Book Haven discussion

Kiss of the Butterfly
This topic is about Kiss of the Butterfly
Vampires > Balkan Vampires

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (last edited Sep 16, 2012 05:31PM) (new) - added it

James Lyon Kiss of the Butterfly by James Lyon James Lyon

The word "vampire" came from the lands of the former Yugoslavia and entered the western languages in the 1720s. Today's pop-culture vampire bears little resemblance to the original creature that existed in Balkan folklore and culture. My new book, "Kiss of the Butterfly, tries to rectify this.

Kirkus Reviews wrote of my new novel, “Kiss of the Butterfly”: "In the glut of vampire-themed novels now on the market, Lyon’s debut stands out… skillful… authentic… fascinating… inspired… Lyon executes it perfectly... vivid... engaging... highly promising... sophisticated..."
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

Meticulously researched and written, “Kiss of the Butterfly” is set against the backdrop of Yugoslavia's breakup. It weaves together intricate threads from the 15th, 18th and 20th centuries to create a rich phantasmagorical tapestry of allegory and reality about divided loyalties, friendship and betrayal, virtue and innocence lost, obsession and devotion, desire and denial, lust and rejection. It is about the thirst for life and the hunger for death, rebirth and salvation. And vampires.

Vampires have formed an integral part of Balkan folklore for over a thousand years. "Kiss" represents a radical departure from popular vampire legend, based as it is on genuine Balkan folklore from as far back as the 14th century, not on fantasy. "Kiss of the Butterfly" offers up the real, horrible creatures that existed long before Dracula and places them within a modern spectrum.

Imagine if Umberto Eco wrote about vampires. This book has nothing sparkly in it, or nothing for the sexually frustrated, hormonally-addled teenager.

These are original vampires, and this book is for the person who is willing to engage their brain. If you liked Da Vinci Code, Dracula, and Indiana Jones, you'll like "Kiss".

message 2: by L.Y. (new) - added it

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) Looking at the reviews is making me wish I had a kindle. I'd buy it if I did.

message 3: by James (new) - added it

James Lyon ABC News mentioned Kiss of the Butterfly and quoted the author, James Lyon in a story about a village in Serbia that was in fear of the vampire Sava Savanovic.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/v...

Kiss of the Butterfly by James Lyon

message 4: by Luka (new)

Luka Pejić (lukapejic38) I'm from Balkan (Bosnia and Herzegovina). High five! B)

message 5: by Cary (last edited Dec 03, 2012 01:26PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments I like the historic Vampire mythos of Yugoslavia so much better than modern Vampires. Comparing it to Da Vinci Code & Indiana Jones is wierd. Dracula is clasic lit way outah the league of those pop books. If I could get it in paperback I would. Anthony Loy'ds desrciption of the Balkan war is so spooky. When he is talking about the silent woods,and if they could only talk about all the mass graves there. The Balkans is a good setting for a vampire story. I think I'll see if it's avail in paperback.

message 6: by James (new) - added it

James Lyon Cary wrote: "I like the historic Vampire mythos of Yugoslavia so much better than modern Vampires. Comparing it to Da Vinci Code & Indiana Jones is wierd. Dracula is clasic lit way outah the league of those pop..."

Cary,

Regarding what you wrote of Anthony Loyd's description of the Balkan Wars, here is a link to an excerpt from a poem I wrote about the Visegrad Bridge over the Drina River, a bridge noted as a site of executions of civilians in many wars, both past and present. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

Bridge of white, bridge of blood,
Witness this eternal flood
Of scarlet flowing from your stone,
And bodies in the water thrown.

Peaks of limestone, waters green,
Only you have stood and seen
The souls of those who bled and died,
While mothers standing, watching, cried.

Awake, oh bridge, from slumber deep,
To span the ceaseless torrent. Keep
The Sons of Adam hearty and hale,
And warn them of this darkest vale.

Waters colored emerald green,
Foreboding, eternal, watchful, keen.
Hold your secrets, guard them well,
Let no mortal ever tell

The horrors hidden in these hills.
Lest darkness from the Balkans spills
Into the world and spreads afar
To poison hearts and peace to mar.

-- Excerpt from "Ode to a Balkan Bridge", by James Lyon

Sadly, there is no paperback version of Kiss of the Butterfly available as of yet. All the major publishers panicked and backed out during the middle of negotiations when Wall Street crashed in September 2008. However, if no publisher comes knocking soon, I plan on making a print-on-demand version available shorty after New Year.

message 7: by James (new) - added it

James Lyon Luka wrote: "I'm from Balkan (Bosnia and Herzegovina). High five! B)"

Vozdra iz Rajevosa!

message 8: by James (new) - added it

James Lyon Kiss of the Butterfly by James Lyon

Vampire Alert!! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

Over the weekend, the author visited the Serbian vampire villages of Zarožje and Kisiljevo. Zarožje is home to the watermill of the vampire Sava Savanović. Kisiljevo is the home to the vampire Peter Plogojowitz and the first recorded mention of the word "vampire" in history. During the course of the next weeks, the author will share photos, video, and excerpts from his interviews with the villagers in a series entitle "The Vampire Hunter".

Make certain to add the "Kiss of the Butterfly" page to your "interests" list on Facebook to receive all the latest information.

message 9: by James (new) - added it

James Lyon Vampire Hunting, Part I

-The vampire Sava Savanović comes from a remote area called Zarožje, high in the forested mountains of western Serbia. Zarožje isn't really a village, but a series of isolated homes scattered across steep mountainsides. The first road to the area was built in 1977, and electricity arrived one year later. As I prepared to leave the main road and trek through the snow to find Sava’s infamous haunted watermill, a stinging wind blew icy snow crystals directly into my face and reduced visibility to less than a few hundred meters, while heavy mists hovered around the sharp crags rising from the steep slopes. Vapors crept in and out of the tree-tops and my eyes watered from the sharp cold and sleet.

Photo at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

message 10: by Luka (new)

Luka Pejić (lukapejic38) James wrote: "Luka wrote: "I'm from Balkan (Bosnia and Herzegovina). High five! B)"

Vozdra iz Rajevosa!"

:D