Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Drilling Leases Scrapped in Utah

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I am so glad to read this story! How about you? It's so freaking beautiful out there near Arches. I would hate to see it ruined.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/us/...

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Oh, and here's the picture in an ad near the NYT story.

message 3: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1018 comments "The cancellation is effective immediately and means that the government will forfeit $6 million in fees from the bidders."

That part does not even bother me.

What really counts is that the president wants to put cap and trade policies on coal and now close down 100,000 acres of potential oil reserves. I just can not understand why he is willing to drag down the greatest country on earth.

message 4: by Gåry! (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) EDIT: My apologies... I stooped to his level.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Actions like this scare me because alternatives aren’t up and running. We don’t have energy resources to replace those being made unavailable. We’re all feeling comfortable now because gas and heating prices are much lower than they were four months ago, but they’re heading back up, and probably quicker, as sources are becoming more limited.

Basically I feel like beggars can’t be choosers. And winter is lingering.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Reality check: last I checked there were hundreds of places where active leases were still available for gas drilling on Federal lands without being close to the natural wonders mentioned in this piece.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh...always good to see you, Gary...

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There was a story on NPR tonight about a college student/environmental activist who marched into the auction, got a number, and started bidding on leases. He won some of them, but was promptly scooped up by the FBI and arrested.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I will consider my reality checked.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments deleted member would be a cool name for a band

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Or a eunich

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Deleted Member wrote: "Well, I will consider my reality checked."

OK. Good.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.