UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Wattpad - has anyone experiences of it?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments I popped a chapter of my latest book, The Black Conspiracy, on Wattpad. It looks like a really professional site, but does anyone ever look at Wattpad? I'd love to know about your experiences... reader or author.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments Ken, I put a poem on there a week ago...something akin to dipping a toe in the water. Since then I've had 30 'reads', but no one has voted or commented. I suspect most of the readers are below 25. The forums seem to be written mostly in text speak. It will be interesting to see what reaction you get to your chapter.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Never heard of it before.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I've got the app, but I don't think I've ever used it.

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I've used it a wee bit on my phone but not often.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments Like Katie, I get the impression that the majority of the Wattpad audience are quite young. Apart from the amount of 'text speak', teen-lit seems to be one of the most popular genres.

There are some posts that have had over 4 million reads, so clearly Wattpad is working for some authors.

To date, The Black Conspiracy chapter has had 84 reads (leading to at least 1 sale) so it's been worth doing given it requires so little effort.

I'd certainly appreciate it if anyone here has the time to have a look at The Black Conspiracy on Wattpad... and please hit the VOTE button if you like any of it. And leave a nice comment if you like lots of it!

I guess my view on Wattpad is that in this fast-changing world, we have to explore everything to try and get noticed. However, forums like this mean that we don't have to explore them all by ourselves.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'll definitely look at the app at some point.

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I don't have it but I'll 'LIKE' the Black Consipracty any time!

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments One of my friends posted stuff on Wattpad, and ended up having her concept re-used...

In fairness to the site, they did pull down the offending work after a complaint.

message 10: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Never heard of it before, but just had a bash because it seems so easy to do! Thanks.

http://www.wattpad.com/7307586-jambal...

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments Ignite wrote: "I don't have it but I'll 'LIKE' the Black Consipracty any time!"

You'll be pushing for a third book soon!

message 12: by Kath (last edited Sep 17, 2012 07:35AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Moi? Well, if you're offering Ken!

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments I'd heard that some of the Wattpad posting get copied too, but I didn't feel that putting on a random chapter would be a problem. People can probably copy concepts more easily from your blurb rather than a bit of sample writing.

@Philip - drop me a friend request... or tell me where you were born!

message 14: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Ken wrote: "I'd heard that some of the Wattpad posting get copied too, but I didn't feel that putting on a random chapter would be a problem. People can probably copy concepts more easily from your blurb rathe..."

Done!

As the chapter I've posted is (a) not exactly the same one as appears in the book and (b) is available on my blog anyway, I don't suppose it makes much difference if it is copied or folded into paper aeroplanes!

message 15: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments What about paper hats?

message 16: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "What about paper hats?"

I might have to draw the line at that ;-)

message 17: by Philip (last edited Sep 17, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Ken kindly suggested some amendments - duly done!

http://www.wattpad.com/7307586-jambal...

and thanks to Ken for the vote and comment, much appreciated.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Philip wrote: "Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "What about paper hats?"

I might have to draw the line at that ;-)"

Or emergency tissues?

message 19: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "Philip wrote: "Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "What about paper hats?"

I might have to draw the line at that ;-)"

Or emergency tissues?"

You've got a fixation building up there, GL.

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments At least one British girl built such a large following that she was offered a six-figure deal by Harper Collins. I have no idea how she did it though... there are hundreds of thousands of excerpts/stories posted, so how do you get noticed?

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments i saw the young lady on Sky News. Full marks to her, apparently she was read something like 17 million times. Like others have said, I don't know how. I've had an account for a while and not used it but on the back of her success I posted the opening chapter of one of my existing books. It's had about 30 reads, no comments and I've got about 10 friends, but these are from my Facebook account.

I'll stick with it though and post some more material. It costs nothing and I've got plenty of stuff already written.

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I've nae read it an ye cannae mak me!

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments Maybe we should start a Wattpad 25-?? club for the 'older' reader/writer?

I'll start the ball rolling... Jamie post your Wattpad link, and if I like it, I'll vote, fan you and comment. Mine's The Black Conspiracy on Wattpad... have a look and see what you feel like doing.

I don't believe in mutual liking just to get numbers... our new club just makes others aware! That's rule 1.

message 24: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I tried reading it but the internet at uni broke... I wonder if it was my fault?

message 25: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Brooklin (jbbrooklin) | 11 comments I used Wattpad a lot about three years ago when it was pre-installed on a cheap tablet I bought. That's where I read the "Dinner with a Vampire" which was just mentioned above. It is the book with the huge book deal (it was a great read and I will definitely buy the book).

For one of my german books I use Wattpad quite successfully to generate sales. The german audience also tends to be young. The plus there is that it is not as crowded with authors as the english Wattpad version so you get noticed with less effort. I tried it for my english fantasy novel but for that it hardly is worth the effort.

message 26: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Brooklin (jbbrooklin) | 11 comments You can choose your language and then the content changes accordingly.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "I tried reading it but the internet at uni broke... I wonder if it was my fault?"

Try again Jud... I'm sure you didn't break the Internet!

message 28: by James (new)

James Calbraith (jcalbraith) | 15 comments I've used Wattpad as a repository for some short stories, but with very little effect. It seems to be a kind of literary deviantArt. Lots of kids reading stories about witches and vampires.

I also tried to use Figment, but that doesn't even have view count, so I have no idea if anyone even saw my stories there. I'm not really doing anything to promote them though, so they're just lying there waiting for random passers-by.

message 29: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments James, figment is targetted purely at teens, as well.

message 30: by Aoibhínn (last edited Sep 20, 2012 05:56PM) (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) My friend's 14 year old daughter was talking about this. She found it through school. Wattpad seems to be advertised as a teen site. I suppose it would be handy to use if you were an indie YA author.

message 31: by D.D. Chant (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:58AM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I've been on wattpad for a little over a year now, it is certainly geared toward teens but has other users too!!! The biggest problem with wattpad is that while there are a lot of readers there are also a LOT of read 4 readers!!!

Everyone has their own story and will only read yours/ comment/ vote if you do the same to theirs, something I refuse to do!!!

On the plus side there are still a lot of genuine readers who come across your story and recommend it to others when they like it. I think it works best if you have a series and you put the first book up free and links to buy the next in the series... at least thats what I hoping!!! ;-P

This is me!

http://www.wattpad.com/user/DDChant

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments D.D. wrote: "This is me!"

Hi D.D., I had a quick look at Broken City... really interesting. I voted and commented.

You've certainly attracted a lot of reads & comments... great job.

message 33: by Roger (new)

Roger Cave | 129 comments I've seen this app on Android and have often wonder how it all works. I'm not too sure if it'll work for me, but I have considered writing a couple fo shorts for the site and see what come of it.

message 34: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Ken wrote: "D.D. wrote: "This is me!"

Hi D.D., I had a quick look at Broken City... really interesting. I voted and commented.

You've certainly attracted a lot of reads & comments... great job."

Thank you!!!

message 35: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments Ken wrote: "You've certainly attracted a lot of reads & comments... great job."
D.D. wrote: "Thank you!!!"

No problem... I just wish I knew what your secret was!

message 36: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments You've reminded me to have another bash at it. Not sure that it achieves much but it is so easy to do ;-)

message 37: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Philip wrote: "You've reminded me to have another bash at it. Not sure that it achieves much but it is so easy to do ;-)"

Should only 1 person read it Philip that's 1 more person than if you hadn't done it. And then if they tell 3 friends and they tell 3 friends and they tell 3 friends etc... You'll be a best seller in no time!!

message 38: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Philip wrote: "You've reminded me to have another bash at it. Not sure that it achieves much but it is so easy to do ;-)"

Should only 1 person read it Philip that's 1 more person than if you hadn..."

Thanks for the optimistic note :-) You're quite right, of course. Today, Wattpad, tomorrow...the Job Centre!

message 39: by David (new)

David Wailing | 834 comments I'm reading this thread and stroking my chin thoughtfully...! Thanks to everyone who's posted and raised awareness of Wattpad.

message 40: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments David wrote: "I'm reading this thread and stroking my chin thoughtfully...! Thanks to everyone who's posted and raised awareness of Wattpad."

Stop stroking and post something... you know it makes sense.