You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > October Toppler Coming Up!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 205 (205 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Debra (last edited Sep 19, 2012 05:23AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments What does DIY stand for?

Sounds like we are going to have fun, fun, fun!

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Sep 19, 2012 05:25AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17693 comments Do-It-Yourself books.

So next to me I have a "Teach Yourself Woodwork" book. So if I read that and built a shelf, and posted you all a photo... before it probably fell off the wall knowing me.

message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17693 comments Lol I was about to post "Do It Yourself!" and then realised that could have been taken COMPLETELY the wrong way.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Ah, learn something new, as they say. Rusalka: I'm too sleepy to have interpreted a response in the wrong way. lol

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I can't imagine taking time off of reading to do a project! What were you guys THINKING!? lol

message 6: by Almeta (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:57PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments Debra wrote: "I can't imagine taking time off of reading to do a project! What were you guys THINKING!? lol"

I know! I picked up Sneaky Green Uses for Everyday Things by Cy Tymony at the library and have thumbed through it. A Nuclear Energy Simulator will not likely be my project!...More like a Tube Sorter made from empty toilet tissue rolls.

Note to self: Ask all neighbors for their toilet tissue rolls.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

So, if I've read this right, I can read non-fiction books between those two dates and count pages. I'm guessing pages are poinst and points make prizes? Not toppled before, but I do have a little stash of new non-fiction that needs reading. Nothing quite as satisfying as opening a new book. Can't imagine I'll be putting up a shelf though!

message 8: by Almeta (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:46AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments Judy wrote: "Okay, the clarification that points can only be claimed from one category has been added. Thanks for bringing that up, Almeta. Your cookie is that if you claim points from the Tricks category, you ..."

So just like Halloween, if I execute a Trick I get no Treat!

Although your Rainbow Cookies are tasty, thanks.

message 9: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3615 comments Alright I have the dates marked in my Calendar and I will have to check back for the rules, they look too mind-boggling to me right now.

message 10: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments Judy wrote: "Haha You have a way with words, Almeta. You did enjoy the cookie though, right? ..."

Um Hum, Yummy!

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I absolutely cannot wait for this toppler! I have a lot of books from my AtW challenge that are non-fiction that I need to read.

message 12: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I think I geddit.

I have two greens by my bed waiting for me to get round to them which will do nicely to start. And I also have Wild Swans, which will give me lots of pages.

message 13: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments So I do either the brew or trick to get a treat? So if I read Wild Swans which is (picking number at random here) 678 pages I then get 500 pages free for the brew totalling 1178 pages? Then I can get my treats? Or have I got it muddled?

So maybe I don't geddit.

message 14: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Ah, but I may completely change my mind come Octoppler.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2166 comments Ooo I'm liking the look of this one...now to plan... :-D

message 16: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Judy? Do the treats have to be read during the alloted time for the Toppler?

message 17: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Judy, so sorry! But what if I have 500 pages and the Toppler is over. Do I still get to redeem those pages for a treat? I understand that I won't earn any pages after the Toppler end date, but just curious if I can still redeem the earned pages.

message 18: by Almeta (last edited Sep 20, 2012 08:18AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments In your updated rules, I think you meant the word Treats here: "do a project, I can't also claim points under the Tricks Treats category if it had an orange cover"

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'll read books, post them and let someone with a bit more experience do the maths. (or is that cheating terribly?!)

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51046 comments So (thinking categories here), if I was foolish enough to read a book that was 1000 pages long and actually accomplished it, could I claim both a Witch's Brew and a Trick using the same book? Or, would I have to claim 2 Witch's Brews, or 2 Treats or 2 Tricks?

Am I over thinking this?

message 21: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3615 comments I get the math, Judy. But I am not sure what is meant by free pages here. As far as I get it, I do any task from the Witches Brew and Tricks in order to get a Treat?

Also, what does pages count mean in here - Free: fiction read of your choice (pages count)?

message 22: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3615 comments Alright, got it. Thanks Judy. :)

message 23: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1045 comments What a good time to get my green rainbow books out of the way :)

message 25: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments AmyK wrote: "I so want to read this and make one Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead"

Really too cool!

message 26: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Debra wrote: "I can't imagine taking time off of reading to do a project! What were you guys THINKING!? lol"

My thoughts exactly, Debra! lol. However, I love Almeta's proposed project! Hehe. Hope she doesn't activate the dang thing! LOL

I could read Sleeping Naked is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days Sleeping Naked is Green How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days by Vanessa Farquharson for a project.

message 27: by Deedee (last edited Sep 20, 2012 03:41PM) (new)

Deedee | 96 comments Are there lists for:

(1) two books the group selected for the Death Narrates Group Theme Read

(2) classic horror novels (50-plus years old)

I figure Frankenstein would fit "classic horror novel" but I'm sure there are more.
50 years ago was 1962.

message 28: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments Connie wrote: "I could read Sleeping Naked is Green..."

Looking forward to that picture! :P

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17693 comments Connie wrote: "I could read Sleeping Naked is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days for a project"

That could be an interesting project photo...

message 30: by Larae (new)

Larae Blankemeier (laraetx) Why does the whole toppler thing confuse me? Is it that we just read as many pages as we can in the timeframe indicated?

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8286 comments Judy wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Do-It-Yourself books.

So next to me I have a "Teach Yourself Woodwork" book. So if I read that and built a shelf, and posted you all a photo... before it probably fell off the wall knowing me."

That would be perfect. (And if the shelf falls off the wall take a picture of it and start a new Blooper (or Bleeper) thread. lol.)"

Or you could post:

Do It Yourself...

(picture of shelf on wall)

Or Not!

(picture of fallen shelf)

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8286 comments AmyK wrote: "I so want to read this and make one Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead"

Oh, please, please, please make these creatures! I really want to see what they look like. (make extras and sell them to us!)

message 33: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8286 comments Larae wrote: "Why does the whole toppler thing confuse me? Is it that we just read as many pages as we can in the timeframe indicated?"

Yes, and no. A Toppler is basically a read-a-thon, so the goal is to read and get books off of your tbr, but there's no requirement to read the whole time, or to read a specific number of pages. It's all for fun, and to earn badges on your Wall of Fame.

To add to the fun, there's a theme, and tasks and silly things. Also, posting about what you're reading and want to read, along with cheering on others, is a big part of the fun. You can check out the old Topplers in the Closed Discussion Topic (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...) and get an idea of what goes on during a Toppler.

As you can tell from a lot of our comments, we're all about having fun with reading and chatting.

message 34: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1045 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "AmyK wrote: "I so want to read this and make one Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead"

Oh, please, please, please make these creatures! I really want to see what..."

I put the book on hold at the library. I was thinking that depending on how heavy they are they would be awesome to put magnets on the back of or something.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

AmyK wrote: "I so want to read this and make one Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead"

I bought that as a secret santa one year for someone who claimed to be a bookworm and loved Zombies. Seemed the perfect combination.

Subsequently discovered that they couldn't sew for toffee though.

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2166 comments Helen wrote: "AmyK wrote: "I so want to read this and make one Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead"

I bought that as a secret santa one year for someone who claimed to be a b..."

But what a brilliant thing to practice on though!

message 37: by Almeta (last edited Sep 21, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments Larae wrote: "Why does the whole toppler thing confuse me? Is it that we just read as many pages as we can in the timeframe indicated?"

I believe the spirit of the thing is to read non-fiction books that have been on your to-do list for a while, thus Toppling them from your shelves. AND to encourage others to do the same.

This time, however, instead of counting books finished, you will be counting the number of pages in books finished.

If you rarely read non-fiction, you are given the option of reading classic horror, true crime, or poetry instead, and are given several chances to read any fiction by completing other tasks.

To claim more pages than you have actually read, you must complete certain tasks from Witches Brew or Tricks.

For every 500 pages you have accumulated (read or not), you earn a Treat, which allows you to read your fiction novel or read any book with an orange cover so that you can join the “Rainbow Challenge” late. Or you can claim 250 more pages toward another 500 page Treat goal.

Most of all you are to have silly fun while sharing your reading projects!

message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2012 05:03AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17693 comments Almeta wrote: "..."

Exactly what she said! Thanks for the exec summary Almeta.

I joined for the last Toppler, and I must say I spent so much time laughing it was ridiculous. Mr Rusalka was panicking more than me yelling "Get off the internet and read!!" But it was most of the fun!

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51046 comments Awesome synopsis Almeta!

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2166 comments With the timeframe for this toppler, do we use the times from our own time zones or do we need to re-calculate to match EST like we do for the 24 hr topplers?

message 41: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2166 comments Judy wrote: "Recalculate EST so we can read together and jolly along together."

I thought so but a small voice in my head demanded that I check (I plan to mock it and chant 'I was right' at it until lunchtime!)

message 42: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2166 comments Judy wrote: "LOL, Sam! You obviously have picked up on the togetherness of past Topplers. :-)"

Shame the voice didn't ;-)

message 43: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2166 comments He's obviously not on the ball this morning, all the other ones got it right! ;-)

message 44: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10475 comments Janice wrote: "Awesome synopsis Almeta!"

Ah shucks. :0)

message 45: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Sounds like everyone is getting pretty geeked up for this upcoming Toppler. Sis and I plan to keep each other company as much as possible. Work will be the ONLY thing interfering with my reading that week!

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I know! That pesty ole' work thingy. Always getting in the way of a good time.

message 47: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Okay, I'm on board. I always have a hard time getting through my non-fiction books. Fortunately, I have some as audiobooks, so I can listen to one as I create a do-it-myself project from another.

message 48: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments ... I might actually be excited about this toppler enough to start reading a lot again!

Has anyone actually ever read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?

message 49: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3615 comments I just spent 2.5 hours organizing my ebooks and found I have a huge collection of non-fiction books (cookery, self help etc). Yeah, all set for the toppler. Well, almost. Now I have to decide which ones I will be reading.

A question: Do books like these On Death and Dying count as non-fiction?

message 50: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3615 comments Ah good, that means I can finish off some of my text-related books. Killing two birds with one stone. :D

I do the same, Judy. Choosing something and then reading something else. But I am determined to think of at least some of the books I will be reading otherwise most of the time is wasted deciding. Can't have that time wasted from the Toppler time, can we? ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.