Chicks On Lit discussion

Girl Talk > Book Values & Insurance??

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh I don't think so Kelly Jo...not if you have rare or antique books. I don't have those so I would have no need to insure my collection of books. Of course I would miss them after a fire but they aren't anything I couldn't purchase again with insurance money.

My photographs and negatives are what I would grab in the case of a fire (after my cat!!). I have all of my photos stored on my computer and I backed them up on CD's so I can grab them if I need to do that.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2533 comments Mod
I would think if you have home owners insurance you could add your books to that. I would imagine youd have to get an appraisel first? I worry about my pictures too and I know those can't be insured but I would think since you can place a concrete value on them then they could be insured. I don't have any rares or antiques so I'm not sure. I imagine there is a depressiation value though with modern books but im not sure how that figures in.

message 3: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I was thinking homeowners would be the way to go unless your valuables are very valuable. The other night on the antiques road show someone had a copy of the first book of mormon and it was water stained and still big bucks!!

Most of my books are just books, some i love and some so so. My sis does have a collection of more valuable ones so I know she has more insurance on those.
Have you read those Dunning books? He writes this series about a book collector. I have only read one or two but they make the book collecting trade so intriguing!

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli When I worked at State Farm you did have to buy a rider for that kind of thing so you are right Kelly Jo. It went under a Personal Liability Umbrella which covers rare art, furs, jewelry, collections and such. They actually aren't that much money per month though.....it just adds on to your Homeowners Ins.

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Feb 08, 2009 12:10AM) (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Interesting conversation I just have to throw in a comment.

Holli, when you say you have all of your pictures on CD and will grab them (after your cat!) in case of a fire, don't take that chance.

We lost our home to fire 10 years ago. I had all of my pictures, baby books etc. in an old shipping box by the door and always said that would be the first thing I chucked out the door in case of a fire. Well, the fire started while I was at work. We lived out in the country. Needless to say, all was lost by the time the fire trucks arrived including a precious momma cat named Puddles.
Sorry for the downer on this conversation, but copy your CD's and put them in a lock box somewhere else. You can never be too careful and trust me, some of the pictures (and other things) can never be replaced.
It does put into perspective what is really important in life though!
So that's the end of my lecture for the evening!

And Kelly Jo, my advice would be to make sure your books are insured too!

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli You know what Cindy? You are absolutely right about that. Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your fire....that must have been devastating.....

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli Yes they do Kelly Jo......being from CA I've seen where they have to let houses burn sometimes if they can't do anything about it or the fire is too out of control so yep....good time to get a safe deposit box.