Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Practical Pagan > Ancestor Veneration

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Following on from the poll about ancestry and it's influence on choosing a path, I was curious as to how important - if at all - ancestor veneration was to members.

Does it play a part in your tradition, religion or spirituality?

Personally, I do have an ancestor altar, and I am slowly integrating those practices relating to my ancestors into my other spiritual activities. It seems fitting given my chosen path and the exhultation of those who had gone before in myth, etc.

message 2: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I can't honestly say that I'm committed to any tradition, still less religion (the very word conjures negative thoughts and feelings), so 'spirituality' works best for me.

I haven't an ancestor altar, but I do think about those unknown people and wonder about their lives often, especially when walking in the countryside.

Since researching recent ancestors (back to about 1805) and knowing where they lived, I think about those places too (some on my father's side are not far from here), and imagine their lives, but it's those more distant ancestors that seem to hover tantalizingly just out of reach.

message 3: by C-Cose (new)

C-Cose Daley | 75 comments Ancestral wrote: "Following on from the poll about ancestry and it's influence on choosing a path, I was curious as to how important - if at all - ancestor veneration was to members.

Does it play a part in your tra..."

Greetings,

In my own case, my most influential--as in those that I know the most about--ancestors are still with me. I absolutely include special mention of their influences in any ritual that I do, but have yet to frame that in the form of an altar or other observance.

When the day comes that either one is no longer "here", I fully plan on giving them a more permanent place in my home that I can visit as I need.

message 4: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments How are the ancestors represented traditionally? Pictures or statues? I'm assuming this is the Taoist tradition?

message 5: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Well, some of the the prehistoric peeps in the British Isles used mounds, some buried their ancestors in small corners of their houses, others built megalithic monuments.

In more recent times photographic representations can do, though I still like attending on sites - graveyards and/or ancient - for special occasions.

message 6: by Spider (new)

Spider Goddess (spider_goddess) | 5 comments I honor my ancestors as part of my practice. I have an altar in my home where I regularly place offerings. I also commune with them in daily life and try to honor them.

message 7: by Aaron, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2012 09:58PM) (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Spider wrote: "I honor my ancestors as part of my practice. I have an altar in my home where I regularly place offerings. I also commune with them in daily life and try to honor them."

What does the altar look like? Is there anything else on it besides the offerings?

message 8: by Spider (new)

Spider Goddess (spider_goddess) | 5 comments Aaron wrote: "Spider wrote: "I honor my ancestors as part of my practice. I have an altar in my home where I regularly place offerings. I also commune with them in daily life and try to honor them."

What does t..."

I have photos and possessions of my ancestors. There are also bones and hair from some, as well as similar items from family pets. I regularly place flowers and other items that I know various ancestors loved. I also have a spirit house that my children and I crafted for them.

message 9: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Thank you for sharing that. It was indeed interesting and informative.