Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Tomb of Terminated Threads > Horror Stories We Hate

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) Bag of Bones by Stephen King it took everything I had to finish this book.

Desperation by Stephen King - this is the first King book that I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Bite by Richard Laymon umm retarded, completely totally retarded, and not about Vampires at all!

The Woods are Dark by Richard Laymon weak... the idea that someone could go from being a professional white collar father to a raving homicidal cannibalistic rapist in 24 hours and NOT RECOGNIZE his family is a little more than I'm willing to buy into

In Silent Graves by Gary Braunbeck - master of the run-on sentence

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 123 comments I actually liked Bag of Bones and Desperation. Tak! Desperation had a complementary novel, allegedly by Richard Bachmann, set in Ohio (or somewhere like that) called Regulators.

I would agree with Bite though. Left the reader in some doubt at the end as to the reality of the vampires; probably because the author himself couldn't decide.

Tick Tock by Koontz is another that springs to mind. I should have read the author's introduction first - then I wouldn't have bought it. Comedy and horror shouldn't be mixed - IMHO.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul | 123 comments I don't know when King wrote Needful Things, but I think Rose Madder and Lisey's Story are newer,and I thought they were reasonable. Not vintage King, but OK.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I agree Rebecca, I love some Laymon, and Love old King (which is why I probably get so upset when he puts out Klunkers). I've tried Braunbeck several times and just can't seem to get into him all that much.

I also hated Queen of Blood by Bryan Smith, but I chalked that up to having not read the first in the series... maybe if I had read that one I would have been able to enjoy Queen of Blood.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments I didn't really like Succulent Prey by James White Wrath at all...the main character thoroughly annoyed me...

I know I'm really in the minority here, but I didn't like Carrie much either, or at least not as much as I expected to...same with Wetbones by John Shirley. It was almost hard to get through, not because of the gore or anything, just very dry at times.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 10 comments Have to agree about Tick Tock total garbage!

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Jones | 13 comments I loved Desperation and Bag of Bones, Girl who loved Tom Gordon was pretty good. I didnt care for Roadwork by King or Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker, they were ok though.

message 8: by Tressa (last edited Feb 06, 2009 01:02PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Did anyone recently see an article about Stephen King slamming Stephenie Myers as a bad writer? Umm, Stephen, I'm waiting for my apology for the dreadful piles of crap called Tommyknockers and Dreamcatcher. King is hit or miss, and when he misses he's bloody awful, so he needs to stop talking smack in public about other authors.

Desperation was sloppy but a good story; The Regulators that came out at the same time was much better.

Hee hee, Rob. I'm not too enamored of Wetbones either. All over the place. But I did finish it finally.

I hated Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

message 9: by William (new)

William (acknud) Tressa wrote: "Did anyone recently see an article about Stephen King slamming Stephenie Myers as a bad writer? Umm, Stephen, I'm waiting for my apology for the dreadful piles of crap called Tommyknockers and Drea..."

Where was this article? BTW, Myers only appeals to pre-pubescent girls! :-) Check out the Group Vampire Lovers for evidence of that!

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, Rob, it's all us. Never you. :)

William, here's a link to the Stephen King vs. Stephanie Myers smackdown: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b8235...

I haven't even read the Twilight books because I'm not too into teen vampire books. And I've gotten a big laugh out of most of the other groups here. There's one for Taco Bell lovers! What a waste of space.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Melissa wrote: "I didn't really like Succulent Prey by James White Wrath at all...the main character thoroughly annoyed me...

I know I'm really in the minority here, but I didn't like Carrie much either, or at ..."

I agree with Carrie. It was alright but nothing that really impressed me.

Actually about 50% of Stephen King is unreadable. I haven't made it through Bag of Bones and Desperation was totally unreadable. Laymon is in the same ballpark but he writes shorter stories and gets to the point much quicker.

message 12: by Tressa (last edited Feb 06, 2009 08:34PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments King Dinosaur (love the umlaut...reminds me of the misplaced umlauts in heavy metal group names), I read The Totem and enjoyed it. The whole story had an eerie, ominous feel to it. But I don't agree that it's one of the best horror books of all time. I think I read that and saw it placed high on a list of the best horror books.

Tim Lebbon's Berserk is fantastic and one of my favorite horror books.

Jason, I agree about King. Back in the early '80s when he was at his best I was so enamored of him. He really has disappointed me the past twenty years. I didn't think he'd ever have a bad book in him, but he saturated the market with every idea that came to his mind.

message 13: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (kurt_jensen) | 4 comments King Dinösaur wrote:
Everything I've read by Bentley Little. I tried to see his appeal but couldn't for the life of me. Same with Tim Lebbon."

I agree with Tim Lebbon, I have started 3-4 of his books and not been able to finish any. However, I really liked the short story "White".

I liked Little's "Mailman" but the "Burning" was awful.

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike Everything Stephen King wrote since 1980 (exept maybe the Dark Tower series) :-)

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Of course every writer has a right to his or her own opinion. But I think it's tacky to slam other authors the way he did. He's no Proust. He not only slammed Myers, but James Patterson and a few others.

Look, King can be entertaining, but his writing style is not all that either. It's very formulaic and pop-culture oriented and that gets tedious at times. And his editor needs to chop the fat out of his books; he's allowed to ramble for too long. His stories back in the seventies and early eighties were less bloated than his later ones.

I have high hopes for his son, Joe Hill. He is starting off as a very good writer. I just finished his new graphic novel Locke & Key.

message 16: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments I didn't like Twilight. It was an o.k. book, but I was expecting real vampires. I guese that's my fault too. I thought there would be more horror in a teen vampire story. How stupid could I get right? The story line was good, but I didn't like the love at first sight part. It just seems too unrealistic for me.

Sorry for going a little off topic here. I just had to speak my mind about Twilight.

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) Heh, can't be any worse than Laymon's love at first site :)

Nope, haven't read Twilight, not going to either... I've still managed to avoid the Harry Potters, though my sister said I need to read the last one before handing it to the little ones... she said it's pretty dark.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I try to stay away from literary "trends" too. That's why I didn't read The Red Tent and A Thousand Splendid Suns until years after they were published. I could kick myself for being so stupid because they're really good reads.

And I did the same thing with Harry Potter. These books are fantastic and I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't read them. I'm glad I was caught up in Harry Mania, even if it was for the last two books.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments I have no interest in Twilight but the Harry Potter series was fun.

message 20: by Laurin (last edited Feb 09, 2009 06:50AM) (new)

Laurin (scylla) | 3 comments I haven't read the Twilight series and don't have any interest in it, as my 13 year old niece and her friends think it's the MOST AWESOME THING EVER!111 But I think Stephen King should have kept his negative comments about other authors to himself. People in glass houses, and all that! I am a fan of King, but agree with others here who said he wrote his best in the early 80's.

I agree with you about American Psycho, Rob. Awful!

As for Bentley Little, I enjoy his writing, but sometimes the gore/violence factor can be a little over the top even for me! The Walking was the first Bentley Little book I read and I highly recommend it. I also recommend The Collection. If anyone is a fan of the Masters of Horror series on Showtime, this book contains the short story "The Washingtonians."

message 21: by Tressa (last edited Feb 09, 2009 11:23AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My wife's read all the Harry Potters and has tried to get me to, but they just don't interest me at all. Maybe it's a reaction to being overexposed to it or something, I dunno. Straight-up fantasy just isn't my bag anyway. Especially when it's written for young people.

Funny thing about Harry Potter--it shouldn't be my thing either. I'm not big on YA literature and have never been a big fantasy fan. But these books hooked me from the beginning. Rob, I think you'll find when you read them at some point in the future that you'll feel the same way.

I'm a big animal lover and punk hater, so when I was reading Red I was like "all right!" and "kill those snot-nosed punks!" I cannot STAND disrespectful people, and killing a man's constant companion is as disrespectful as you can get. I think everyone should be able to walk around in this world free of molestation. Red and his owner were minding their own business while on a walk in the woods; the unfortunate punks should've left them alone. :) Tee hee hee.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments I only read the first Twilight book because for some bizarre reason my Aunt bought it for me for Christmas...I would never have bought or read it otherwise, and I only finished it because I have never NOT finished a book...

But needless to say, it was horrible. I'm quite sure I am one of the very few 18 year old girls who is not into it...which is fine by me.

message 23: by Rick (new)

Rick L | 0 comments the historian by elizabeth kostova...what a big pile of garbage that book was...i couldn't even finish it just a long drawn out boring history of vlad tepes, and most of it being speculation more than fact

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rick, I thought it was just me. I love a good vampire story, but this one was boooring. And I have a high threshold for even boring, slow-starting books. Wasn't this a critics' darling?

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Rick wrote: "the historian by elizabeth kostova...what a big pile of garbage that book was...i couldn't even finish it just a long drawn out boring history of vlad tepes, and most of it being speculation more t..."

That one took awhile to get thru.

message 26: by Jude (new)

Jude (judewmire) | 3 comments So, I know this is probably not a popular opinion, but I recently finished Summer of Night by Dan Simmons and really couldn't stand it on almost every level. It's strange though, because all his elements are typically things I enjoy. But halfway through the novel I stopped reading, entirely frustrated by his meandering, and started to study it. The way a forensics expert studies a car crash victim. What happened to turn something that could have been good into such a mangled mess? So, in that regard, even though I couldn't stand it; it was informative!

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments Hah, I just bought Summer of Night. :\

But, I did really enjoy The Terror, which is one of the reasons I order Summer of Night. I hope it has alot of the elements that The Terror did...

message 28: by William (new)

William (acknud) Kristen wrote: "Heh, can't be any worse than Laymon's love at first site :)

Nope, haven't read Twilight, not going to either... I've still managed to avoid the Harry Potters, though my sister said I need to rea..."

Read the Harry Potter series. They really are enjoyable!

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments There have only been a FEW horror novels that I just couldn't finish reading, even after 60-80 pages. One was a book called Wake Up Screaming by Vincent Courtenay (a Zebra title published in the late 80's, early 90's, I think). The other was Sephera Giron's Mistress of the Dark. That book started out with so much promise and 80+ pages into it...snooze-fest. I really tried but when I force myself to read something, naw, not gonna do it. Teri Jacobs' The Void was a disappointment, but I did finish it.

Oh...and I hate vampire novels. I WILL read something fresh and original (Clegg's Vampyricon series, for example) but if it even sounds like a typical Euro-trash, Anne Rice-ripoff...not gonna bother.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments That's cool, Rebecca. I just couldn't get through it, is all. Summer of Night was a great book. A Winter Haunting--the sequel--was pretty good, as well. I know it was mentioned in another thread, but his massive tome, The Terror, was a brilliant, if dense, book. The new one that just came out, Drood, sounds absolutely fascinating. Deals with Dickens, and his longtime friend and fellow author, Wilkie Collins...and a mysterious stranger named Drood.

Rebecca wrote: "I loved Mistress of the Dark and read it in a day.

I also just bought Summer of Night at a used bookstore."

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments But, I did really enjoy The Terror, which is one of the reasons I order Summer of Night. I hope it has alot of the elements that The Terror did...

Speaking of horror stories we hate, I couldn't get into The Terror no matter how hard I tried. When I gave up on the book I tried the audio. I wanted to like it because I love stories like this one, but...what's wrong with me? How come so many others rave about it?

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I dunno what to tell you, Tressa. Maybe give it another try some day. I didn't exactly FLY through this book (let's face it...it is HUGE!) but I wasn't bored by it one bit. In fact, after finishing it--and I know Simmons did his research--I developed a new appreciation of what those early Arctic explorers went through.

Tressa wrote: "But, I did really enjoy The Terror, which is one of the reasons I order Summer of Night. I hope it has alot of the elements that The Terror did...

Speaking of horror stories we hate, I couldn't ge..."

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I personally loved Summer of night, winter haunting and the third one which was Children of night... sadly though I read them in reverse order since I had no idea they were connected.

I loved all of Simmons horror novels I have read, but hate his scifi

message 34: by Jude (new)

Jude (judewmire) | 3 comments I've heard they explain more, and make more sense later on. Sadly, I didn't read them backwards and the first, on it's own, left me with my impressions. I'm hesitant to go further, but someone will likely talk me into it eventually...

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) The only negative to reading them out of order, is that when you get to the first one... you know who's not going to survive since their deaths are mentioned in the second one. The third one could be read without any of the others since the only connector is a character who delves very little into his past.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I'm really surprised--since we're talking about Dan Simmons--no one had mentioned Carrion Comfort. Personally, THAT is my favorite Simmons novel to-date.

Kristen wrote: "I personally loved Summer of night, winter haunting and the third one which was Children of night... sadly though I read them in reverse order since I had no idea they were connected.

I loved al..."

message 37: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments I did not enjoy "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" whatsoever. I kept waiting for something to happen, but it never did. The only element that was remotely scary/disturbing was thinking of one of my kids in that situation.

message 38: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments I've been having a problem with 'The Tower' by Sarah Pinborough. I have read a few of her other books and liked them a lot. But no matter how I try, I just can't get into The Tower. I suppose I will try again some time down the road, but for now, I'm done with it. there are too many books I want to read to struggle with one I don't like.

message 39: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments You mean Tower Hill? Yeah that one was my least favorite of Sarah's books. I haven't read The Hidden yet, have you? Which one's of her's have you read?

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Chris, I finished Carrion Comfort a few months ago. I've got to say there were parts of that book that scared the hell out of me. The old lady's powers were so strong and she didn't let anything go. There were characters I thought would just disappear into the night, but she brought them back to do her bidding. And the way she treated some of the children...I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to be trying to fake the old lady out and have to deal with her through that small boy in that spooky house.

I thought the ending on the island was a little over the top, though. I think this book should have been edited better and some of the fat cut out to make a leaner story. Overall, though, it was a good book.

Scott, Bag of Bones is one of the last King books I read, and I've been a fan since the early '80s. That is a a very underrated book. There's a thread in one of my boards here about book covers, and Bag of Bones has a very memorable one.

message 41: by Kristen (last edited Feb 12, 2009 07:06AM) (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) There was a movie Children of Night? Strange I'd never heard of anything based on that book. I did enjoy the whole AIDS/Cancer whatever it was theory on the vampire myth. And the CDC looking into vampirism is always fun.

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I just looked it up... doesn't sound the same.

Simmons book has a lady from the CDC adopt a baby with strange blood problems in Romania... she brings him back to the US to treat and figures out that whatever the baby has could end up being the cure for cancer/AIDS etc, but the Vampires (which are actually people with a weird blood disorder and a penchant for long life) need the baby for something. It's more of a thriller than a horror book.

message 43: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments The Hollower. It is pretty bad...

message 44: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments That's funny Jason. I really liked The Hollower considering it was a first try for the author.

I've been thinking about this and have realized that I don't really care for Dan Simmons horror work. I DO like his science fiction though. That is what brought him to my attention. Specifically, Hyperion.

message 45: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Dylan wrote: "You mean Tower Hill? Yeah that one was my least favorite of Sarah's books. I haven't read The Hidden yet, have you? Which one's of her's have you read?"

Oops! Yes, I mean Tower Hill. I just can't get into it and I have been trying. so I finally gave up and turned it back in to the library this afternoon.

I have read The Hidden and The Breeding Ground and thought those were terrific! I can't wait to read The Taken but am not to sure about The Reckoning.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I thought Bite was a hoot. I don't understand where all the hate for that book is coming from. Much better than most of his gorier stuff.

Children of Night was excellent. That story hooked me from the beginning. I spent many pleasant summer evenings lying in my hammock reading that book.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 31 comments Tressa wrote: "Yes, Rob, it's all us. Never you. :)

William, here's a link to the Stephen King vs. Stephanie Myers smackdown: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b8235...

I have..."

I laughed so hard when I read that article! He really isn't criticizing her idea of the series but rather her writing, and the first one had some God-awful lines, "so the lion fell in love with the lamb. What a stupid lion! What a stupid lamb!" Between that set and hearing over and OVER again about Edward being gorgeous, hot, and whatever else, I just felt like at any moment friends and colleagues were going to come and laugh at me. Nothing by King ever made me feel that bad, and not all of his books are wonderful.

I agree with Kristen about The Woods Are Dark. After I finished it, it just seemed pointless to me. The other one I didn't really enjoy was Old Flames by Jack Ketchum.

message 48: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 31 comments Rusty wrote: "I did not enjoy "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" whatsoever. I kept waiting for something to happen, but it never did. The only element that was remotely scary/disturbing was thinking of one of my..."

Actually, that's one of my favorite books by King, but I guess I didn't even group it in the horror category, so I viewed it more as a survival story.

message 49: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I agree on Old Flames... very weak though not bad enough for me to "Hate" so much as to "Forget" which may be even worse for a book

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris | 9 comments I read The Host, sort of, by Stephanie Meyers. I hated that book. It had a good plot and could have been really good in 1/4 the pages that it was. Stephanie Meyers just needs some more experience in writing (you don't need to describe everything, every emotion, etc.) Because of that I couldn't bring myself to read the Twilight series.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.