The Dark Mythology discussion

Other Undead and Necromancy > Wannabe Necromancer

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
So, have any of you read the Perseus Jackson books by Rick Rirodan? They are pretty good. Some of my favorite in childrens lit.
Well I just finished the fourth book and there were some pretty amazing acts of necromancy preformed by one of the characters.

I am obsessed with necromancy! The summoning of spirits and the raising of the dead fascinates me, wether in folklore or mythology or in role playing games.

I first discovered what necromancy was when I read a book called "The Thrall and the Dragons Heart" by Elizabeth Boyer. It is one of my top five favorite books, but sadly its out of print.
Anyway, one of the villains was a necromancer who raised armies of Draugar. (a draug is a type of undead being in Norse mythology. the borrow wrights from LOTR are based off them.)

Does anyone else share my obsession, or am I just a freak?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) The Chronicles of Riddick, one of my favorites. The baddies were necromongers.

message 3: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
lol, I am glad you are honest VJ.

Its been so long since I watched that movie.

message 4: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I like the idea of Necromancers. In stories they are generally some of the most colorful characters. In the Warhammer 40,000 universe [tabletop game:] there are a race which I like called Necrons, undead machines. Their commanders and gods are like necromancers and the units are basically zombie machines, possessed by souls of a dead and bitter race.

Sadly I've not read many books that have Necromancers as main characters. What are some other ones, other than Necroscope.

message 5: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
I have a copy of The Thrall and the Dragons Heart as well. It was one of my earlier reads and is still a favorite. The world she created there is fascinating.

As for Warhammer, it's not just the 40k books. It was Warhammer Fantasy long, long before the 40k came about. I used to live and breathe Warhammer but never liked 40k. Primarily because I didn't want to learn a new system or collect all new minis! I still have all my game books and some minis.

You do know that the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton is essentially a necro series? The main character earns her keep by raising (and putting down) the dead. Of course there is a WHOLE lot more going on than that. -grin-

The Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix is a fairly good series and a really good novel is the aptly named The Necromancer by Kevin Dunn. It's pretty dark.

You're right though, there isn't much fiction about it except in passing.
I think the old story The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs is probably the best ever for this genre.

message 6: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
The Monkey's Paw was indeed very good. The Necromancer is an older book isn't it? I have been meaning to read it, just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

message 7: by Brett (new)

Actually, The Necromancer by Kevin Dunn is a new release. 2008 new.
It's set in the old days, around the 1600s I think.

Here is blurb about it. Sounds like there is a lot going on in it actually.

Salem, Massachusetts, 1692: The witch-hunts begin. Neighbors are turning on one another. A smallpox epidemic has broken out. People are dying. One man is responsible, a warlock of great power-The Necromancer-and he has just seduced one of Salem's purest women into a perdition that will haunt her the rest of her life. Using actual historical events as the backdrop for the fictional story of Reverend Ambrose Blayne and Susanna Harrington, it is a novel of passion, horror, love, and the cruelty which man is capable of. It is a deeply disturbing, often graphic depiction of those brutal and uncertain times. The novel, while primarily set in Salem, sprawls across Europe from witches being burned at the stake in Scotland to spiritual awakenings in the Roman Amphitheater and depraved Witches' Sabbats in the Harz Mountains of Germany. The series of events culminates in the warlock's summoning of a Lovecraftian demon which threatens to unknit the fabric of the world and an ending that will chill the reader's blood.

message 8: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Sound good!

But I do believe that there is another book by the same title written during the hight of gotic fiction in the 1800s

message 9: by Brett (new)

Josh! You are absolutely correct! I did some looking and found this at Wikipedia. It sounds pretty interesting and now I HAVE to find a copy to read.
Great! Yet another search for the lost! -grin-

The Necromancer; or, The Tale of the Black Forest is a gothic novel first published in 1794. It is one of the seven 'horrid novels' lampooned by Jane Austen in Northanger Abbey[1:].

The novel consists of a series of lurid tales of hauntings, violence, killings and the supernatural featuring the adventures of Hermann and Helfried and the mysterious wizard Volkert the Necromancer, who has seemingly come back from the dead, set in the Black Forest in Germany.

It has recently been republished in a modern edition by Valancourt Books which, for the first time, reveals the identity of the book's author. Originally credited said to have been "Translated from the German of Lawrence Flammenberg by Peter Teuthold" the novel was originally written in German by Karl Friedrich Kahlert and then translated by Peter Teuthold[2:]. Michael Sadleir notes that "For magniloquent descriptions of 'horrid' episodes, for sheer stylistic fervour in the handling of the supernatural, the work can rank high among its contemporaries."[3:]

Frederick Frank wrote that the novel is a "splendid instance of the Schauerroman at a point of no rational return."[4:]

message 10: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) sounds good, I'll have to scam a copy.

message 11: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Just found a site which has a whole list of books that are tagged with Necromancy or something similar. For those looking for something specific. Check out this list.

http://www.librarything.com/tag/necro...