Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Jacqueline Carey
This topic is about Jacqueline Carey
Book Discussion & Recommendation > New Jacqueline Carey book

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Amandahall25) | 3 comments Any one heard anything about the new Jacqueline Carey book? Dark Currents

I am such a HUGE fan of Jacqueline Carey and I am excited to see where this story goes. It will be interesting to see how life outside of Terre D'Ange is.

message 2: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments Could be fun, I like the Terre D'Ange books, but I could never get into her Sundering books (Banewrecker and Godslayer)

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Sep 16, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Amanda (Amandahall25) | 3 comments Tegan wrote: "Could be fun, I like the Terre D'Ange books, but I could never get into her Sundering books (Banewrecker and Godslayer)"

Ya, I tried to read them also and got through the first 2 but I just couldn't bring myself to ever pick up the 3rd one. But I did like the Santa Olivia books.

message 4: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 49 comments Amanda wrote: "Tegan wrote: "Could be fun, I like the Terre D'Ange books, but I could never get into her Sundering books (Banewrecker and Godslayer)"

Ya, I tried to read them also and got through the first 2 but..."

There are only two books in the Sundering series

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Amandahall25) | 3 comments Brittney wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Tegan wrote: "Could be fun, I like the Terre D'Ange books, but I could never get into her Sundering books (Banewrecker and Godslayer)"

Ya, I tried to read them also and got through ..."

Heh! Hmmm. No wonder I never got to it. Lol. I must have been thinking about another series then. :)

message 6: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Sundering was just too dark for me, I couldn't get into it :(

message 7: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) Looking forward to reading this!

message 8: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 49 comments Jacqueline Carey just put up the list of tour dates for this book. You can find the list on her website http://www.jacquelinecarey.com/ I'm so excited that she is coming to Beaverton Oregon!

message 9: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments Started reading Dark Currents today, really enjoying it. It's also totally not what I expected from Carey, prose style is lighter than that of the Kushiel series.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 33 comments This looks like it would be a really good series. I've got my fingers crossed.

message 11: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments From early on in the book, this made me laugh quite a bit:

"By the way, if you're ever conversing with an actual vampire, do not refer to the House of Shadows as Twilight Manor. There's a reason vampires aren't known for their sense of humor. If you accidentally do so, I'd say run, but it's probably already too late."

message 12: by Caylie (new)

Caylie (csadin) | 28 comments I just finished the book yesterday! I really enjoyed it! Definitely a lot lighter than the Kushiel series, but really good! I really like the structure of the magic and society in the world.

(SPOILER-ISH)

I think it's really interesting that there are certain cities that are "ruled" by certain gods or goddesses from a long time ago. They rule below ground and their sphere of influence keeps the magical creatures from fading out of existence, which I think is really kind of new and fun! And it's cool that the main character is 1/2 incubus!

message 13: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

I really liked this book, although reading SO much in this genre I expected something a little bit deeper from Carey just because of how awesome she is, but by the end I was all on board. There could have been more active conflict I think, especially up front.

And not totally a fan of LI? What about you?

message 14: by Caylie (new)

Caylie (csadin) | 28 comments Felicia wrote: "I really liked this book, although reading SO much in this genre I expected something a little bit deeper from Carey just because of how awesome she is, but by the end I was all on board. There co..."

LI?

message 15: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Caylie wrote: "Felicia wrote: "I really liked this book, although reading SO much in this genre I expected something a little bit deeper from Carey just because of how awesome she is, but by the end I was all on ..."

The love interest. The OTHER LI was WAY more interesting I think. OH and the tail stuff. CREEPY

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (beletseri) | 9 comments I just went to a book signing for this book at mysterious galaxy in redondo beach. I haven't read It yet, but she talked about how her writing voice just sounds like the Kushiel series. She apparently spent years trying to develop a more modern/commercial voice before giving up and writing the Kushiel series. She said with this series it was actually enjoyable for her to use more modern voice.

Omg apparently there is tons of pop culture in it too cause she just wanted to throw it all in there. She read a passage from the next book in the series that called a certain hobgoblin a "beiber-goblin" cause of his hair. Awesome!

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments I'm really wondering if Carey wrote this with a good bit of tongue in cheek-- the main character has both werewolf AND 'vampire' (of a sort) love interests? Anita Blake/Twilight anyone? Either way, I'm going to be on team 'magic negro'.
The main character is pretty soft so far, but I'm hoping that, like in the Kushiel series, she brings in a lot of character development and hopefully some hot sex. It's a good start, but I have high expectations of later books.

message 18: by Caylie (new)

Caylie (csadin) | 28 comments Felicia wrote: "Caylie wrote: "Felicia wrote: "I really liked this book, although reading SO much in this genre I expected something a little bit deeper from Carey just because of how awesome she is, but by the en..."

I definitely like Officer Undercover, but mostly as a friend. I am super interested in Ghoul man!! And I want to get to know fake Jamaica guy! They both interest me more than the original LI.

Yeah, the tail was a little much. I mean I thought it was an interesting twist, but just a little too much emphasis on it I think. It was a nice touch that flawed her a little more, but like enough already about it twitching!

Hah, I did think that it was funny that she specifically mentioned that she doesn't wear underwear and then there was no sexy time!! Boo... I hope maybe there's some sexy time in the next book!

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha (BlackRose2582) | 14 comments I read Dark Currents, while I was expecting a bit more from Jacqueline Carey I did enjoy the book. I will read the next in the series (if there is one). The author stands out so much from her work on the Kushial books, but this book was just another good urban fantasy novel, nother spectacular about it.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Van Parys (MandalaaXO) It always seemed to me that Carey's contemporary books are a lot more fluffy. When I read Santa Olivia, I was expecting the luxurious prose that I was spoiled with with Kushiel's Legacy. Still, her ability to change writing styles to suit her story is amazing. She is an amazing author.

message 21: by NJ (new)

NJ (Chemrebel) | 12 comments I really liked this book. I missed the sex a little bit but you know, I'm one that enjoys the tension just as much, and it sufficed quite nicely. (SPOILER AHEAD) The scene that struck me the most was at the vampire manor with Daisy and Lady Eris. It reminded me of Phedre and Melisande meeting for the first time.

I know it's easy to expect sexy times from JC in her books, and she does it extremely well, but for me it was actually quite refreshing to have the unresolved tension and have intimacy-without-coitus this time out. I think the story was better served in this case. We'll get sexy times from this series soon enough.