Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Promoting the old edition!!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherif (new)

Sherif Arafa (goodreadscomdrsherifarafa) | 8 comments Hi,

I have a problem with you guys.
The website is promoting the old edition which is illegal to be sold anymore because I'm with another publisher. Can you please delete the old Covers?

and please don't tell me that when comments and ratings get more than the old edition, the new one will show as a default automatically, because When people search the title the old cover shows, and they don't comment on the edition but on the book in general, so it's impossible for the new editions to show as a default picture this way!

Can you help me delete the old covers, please?

message 2: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool Is the ISBN the same?

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Deleting the covers of the popular edition won't stop them appearing as the default edition in searches. As you pointed out, when the new edition gets more shelvings than the old one the new one will become the default.

Goodreads doesn't exactly "promote" particular editions of books. It is a library site for readers.

message 4: by Gene (last edited Sep 16, 2012 04:13AM) (new)

Gene Ruyle (plainsmann) | 11 comments Banjomike wrote: "Deleting the covers of the popular edition won't stop them appearing as the default edition in searches. As you pointed out, when the new edition gets more shelvings than the old one the new one w..."

Thanks so much, Banjomike, for pointing this out! Little by little we grow to see things more clearly for what they are. And in these change-filled times, authors -- who are disinclined to trouble themselves with the subtleties of copyright law anyway -- are especially prone to be duped by big-player publishers (like Amazon) ... which is far from "author friendly," and, when it comes to ALL competition, ANTI-booksellers and ANTI-independent bookstores. It will be the readers who eventually win (or lose) the day . . . through organizations like GoodReads, LibraryThing, and the other options growing out there. Become informed -- especially those of you who think self-published ebooks are the answer and "easy way." Trade publishing isn't dead (if it were, why would Amazon be trying so hard to get into it? That's what their "exclusivity contracts" and control are all about!). Anyway, thanks for being a voice of reason in your postings! -G.R.