Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Non-superhero GNs/Comic Books > Scarlet by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Does anyone know if they're going to put out any more issues? They collected the first few and it's been dead air ever since. Losing hope...

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) I've been wondering about this too. I loved the first book and have been waiting for news of Book 2 or even issue #6 for a while. All I know is it's ongoing and hasn't been cancelled. I guess Bendis/Maleev's work on Moon Knight and Bendis' numerous other projects are holding up future issues.

message 3: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) I can't find anything new on it, but I AM hoping they're both just really busy and will get back around to it eventually. It's a gorgeous comic and I love seeing Portland represented.

message 4: by Seth (new)

Seth T. (sethhahne) | 63 comments Wow, I didn't know this. I just read the first volume myself and while I'm torn on whether it will be good or not, I'd like the opportunity to find out. Bendis seems to let his creator-owned stuff languish a bit. Powers publishing schedule is pretty much non-existent as well, with a volume only coming out every couple years or so.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) I think the wait is a perfect opportunity to try some other amazing comics out there - have you read "Chew" by Rob Guillory and John Layman, or "Northlanders" by Brian Wood? Both are awesome series with 5 books out already so if you like the first book you won't be stuck like with "Scarlet".

message 6: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Sam wrote: "I think the wait is a perfect opportunity to try some other amazing comics out there - have you read "Chew" by Rob Guillory and John Layman, or "Northlanders" by Brian Wood? Both are awesome series..."

Hmm, I've heard good things about Chew and Brian Wood in general. Will have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 7: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) SCARLET'S COMING BACK NEXT WEEK!!!

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) Alriiiight the Revolution continues!

message 9: by Anna (Bananas) (last edited Nov 08, 2012 01:19AM) (new)

Anna (Bananas) F@%$ing finally

Is that barmy, brilliant British Sam?

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) Aye!

message 11: by Anna (Bananas) (last edited Nov 08, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

Anna (Bananas) :)

...still need to get Chew and Northlanders

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam | 130 comments Does anyone know what happened to Powers? Pretty sure Bendis never finished the series, just got distracted by better-paying gigs...

message 13: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Don't know, Adam. Bendis had an interview in Comic Heroes mag and all he talked about was X-men and Avengers. No mention of Scarlet at all though and now she's coming back, so maybe there's hope for Powers too...

message 14: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments Scarlet was very good (I read the trade). Have been looking for it. Thanks for the info!

And CHEW is awesome. Very interesting, hilarious, and totally gross ;) Highly recommended!

message 15: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) I'm ridiculously excited that I get to buy the next issue tomorrow!!

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) I haven't gone to the comic book shop yet but on the Marvel website it's got #7 down for release today and #6 for release next month - wtf?!

message 17: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Um, confusing. I hope it actually does come out today. I will know by 6:30pm central! It's so far away...

message 18: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Also I don't like that it's Marvel rather than Image now.

message 19: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Does anyone know Alex Maleev's artistic process? His art is so realistic, he must be working from photographs.

I feel like I could walk straight into this picture into downtown Portland, OR.

Scarlet

scarlet

message 20: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments I've been told that many comic artists with this kind of realistic feel are working from photos pulled into photoshop and changed into art. I'm sure it's not totally easy. But I've done this myself to many of my nature photos...

Not to demean the artist's work (and not knowing for sure the artist's process).

message 21: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Meran, I could definitely see that. It reminds me of that technique they used in the movies Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly. Rotoscoping?

By the way, the new issues did not come out this week and isn't confirmed for next week. *Sigh*
Should have suspected. The wait continues.

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) I thought it was just because I live in England that my local comic shop didn't have it - seems Marvel announced a comic's release prematurely.

message 23: by Paul (last edited Nov 22, 2012 11:49AM) (new)

Paul | 286 comments OK, so based on this thread and the look of the posted artwork, I just ordered this from Amazon... it better be good, otherwise you guys are in a heep of trouble
:-)

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) Good choice Paul, the series kicks hella butt!

message 25: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Paul, is that a threat? Lol
I bet you'll like it. It's good stuff.

message 26: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments Scarlet was surprising! You'll enjoy it..

AnnaBananas, that's not good news :(

message 27: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Ah, it's okay. They released the next cover so there's some hope we'll see it this decade.

message 28: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments But... There's another 7 years to this decade ;)

I just searched, no new news yet.. :/

message 29: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) Meran wrote: "But... There's another 7 years to this decade ;)

I just searched, no new news yet.. :/"

Damn, you're right. And is there ever news? He's an awful tease, releasing a cover like that and then-nothing. Bastard.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) Means he hasn't forgotten it at least. Probably working on it still. Books take time, patience my pretties...

message 31: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments It's kind of weird having two topics going on at the same time about the same book.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to block this as long we group discussion goes on. :)