Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > I love the Black Dagger Brotherhood series... Looking for the next series to read... any Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments Hi all,

I'm just about done w/ the BDB series and I absolutely loved it. I'm thinking about starting Meljean Brook's Guardian series OR Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series... What's your take on this?

Thanks!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) I haven't read the Meljean Brooks books, but I just looked them up today and they look good.
I'm currently reading Kresley Cole's series, and it's really good. I highly recommend it, although I disliked the first book. I stuck it out and ended up loving 2 and 3. I'll be reading book 4 this month at some point.

And whenever anyone asks the "I liked BDB, what next" question, my token answer is always Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series. The first is Kiss of Midnight.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments I agree that Adrian's books are good to follow BDB because they are very similar.

I love Kresely Cole's series. But they are not just about vampires. Each book is about a different character. You could also try Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark hunter series. It's about vamps but with a twist of Greek Mythology.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments I'm afraid I have read Cole yet (although I've got one sitting on my bookshelf) and I don't really know much about Brooks, but I have to second the recommendations for Lara Adrian and Sherrilyn Kenyon. Adrian's Midnight Breeds are very similiar in feel to BDB, but lighter. I found them all to be quick, enjoyable reads and have really enjoyed the series so far. And there's a reason Kenyon's a genre staple, her Dark Hunter series is brilliant. And there are quite a few books in the series that should keep you busy for a while.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) I haven't gotten to Kenyon yet! I want to, but I'm drowning in my TBR...

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I haven't read Meljean Brook's series, but I've read Cole's Immmortals After Dark. I enjoyed it, and think, its a series that gets better with every installment.

As for a series that is quite similar to the BDB, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is a close contender. I've dubbed it as BDB-lite because it might not have the depth and complexity of Ward's work, but it has enough plot and hot, sexy vamps to help you out while you go on a BDB withdrawal period..LOL..

Another one that comes to mind would be Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld. This time using Greek mythology as her inspiration, you get to read about immortal warriors possessed by different kinds of demons that were released out of Pandora's mythical box. Again you have a group of hot, tortured men and the women who will capture their hearts and soothe their restless beasts...LOL..

message 7: by new_user (last edited Feb 05, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I personally didn't care for any of the above series except for the BDB, LOL. I would recommend Larissa Ione's Pleasure Unbound instead. :)

It's about demons, but I think if you enjoyed one, you might like the other. The writing's tight, the pace is smooth, and the romance is sizzling, plus her world's pretty creative (slayers, monstrous demons, incubi, etc.) and the characters are original and developed.

It's not a series to "hold you over" until the next BDB release, you know? They're very different. It's a good series that can stand on its own, and maybe it'll become another favorite. ;)

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomgenregirl) I also recommend Ione's Pleasure Unbound to BDB fans- similar in tone/story. A great read - and the second book in the series comes out Feb. 24th!

message 9: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I definitely agree with DarkHeart, Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series is an all time favorite of mine. I think I actually pictked up her book while waiting for the new release of one of Ward's BDB books. If I had to choose a favorite I'd hands down choose Kenyon but Ward is right on it's tale.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments Hey Chasidy....

I am on the 2nd book of the Dark Hunter Series by Kenyon and I have to agree with you.... This is my all time favorite right now. I'd have to say that I might like it better than some of BDB Series. I'll let you know once I've read a few more books in the Dark Hunter Series...

message 11: by Chasidy (last edited Feb 14, 2009 02:47AM) (new)

Chasidy Michelle... just wait to you get to the next book, Night Embrace is one of my favorites. Heck, all of them are favorites! But that particular story is very yummy. Trust me, the series get's better but I absolutely LOVE the first 8 and find myself reading them over and over. No wonder the covers are worn and pages are falling out.

message 12: by tadah (new)

tadah (tadaah) I read Sherrilyn Kenyon's Fantasty Lover and loved it. I have barely started Night Pleasures and I am all ready liking. It's the type of book you can't put down once you start. I have tell myself to stop reading it.

message 13: by Kat42389 (new)

Kat42389 Harrison (QueenTabby) | 4 comments The Dark Hunter Series is wonderful. i have read them all! I love Acheron he is a great character, the book about him is awesome! I read the BDB and I'm ready for the next book in April!!

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments While I love the BDB series quite alot, I have to say my favorite thus far is the Dark-Hunter series.

Kenyon is just amazing.

message 15: by Michelle (last edited Feb 17, 2009 10:25AM) (new)

Michelle | 79 comments

Hi Chasidy! You were so RIGHT! Night Embrace was so good! Talon and Sunshine are my favorite so far! I'm already on "Kiss of the Night" and I seriously can't stop reading! I'd have to say that I do like the Dark Hunter Series better than the BDB Series! What book are you on?

message 16: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments I know you didn't ask me but I am on Unleash the Night Dark-Hunter 13 Were-Hunter

And each time I read one of these I think *This one is my favorite* and then I read the next and its better!.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments Hi Tricia,

I just wrote that on a different thread! Every time I read one book then it also becomes my "Favorite" until I read the next! HEHE

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) | 88 comments I had the same problem. In every book you get to really "love" (if you will) all the DH's. Then at the end of that book you think "No, this is my favorite", just proves what a good writer SK is.

Tricia, Let me know how you like Unleash the Night.

message 19: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy Michelle, Ive read them ALL numerous times. I even have the anthologies and the mini-books/e-books. A few weeks ago I picked up Night Play to read over but then went book shopping and now I'm reading a romantic suspense (Tongue in Chic by:Christina Dodd). I'm so glad you're enjoying SK's books. =)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Now the comments about Kenyon are interesting because I read Unleash the Night the other day and..um, I have to say I didn't much care for it. But everyone seems so enthusiastic about her that I'm wondering if I've picked the wrong one to start with?

message 21: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments Moss wrote: "Now the comments about Kenyon are interesting because I read Unleash the Night the other day and..um, I have to say I didn't much care for it. But everyone seems so enthusiastic about her that I'm ..."

Is unleash the night your first book of kenyon? It's a stand alone book but there are 11 prior books to that..so I think it would be better to start from the begining to understand more of the characters backgrounds...btw unleash the night is the story of a WERE one of the beings aside from Dark hunters in kenyon's world...
I personally love kenyon's books and I was fortunate to start off from the beggining or otherwise I would also be confused..As i read on book after book, I learned to love the characters and start undestanding the twisted lives and complicated existance of these characters..

message 22: by Lori (last edited Mar 12, 2009 09:37PM) (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Moss, Kenyon's books are great but they really should be read in order. Like any series, some are better than others but as a whole, this is a terrific series. I didn't read all of the anthologies so I don't think that's as necessary as reading all of the books. Here's the correct reading order:

1. Fantasy Lover
2. "The Beginning", also in the back of Sins of the Night
3. Dragonswan
4. Night Pleasures
5. Night Embrace
6. "Phantom Lover" - Midnight Pleasures anthology
7. Dance with the Devil
8. "A Dark-Hunter Christmas", also in the back of Dance with the Devil
9. Kiss of the Night
10. Night Play
11. "Winter Born" - Stroke of Midnight anthology
12. Seize the Night
13. Sins of the Night
14. "Second Chances" (included in the upcoming Dark-Hunter Companion )
15. Unleash the Night
16. Dark Side of the Moon
17. "A Hard Day's Night-Searcher" - My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding anthology
18. "Until Death We Do Part" - Love At First Bite anthology
19. Fear the Darkness
20. The Dream-Hunter
21. Devil May Cry
22. Upon the Midnight Clear
23. Dark-Hunter Companion
24. Dream Chaser
25. Archeron
26. One Silent Night
27. "Shadow Of The Moon" - Dead After Dark anthology
28. Dream Warrior
29. Bad Moon Rising - Aug 09

message 23: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Moss wrote: "Now the comments about Kenyon are interesting because I read Unleash the Night the other day and..um, I have to say I didn't much care for it. But everyone seems so enthusiastic about her that I'm ..."

I should probably keep my comments to myself. I have read several Kenyon's books, and like you, somehow her writing did not impress me so much. Just thought I should let you know that you are not alone in that impression.

But she has a big fan base, so maybe there is something we are just missing.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments LOL, no one author can please everyone. While I love Kenyon, I'm discovering that so far I'm not much of a fan of Laurell Hamilton and I know she has a rabid fan base. Oh well. =)

message 25: by Yz the Whyz (new)

So true, Dark Heart. There are so many books and authors out there, its not difficult to find ones that we like, instead of forcing ourselves into books, just because its popular.

It's all about individual tastes as far as I'm concerned.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) It's hard on this site, though, 'cause there's so much peer pressure. But the good kind, not the bad kind. I just know everyone on here has read a ton of books, and for the most part like what I like, and I trust everyone so when I read threads where a lot of these same people are raving about certain books, it's hard not to want to like them so much that you force yourself to keep reading even when it's not really doing anything for you...

message 27: by Yz the Whyz (new)

LOL..know what you mean, Nichole. Still I'm so happy with GR, where I get to hang out with readers who, more or less, share the same kind of interests as I do.

For the most part, I take their recommendations seriously over some random reviewer I've read in some site.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments I hear you. One of my dear friends - and the one who got me hooked on PNR/UF genres - couldn't put When Darkness Comes down when she was reading it, so I picked it as one of my challenge books for the month. Needless to say, I've had no problem putting it down. LOL In fairness, it's probably a good book and I just haven't been in the mood to read it. I will finish it by Sunday though, darn it.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2009 11:36AM) (new)

DarkHeart wrote: "LOL, no one author can please everyone. While I love Kenyon, I'm discovering that so far I'm not much of a fan of Laurell Hamilton and I know she has a rabid fan base. Oh well. =)"

Heh. Do I lose major points if I admit Laurell Hamilton doesn't do much for me either? Yz, I'm going to try and read a few more Kenyon books as per Lori's suggestions (feel a bit guilty judging her on the one solitary book), but I have to admit there are other authors on my TBR shelf that are calling to me more. Still, keeping an open mind!

Lori, thank you for the list. I'm going to see if the library has Fantasy Lover so I get off on the right foot this time.

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments Moss.. I think you'll enjoy the series better if you start from the beginning. Personally, I really enjoyed the 1st few books. The characters will grow on you.

I haven't read Laurell Hamilton but I may give a few of her books a try...

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm a HUGE Hamilton fan, love Anita and her boys, but I could not get into Feehan's Carpathian series and I know she has a ton of fans.

We're lucky that there's no bashing in this group or the RRR group. Everyone is very respectful of everyone's else's opinion. Books are like ice cream, everyone has their favorites and there's enough flavors for everyone to find something they like. In case you wondered, I'm partial to Kahlua Krunch :)

message 32: by Yz the Whyz (new)

I totally understand what you mean, Lori. I hate it when readers bashed authors, sometimes taking it to the personal level and not just their works. That's the reason, I don't like hanging out at Amazon's discussion boards. Boy, there are some people there that are just so vitriolic, it's almost poisonous.

My stand when it comes to books you like or dislike is this. There are so many books to read. If you don't like one author, then feel free to try another. If another person likes what you don't like, that is there prerogative. It doesn't mean she is a bad person or anything, she just have different tastes than you are, and that difference is what makes for great conversation and variety of opinions.

Okay, enough of the ranting ...*sheepish look*

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments I agree with all of you about everyone being respectful of people's choices and likes and dislikes. I also am a HUGE fan of Kenyon and her other series under different names.

I also enjoy LKH but I do like the earlier books more than the later.

One author I can't get into that has a huge fan base is LA Banks. I read the first few in I think it was the huntress series? I just couldn't get into her writing.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments Definitely! I know that a lot of people turned against Hamilton as the Anita Blake series took more of an erotic turn (I've only read the first book in this series, but plan to finish the four I own). They've done the same with Ward. Some people have taken it all so personally as if the authors had gone out of their way to personally destroy their love of the books. I can appreciate that they might be disappointed if one of their favorite series has taken a turn that they don't like - but then surely the mentally stable thing to do is to move on to another series or author.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) DarkHeart wrote: "surely the mentally stable thing to do is to move on to another series or author. "

LOL... That would be the logical response. Turns out there are a lot of readers out there who aren't mentally stable, lol.
It is crazy how upset people have gotten over Ward's books... Wow, excuse her for starting out with a good premise and expanding it into a rich world with interesting characters and more than one storyline. Maybe the romance isn't as prominent in her series as it was at the beginning, but it's still there, and while there are plenty of PNR writers out there giving you mushy love and steamy sex scenes, there aren't as many creating whole dense universes that completely suck you in.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (Lucky47) | 5 comments Without a doubt the Dark Hunter Series is the best . Has anyone tried Brenda Joyce's "Masters of Time " series ? They are excellent reads as well. At least to me . They're about Immortals sworn to protect humans and travel back and forth through all time. Talk about Alpha Males ? They are the only ones who closely resemle the Dark Hunters. It's on her web site if anyone is interested. www.BrendaJoyce.com
Carol L.

message 37: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) | 88 comments Carol, First off I have to say I love your avi. I also am a huge Dark Hunter fan. I just found Brenda Joyce earlier today and added her to my TBR list (which is getting a little overwhelming) Thanks for recomending her.

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments Hi Carol,

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm definitely going to check out Brenda Joyce.

message 39: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Mar 02, 2009 07:23PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Have you read Christine Feehan's Carpathian Series? I love them and Ward's BDB of course, and Kenyon's Dark Hunters...those are my 3 favorite series in this genre.
Feehan's Carpathians are vampire hunters and shape shifters. The first in the series is Dark Prince and really gives you the background you need to move on to the next books. I love the characters introduced in Dark Prince and found myself NEEDING to read their stories as well.

message 40: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I haven't read any of Brenda Joyce's "Masters of Time" series but if they're as good as her "de Warenne Dynasty" series which by the way isn't PNR but still very good, then I wouldn't mind reading them.

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) | 88 comments Uniquely Moi wrote: "Have you read Christine Feehan's Carpathian Series? I love them and Ward's BDB of course, and Kenyon's Dark Hunters...those are my 3 favorite series in this genre.
Feehan's Carpathians are vampir...

I have some of Feehan's Carpathian series on my TBR list. I've seen good and bad reviews but I will give her a try and judge for myself. I love your name and pic by the way.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Wendy. I adore Edward :)

Yeah, Feehan get's mixed reviews. It's very mushy romantic sometimes, not as good as BDB, but still, I love tormented males and hers are tormented.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, I meant to ask you, Wendy, what is your picture from?

message 44: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) | 88 comments Uniquely Moi wrote: "Oh, I meant to ask you, Wendy, what is your picture from?

I have no idea. I found it on photobucket under romantic couples. I also adore Edward, and now my daughter is also hooked on him. LOL

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments I bought the 1st book in Feehan's series but for some reason I didn't like her writing. I only got through the first chapter and put the book down. Maybe I should give it another chance.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I would give it another try if I were you, but hey, she's very different from BDB and might not be 'your cup of tea.' I am assuming you're talking about Dark Prince? She also writes another series, I think they are like Shadow Game, Murder Game... etc. My daughter likes them better than the Dark series.

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 79 comments Yes it's Dark Prince. I may give it another try. I know I shouldn't judge the book based off the first chapter. =)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I remember thinking the first chapter was kind of vague at first. It's hard to read a "first in the series" because there's so much to learn.

I love that they always find their lifemate, but the last book, Dark Curse, has me a little put off. I'm waiting for Dark Slayer to see if she "fixes" the situation. I won't go into detail, not wanting to spoil it.

message 49: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Uniquely Moi,

The series with the word "Game" after each title would be Feehan's Ghostwalkers series. I actually prefer that series over the Dark series even though I've read all the Dark books except for Dark Curse which I will be reading this March.

I have a love/hate relationship with Feehan's Dark books...LOL...but somehow I still can't resist it, and will pick up the latest book just to catch up on what is happening in the Carpathian world..LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm looking forward to reading Ghostwalkers. I have a couple of the Leopard books but haven't started those yet.

I'm with you...I have to keep reading the Carpathians to find out what is happening!

But off all the series, BDB is my all time favorite. I wish Lover Avenged wasn't coming out in hard cover though. I hate paying that much for a book I'm going to ruin with drool anyway ;)

« previous 1