Dystopian and Paranormal Romance discussion

Books of the Month > BotM October 2012

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Daphne Delacroix | 487 comments Mod
All those with suggestions for the books they want to group read in October, please tell us here!

message 2: by Darryl (new)

Darryl | 4 comments Possibly Delirium by Lauren Oliver,
Variant by Robison Wells, or Hereafter by Tara Hudson. Just a few ideas...

message 3: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

I've read Delirium, that's a good idea. I think Variant is on my to-read list, and I've heard of Hereafter, so once this discussion closes, I'll add all three. To the poll. Thanks Darryl! BTW, A recommendation for a good Dystopia would be Blood Red Road by Moira Young, or at least I THINK that's the author's name. Another one is Wither by Lauren DeStefano. Also, try Enclave, it'smpart of the Razorland series.

Darryl, the books I mentioned are recommendations for YOU, because I remember you asked for some.

The last book I'd suggest, which is so far one of my favourites, is Barriers of the New World, by Barbara Rayne. She's a member in this group, and a newly published author, but I'm currently reading her book and I think it's brilliant!

message 4: by Tess (new)

Tess I don't know if you've read it or had it on here before, but maybe the iron fey series by Julie Kagawa. They're amazing! the reason I mention them is because the first of her new series following Ethan (Meghan's little brother) when he's grown up (17 i believe.)comes out in oct. or maybe obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout, Anna dressed in blood by Kendare Blake, personal demons by Lisa Desrochers? idk I recommend something creepy/scary. I've read hereafter and didn't care for it I thought it ended too suddenly. I will read the sequel eventually though.

message 5: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Hi Tes! How 'ya doing'?? I haven't talked to you in, like,ages!!! And I miss you! It's good to read your words again! XD

Yeah, I've read the Iron fey series, and I'll check, but I think I may have featured it in the very beginning...CUZ I LOVED IT SO MUCH!

And I'm really interested to hear this thing about Ethan. I didn't know she was writing more books...

Obsidian is an amazing idea! And so is Anna Dressed in Blood, I've been wanting to read it since forever.

Personal demons I'm to so sure about, but I'll read it if the group chooses that in the end.

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess Hi, Daphne! :) doing okay! you? school is blasting me with work :/ I've missed talking to you and everyone else on here :)

They're very good! one of my favorite series! Yeah it comes out on the 23rd next month. I'll definitely be buying it.

Yeah I wasn't sure about including personal demons so you don't have to add it!

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 2 comments OHH, I want to read Blood Red Road Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young
and Obsidian is amazing I LOVE THAT BOOK!
Delirium is great too. I also own that.
I haven't read Wither yet. Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri Bynum (terrib2018) I've seen some great reviews of "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", also "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater is said to be fantastic.
Last suggestion,lol, I'm new here so this may have been done, but what about Rachel Vincent's "Soul Screamers" series, or any of her books for that matter?
~ Thanks!

message 9: by Darryl (new)

Darryl | 4 comments Thanks for the recommendations Daphne! I will definitely give them a look.

message 10: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Tess wrote: "Hi, Daphne! :) doing okay! you? school is blasting me with work :/ I've missed talking to you and everyone else on here :)

They're very good! one of my favorite series! Yeah it comes out on the 2..."

Same here, there's just soooo much work! And today's my mom's birthday so I can't prepare for my tests next week. NEXT WEEK! It'll be a month of shop, on the 27th and we already have tests!

If it came out this month, I'd order it with my Amazon gift card, but since it won't, I guess I'll have to get it some other time.

message 11: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Erica wrote: "OHH, I want to read Blood Red Road Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young
and Obsidian is amazing I LOVE THAT BOOK!
Delirium is great too. I also own that.
I haven't read Wither yet. [bookcover:Wither..."

Well, you should! The writing style is raw, so everything the author says really hits home.

message 12: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:35AM) (new)

Terri wrote: "I've seen some great reviews of "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", also "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater is said to be fantastic.
Last suggestion,lol, I'm new here so this may have been done, but wha..."

I'm not keen on Rachel Vincent, actually, but it's all up to the group! My fave suggestion from you is actually Raven Boys. I've been wanting to read that awhile. And, for the first time, I tried to refrain from excessive exclamation marks! YES!

message 13: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Darryl wrote: "Thanks for the recommendations Daphne! I will definitely give them a look."

No prob, Darryl! I hope they help!

message 14: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:39AM) (new)

OCTOBER BOTM NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
However, discussion place is open so that members can continue their conversation.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri Bynum (terrib2018) Daphne wrote: "Terri wrote: "I've seen some great reviews of "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", also "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater is said to be fantastic.
Last suggestion,lol, I'm new here so this may have been..."

Daphne wrote: "Terri wrote: "I've seen some great reviews of "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", also "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater is said to be fantastic.
Last suggestion,lol, I'm new here so this may have been..."

Well yay! All good choices - I recommend you all listen to "Blood Red Road" actually, rather than or in addition to reading it. I did on Audible.com & I promise you it enhances the story BIG-TIME. The narrator is amazing - she does the dialect(s) exactly how I would expect them to sound. :)

message 16: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Terri wrote: "Daphne wrote: "Terri wrote: "I've seen some great reviews of "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", also "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater is said to be fantastic.
Last suggestion,lol, I'm new here so thi..."

Well, I've read BRR, and I have NEVER listened to an audiobook, but I'll check it out!

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri Bynum (terrib2018) Daphne wrote: "Terri wrote: "Daphne wrote: "Terri wrote: "I've seen some great reviews of "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", also "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater is said to be fantastic.
Last suggestion,lol, I'm n..."

One last thing about audiobooks-if you can download & listen in your car, it makes time pass by SO quickly; also, I listen on my laptop while I'm doing housework & it's much more bearable!! I pretty much make it a point to be reading (at the very least) one book & listening to one book at all times. :) The narrators for Lauren Oliver's & Veronica Roth's books also rock...

message 18: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Well, it seems interesiting, it's just that I enjoy reading so much, I don't think I would like audiobooks. They just aren't my type

message 19: by Sheri (last edited Sep 26, 2012 07:52PM) (new)

Sheri Fredricks (goodreadscomsheri_fredricks) | 1 comments I know the nominations are closed, but I finished a book I thought was pretty good. Demon Mine Demon Mine Demon Mine (Karmic Lust, #1) by Nikki Prince

message 20: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

It sounds...demonic ;D

Mmmm, I wish the girl in the cover were prettier, the guy less...Conan the Barbarian. But I'm not going to judge a book by its cover! I am going to wait for it to become famous, and then read it! LOL, I just can't read oops that aren't at least slightly known.