SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
Group Reads Discussions 2012 > "Frankenstein" Final Thoughts *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim How did you find it? Was this your first time? Do you think it holds up after 200 years?

Coralie | 75 comments This was a reread for me. What struck me this time was that although Frankenstein set out to create something beautiful, when the creation opened his eyes he became(?) hideous based on his eye colour. Based purely on his looks, Frankenstein later immediately became completely convinced that he was the murderer!

message 3: by Stacie (last edited Sep 26, 2012 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacie (amberfire430) | 1 comments *Warning will contain spoilers*

I had already read the book when I was a senior in high school and in a class in a special English class that was about Sci Fi in Literature, but I love the beginning of this book when Shelly had Frankenstein in a fervor creating the Creature with body parts of the dead and bring him to life, but then later on I got bored with his incessant whining of how he should have not created the Creature and then refused to take responsibility for his actions after he had reanimated the Creature. To me its like abandoning a child after raising and nurturing he/she and then saying I wish I had never have had you in the first place and then said child decides to go on a murdering spree throughout Europe just to get attention from the neglectful parent. Frankenstein need to man up which he did and then died in the end after he told his story to the captain of the boat while he was looking for the Creature all over the world and then just disappears
-_-

Yes, some of the issues brought up in the book still exist today like Man vs. Man, Man Vs. Creator, Man vs. Tech all these things still pertain to our society still in one way or another today. Just in a different form like human stem cells, cloning how we interact with our children and how we perceive our relationship science and religion.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim That's how I felt too. I really didn't like Frankenstein (the character or the book). I was really disappointed after hearing how good it was for such a long time.

message 5: by Esther (last edited Sep 30, 2012 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 366 comments I see Frankenstein as an extreme analogy for bad parenting.
Dr F creates this being but then realising what he has done abandons his creation without any thought for the creatures's welfare or well being and then he is surprised when things go wrong.
On the other hand the 'monster' has a choice like any abused child to overcome and make a better world for himself or to enter the world of hatred and revenge.
Unfortunately the monster chooses the latter path.
As in real life it is others, innocents, who pay for these mistakes.