Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Thinking about the new Kindles

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Sep 15, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Anyone considering one of these?
New Kindle Fire models, new paperwhite Kindle models - those are very tempting! I think I am perfectly happy with my current Kindle Fire; it does what I need it to.
The paperwhite Kindles though, with the new built in light, now those are tempting. I think if there was only one model I would have already ordered one.
I am excited by this feature too, "Time to Read is a new feature for Kindle Paperwhite that helps you know how long it will take to finish a chapter or book."

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1388 comments I'm not really interested in those new models. I would upgrade to the Kindle Keyboard because it has an actual keyboard instead of the digital keyboard that I have which I find time-consuming to use.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments Ann wrote: "Anyone considering one of these?
New Kindle Fire models, new paperwhite Kindle models - those are very tempting! I think I am perfectly happy with my current Kindle Fire; it does what I need it to..."

i'm sticking with my kindle touch - i love it and the light built into the cover works for me.
i am excited about the new iphone 5 that i just ordered though!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments My Kindle Fire is just fine for me! It does all I need it to do, so can't see spending more $$ on one of these other models. I'm not a "techno-geek" anyway. My cell phone is just a plain old cell phone, though I do think I can take pictures with it (I've never tried!). All I want to do with it is make a telephone call if I need to. I even had Verizon turn off texting. I hate that! Everyone running around glued to their phone and constantly pushing buttons! Sooner or later I'm sure I'll end up with an iPhone as they are giving them to all "essential" people at work and they consider payroll "essential" (wonder why?? LOL). As long as they're paying for the phone & the service, I'm good with it. I'm just not going to pay for it!

message 5: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Ann:

I have my 2nd generation Kindle, plus my Kindle Fire. Love them both, and have no desire to venture into the realm of these new Kindles. I would however, like an I Pad. :)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I ordered the new Kindle, the wireless 3G without special orders. I'm
looking forward to getting it.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Melodie: hmm, yes most companies consider payroll essential! I predict you will love the iPhone. I held our for a regular phone too for a good while but am now a convert. I am not going for the iPhone5 though. My 4s is just fine.
Sherry: the touch screen is the other reason I am tempted by the new paper white. My K2 is fine.... But I wish it would connect to the Cloud for book downloads from the library.
Liz: I must admit that the $499 for the HD Kindle is probably a good deal but why not go ahead and do an iPad.
Amy: do let us know when you get your new Kindle, it will be the paPerwhite, right?
Sherry wrote: "I'm sticking with my Kindke touch ..."
LizH wrote: "I have my 2nd generation Kindle, plus my Kindle Fire. Love them both, and have no desire to venture into the realm of these new Kindles. I would however, like an I Pad. :)"
Amy wrote: "I ordered the new Kindle, the wireless 3G without special orders. I'm looking forward to getting it."

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Shomeret: Not having used the on screen keyboard on a regular Kindle (the one on the Fire is ok) I can't scientifically compare, but the K2 keyboard isn't that finger friendly. Perhaps the new ones are better.
Shomeret wrote: "I'm not really interested in those new models. I would upgrade to the Kindle Keyboard because it has an actual keyboard instead of the digital keyboard that I have which I find time-consuming to use."

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie: hmm, yes most companies consider payroll essential! I predict you will love the iPhone. I held our for a regular phone too for a good while but am now a convert. I am not going for the iPh..."

Ann, yes it is the paperwhite

message 10: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Ann:: Can't justify the price of the i-pad right now with 2 kids in college. It's a dream for me, and my fire is really good, and i do have a i-phone. We are having a competition at work to win one, so I am working hard at that as well, but I am one of those people who never win anything :(

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Maybe this is your time to win, Liz! Good luck! Hope the extra effort pays off!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I don't know if you all know, there is an update for the kindle 3. I had
to call kindle cs for help downloading it.

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments you guys are too high tech for me! no Kindle fire, no paperwhite, no iPad, no iPhone. how do i even get dressed in the morning, LOL?

but seriously, like others, my Kindle 2 (or is it 3?) works for me, I still don't use it very much. Like LizH said I would love an iPad but unless I get beaucoup gift certificates for Christmas not going to happen any time soon. Mel, if my work offered me an iPhone I would take it in a heartbeat. They did give some of us an iTouch when they got extras for a big Mac order, but I'm too cheap to buy a data plan for it so I use my at home and work wireless and piggy back on wherever else it's free. The screen is too small for me to enjoy doing any kind of internet work on it, I can wait until I get to a laptop or desktop.

message 14: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann wrote: "Anyone considering one of these?
New Kindle Fire models, new paperwhite Kindle models - those are very tempting! I think I am perfectly happy with my current Kindle Fire; it does what I need it to..."

Ann, I'm still using my K 1. I'm way behind the times.

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1388 comments Re Kindle 1--I'm using it too, Lorraine.

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3634 comments Here is a good laugh I had or maybe it was a almost cry. a few weeks ago I finally told my sister & bil I lost the amazon gift certificate or maybe misplaces that my nephew gave me for christmas I thought it was $60. anyway, they said at the time I better find it. this past weekend I was going though my saved emails looking for a website of this guy at the shore that takes these great pictures what do a find and screamed and showed both of them. the $50 gift certificate I got from my nephew (from amazon) that I misplaced. I though it was a card that was in with my other gift cards it turned out it was emailed to me around the holidays because he hadn't come home. now that I found the gift certificate I can't remember what I wanted when I was looking for it in the first place. now I have to use it before I forget that I have it. also my sister said can't you print it out. well I still have't set up my printer that I got when I got my mac. so really I have no printer connected that I can use for the mac don't really want to use the one I have that is the big one so keep putting off setting up the so called new one. so need to push myself to do it so I can finally print out all that stuff that is piling up on the laptop to printed. my bil keeps telling me that when I do set it up the ink will be dried. the problem is the big one is heavy and when I disconnect it then I have to get rid of it or do what I'm going to do with it.

message 17: by Ann (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Glad you found the gift certificate DJ! With Amazon, I don't think you would need to print it?

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3634 comments I was thinking maybe I should at least write down the number that way I have it just in case the email gets accidently deleted.

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Donnajo wrote: "I was thinking maybe I should at least write down the number that way I have it just in case the email gets accidentally deleted."

I always move my gift certificates and the like into a mail folder called "receipts." That way I know where to go if I'm looking for something. Of course that wouldn't have helped with remembering whether something came by snail mail or email.... I've done that too, and what a relief it is when you stumble across the thing. A re-gift! ;-)

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hello folks. I finally popped in to see what I missed in Cleveland and saw this Kindle question. I dropped my K3 on the patio one too many times and the case cracked open. Oh darn. Had to order the new Paperwhite. I LOVE IT! It retains everything I love about the k3 but has the light and the touchscreen at half the price!

I'm not a fan of the 2min left in chapter feature. Creeps me out that the book how how fast I read...it's none of the books business, frankly. It's shorter and a tad heavier than the k3 and the touchscreen is an adjustment. I keep forgetting and turning pages by accident. But l'll get used to it. I've been touching the non-touch k3 screen for months. Feel stupid, every time, when i realize why nothing is working. They haven't tried to reinvent it and change everything just for shigiggles. It still works the same and looks the same but its wearing a nicer outfit with new shoes and a matching bag, of course. And the changed the screen-savers!!!!! No more scary Emily Dickinson pic.

What I love about the k3 & the Paperwhite...it doesn't try to be anything other than a reader. It's low tech, easy to use, holds a charge forever, and I don't get distracted by the Internet or solitaire or email or anything. I just read. After spending 10-12 hrs a day on the computer and the phone I just want to read. Single-tasking is a lost art.

If you are tempted, treat yourself to the No Offers option. Would be a crime for this wonderful experience to be ruined by advertising. I would have paid more for that pleasure (no need to tell Uncle Jeff about that!! ). Don't forget that extended warranty; it saved me!

So be careful with those older gens, ladies (and Arnie, and Barry). DON'T DROP YOUR READER ON THE PATIO 4 times unless you'd really like a new Paperwhite. The first 3 drops were purely accidental btw. Really.

Look for me on FB; I'm on a little book group there. It's small and pretty much books only. not much personal chat but its a nice group.

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Glad to see you here and to know that you love the new paperwhite MQC! It is a nice little FB book group!
I feel so greedy wanting a new Kindle paperwhite when my K2 still performs as it always did without telling anyone how fast I read without the wireless turned on. And my Fire is fine with that different kind of backlit screen, so the soothing light of the paperwhite that would be so nice would also make me feel a bit bad.
I tend to read so much on my iPhone, both are secondary readers to me now. Talk about a tiny backlit screen that is hard on the eyes after a while!

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Hello folks. I finally popped in to see what I missed in Cleveland and saw this Kindle question. I dropped my K3 on the patio one too many times and the case cracked open. Oh darn. Had to order the new Paperwhite. I LOVE IT!"

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments Ann wrote: "Glad to see you here and to know that you love the new paperwhite MQC! It is a nice little FB book group!
I feel so greedy wanting a new Kindle paperwhite when my K2 still performs as it always di..."

i wasn't going to succumb, but i did. ordered one and it will be here in november, then i'll sell my touch (with 3G) on ebay.

message 23: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1388 comments There's a new Nook that has e-ink for the day and soft light for night. It's called the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. Consumer Reports reviewed it very favorably.

From my perspective, an e-reader that does both would be better for me to take on my trips to New York. I'm often taking night flights and I'm immensely frustrated because the lights go out at the beginning of the flight and I'm not tired yet. I'd rather read until I'm ready to sleep. If I had the new Nook, I could do that and still have e-ink for during the day while I'm in New York and on the day flight for my return to California. I'm thinking about that Nook.

message 24: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3634 comments Shom, I love my nook tablet. and you can get so many free books plus don't forget the epubs too if you get on different boards you can find almost anything. I love my tablet but that isn't good to read outside which doesn't bother me too much since I still read regular books too. My advise go to a BN and deal with a nook person there. Do it face to face if you can. Try one out. The simple touch is fine if you don't need that other stuff.
Let me know if you end up getting it.

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Oct 28, 2012 06:11AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Shomeret wrote: "From my perspective, an e-reader that does both would be better for me to take on my trips to New York. I'm often taking night flights and I'm immensely frustrated because the lights go out at the beginning of the flight and I'm not tired yet. I'd rather read until I'm ready to sleep. If I had the new Nook, I could do that and still have e-ink for during the day while I'm in New York and on the day flight for my return to California. I'm thinking about that Nook. ..."

I'm still making do with my Kindle. I bought a cover with an attached light and it serves me well in any instance where I need light. I still don't use my e-reader as much as I thought I would. In fact I have one sitting here unused that was my Dad's, an early version. Maybe I'll follow Sherry's lead and try to sell it on eBay.

I admit to being intrigued by the Apple mini-Mac that's being talked about, as a Mac person. I haven't really looked into it, though.

message 26: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments I have my Fire which I don't use much at all. I don't like reading books on it, but need to get used to it since I have so many downloaded onto it! I DO like reading magazines on it, especially EW. Don't know why I find it so convenient for magazines, but not books.

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments I love reading magazines on my Fire too, Melodie!
I do also like reading books on it, but not quite as much as an eInk screen, and not as convenient as the Kindle app on my phone. The Fire is heavier than my K2 so the K2 is my 'take with me' Kindle, and that affects the reading time on the Fire as well.

Melodie wrote: "I have my Fire which I don't use much at all. I don't like reading books on it, but need to get used to it since I have so many downloaded onto it! I DO like reading magazines on it, especially E..."

message 28: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Ann wrote: "I love reading magazines on my Fire too, Melodie!
I do also like reading books on it, but not quite as much as an eInk screen, and not as convenient as the Kindle app on my phone. The Fire is heav..."

I just don't like electronic books!! I have to get used to them as sooner or later most books will only be available that way, but I'm fighting it tooth & nail.

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments And on the other spectrum, I prefer to read most books non-paper print, electronically or especially since a huge chunk of my books are already audio, by listening!
Melodie wrote: "I just don't like electronic books!! I have to get used to them as sooner or later most books will only be available that way, but I'm fighting it tooth & nail. "

message 30: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Ann wrote: "I do also like reading books on it, but not quite as much as an eInk screen, and not as convenient as the Kindle app on my phone. .."

I don't know how you do it, Ann. I keep trying to read with the Kindle app on my phone, but the screen is just too small. I get through a few pages worth and I'm ready to stop. It is more convenient, though.

message 32: by Melodie (last edited Oct 29, 2012 12:26PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Barry wrote: "Kindle horror story:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/a..."

Not a very nice tale regarding our "pals" at Amazon!

message 33: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Barry wrote: "Kindle horror story:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/a..."

Yikes, that would tic me off. So unnecessary.