Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Robert Dennis Wilson
This topic is about Robert Dennis Wilson
Christian fiction & nonfiction > 3 FREE Christian Fantasy & Sci-Fi Novels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson (RobertDennisWilson) | 9 comments All 3 of my Speculative Christian Novels will be Free sometime during the next week or so! ENJOY!!!

THE POISON OF THORNS The Dragon's Back #1  by Robert Dennis Wilson
"THE POISON OF THORNS: The Dragon's Back #1"
FREE: Saturday, 9/15 - Wednesday, 9/19/2012
ASIN: B004BA54TC
Genre: Fantasy/Spiritual Warfare
Amazon Rating: 4.4/5

THE PLAYERS Earth - The Arena #1 by Robert Dennis Wilson
"THE PLAYERS: Earth - The Arena #1"
FREE: Wednesday, 9/19 - Sunday, 9/23/2012
ASIN: B006HGY782
Genre: Science Fiction/Spiritual Warfare
Amazon Rating: 4.3/5

MY BROTHER'S KEEPER The Dragon's Back #2 by Robert Dennis Wilson
"MY BROTHER'S KEEPER: The Dragon's Back #2"
FREE: Saturday, 9/22 - Monday, 9/24/2012
First Time FREE!
ASIN: B006GKLYB2
Genre: Fantasy/Spiritual Warfare
Amazon Rating: 5/5

message 2: by Cherese (new)

Cherese A. Vines (cheresevines) | 10 comments Thanks, Robert! I'll take a look. Take care, Cherese

message 3: by Raphyel (new)

Raphyel Jordan (raphyelmjordan) | 6 comments Nice. Looking forward to reading these ^_^

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson (RobertDennisWilson) | 9 comments Thanks, everyone! ENJOY!!!

God bless!
Bob (RD Wilson)

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 32 comments Cool. Thanks, Robert. I'm off to get them.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson (RobertDennisWilson) | 9 comments Thanks, Christopher, but watch the dates from above - they're not all free at the same time!

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 113 comments The title of this thread always sounds like a pleonasm, but I can see why you phrased it like that.

I don't want to re-open the whole sci-fi genre debate again, but I really wish I could tie my books down into a specific sub genre. My question is, before writing each of the above books, did you set out to write a book of a specific genre or did your chosen descriptive genre just happen to fit what you wrote? I seem to heavily overlap hard-sci-fi, space opera and a few others (even murder mystery to some degree) so I can never really specify a single genre that my books fall into. When I design my storylines I never have a genre in mind, and I wonder if that's my problem?

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 32 comments Robert wrote: "Thanks, Christopher, but watch the dates from above - they're not all free at the same time!"

Yeah, I just noticed that. I did get The Players: Earth-Arena #1, so that's cool. Thanks.

The sub-genre thing is tough, particularly from a marketing perspective, of course. I never really think much about it when I write, but I probably should...

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson (RobertDennisWilson) | 9 comments Paul,

Yes, I did have my genres in mind while I was writing, but then there a lot of crossover subgenres involved as well.

Concerning your question about focus, I think my genre choices were more of guidelines instead of directives, especially when it came to the preliminary world-building tasks.

As a writer who wants to make bringing glory to God the focus of my life, I think what shaped, controlled, and even motivated my writing was never genre, but a well-defined sense of a specific PURPOSE behind what I was writing. With each novel I write there is a particular message that I want to convey to my readers, so that message becomes my focus. It also becomes the silent judge of the content that I create or allow to remain. I ask myself if this scene is worded in this way is promoting or detracting from that purpose.

I hope that helps you with your writing. A sense of genre is the windshield of your vehicle (it permits you to see the road you will travel); Purpose is your GPS, showing you where to turn; You of course are the driver - and you can always decide to go off-roading!

Bob

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson (RobertDennisWilson) | 9 comments Christopher,

If you pick up a free copy of Dragonsback 2 tomorrow, you really need to get & read the first book in the Trilogy, before you delve into that. The fantasy world that I've created is much too complicated to just fall into mid story.

Bob

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 32 comments Sounds good. Thanks, Robert.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson (RobertDennisWilson) | 9 comments Thank you for your interest!
Beyond giving away thousands of novels, to me it is more fulfilling to get to chat with some of my readers!!!

:-D

FYI: I probably won't be online during daytime hours on most days, when I am supposed to be programming!

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin Unfortunately I missed the giveaway. Looks like an interesting read, and I enjoyed hearing your view of the use of genre. I noticed you have Ciruelo Cabral's "Black Dragon," on the cover of your first book, "The Poison of Thorns." It is on of my favorites; how awesome that you were able to get permission to use it! I hope your promotion went well, and I wish you luck!