What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wild Birdwatchers I Have Known
This topic is about Wild Birdwatchers I Have Known
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > Watching birdwatchers [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofie (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:34PM) (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments I haven't read this book, so I don't know that much about it. It was a yellow paperback, with a black line drawing on the front of a person with binoculars(?). I would guess it was published between the 40s-60s.
From what I could tell, it was like a guide of birdwatchers. It had descriptions of their appearance and behavior. And it might have been a sort of birdwatching memoir, only with a focus on the watchers, not the birds.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Was it possibly humor, as in a somewhat brief parody of field guides, or do you think it was longer and had serious bits, too?

My mom is a birder and a librarian so if you can come up with any more impressions or guesses I'll ask her.

message 3: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments It was most probably humor.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Sofie, are you still looking for this book?

message 5: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments Yes, I'd still like to find it.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Sofie--if you bump this thread up every 30 to 60 days so that it stays close to the top of the queue you'll have a better chance of getting it solved.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33320 comments Mod
This is a long shot, but I'll mention it just in case. The Indoor Bird Watcher's Manual by Helen Ferril and Anne Folsom? There's an image on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Indoor-Bird...

message 8: by Kris (new)

This book matches your theme, but was published in 1977.
Wild Birdwatcher's I have Known by Gerry Bennett? Wild Birdwatcher's I have Known by Gerry Bennett

message 9: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments That doesn't fit my memory exactly, but I don't actually remember it well enough to ever know for sure. I think it must be it. Thank you so much!

message 10: by Kris (new)

You're welcome! Funny how it's a bird on the cover looking through the binoculars. Let us know if it's not the right book and we'll "re-open the case". :)