Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Elissa > The Zoe award for the Best Child-Like Illustrations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elissa (new)

Elissa | 14 comments The Zoe award for the Best Child-Like Illustrations

message 2: by Elissa (new)

Elissa | 14 comments While we were brainstorming for awards someone mentioned about the best child-like illustrations and then I remembered that was one of my favorite parts about The Hello, Goodbye Window. I really liked how the illustrator did the pictures as if a child drew them. Child-like illustrations have a symbolism and meaning behind them. I feel a child could relate more to the pictures that look as if a child drew them. “Symbolism can enrich setting. In fact, symbolism bears on both characterization and theme as well” (Griffith, 2006, pg 94). Symbolism can have many different meanings or interpretations, but I believe there is a high correlation between symbolism and the illustrations in children’s literature.

To nominate this award, the book must be appropriate for kindergarten through sixth grade, and have awesome child-like illustrations!

Nominations are due by March 5, 2009.

Work Cited:
Griffith, K. (2006). Writing essays about literature: A guide and style sheet. Boston, MA: Thomson Wadsworth Corporation.

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Mar 03, 2009 06:27PM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate The Purple Balloon. It was written and illustrated by by Chris Raschka. He is the same person who illustrated The Hello, Goodbye Window. The illustrations truly look like a child drew them. They are very simple illustrations, in fact, they are simply balloons with faces. The balloon strings are used to create hands used for hugging. This book reminds me of that phase children go through where they will only draw one thing; however, Chris Raschka did not draw the balloons. He made a stamp out of a potato to make them. This makes the illustration even more childlike. This book is terrific. The main theme is death or grieving. This theme may seem a bit depressing for a children's book; however, this theme is sometimes necessary. The balloon people represent families, neighbors, and children all dealing with grief and death. I love this book and this illustrator.

I found one review that truly shows the amazing quality of this book, and this nomination would not be complete without adding it. "Taking his cue from terminally ill children who, an introductory note explains, often express their feelings by drawing a free-floating purple or blue balloon, Raschka depicts balloon characters using potato and wood prints rendered in watercolor. Through a few masterful strokes, they become an elderly dying person and those dear to him, or the subject of this narrative, a dying red balloon child and his family and friends. Faces, all focused on the child, express concern, tearful sorrow, and support. Balloon strings encircle child and parents in love, twist to join the youngster to those around him, and curve to become hands reaching out in comfort and reassurance. "Good help makes leaving easier," the text reads. Streaked watercolor background washes change color with the mood, moving from blue to yellow on the final page describing "what you can do to help." Raschka's brief text avoids sentimentality and didacticism and is a good choice for those who want to provide assistance to children about this difficult subject." Marianne Saccardi, formerly at Norwalk Community College, CT. This is from the School Library Journal.

The Purple Balloon by Chris Raschka

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 13, 2009 07:39PM) (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster I nominate "The Hello, Goodbye Window" by Norton Juster and Illustrated by Chris Raschka. The pictures of the story are greatly done and look just like a child drew them. The pictures look like they may have been with crayons or colored pencils. As I was reading I could imagine a child drawing the pictures of their visit with grandparents. Not only are the pictures great, the story itself is adorable and almost every child could relate.

message 5: by Brittany (last edited Feb 19, 2009 03:48PM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments I nominate "Very Scary" for the Best Child-Like Illustrations award. The author is Tony Johnston. The illustrations are by Douglas Florian. This story book is about a Halloween night, when there is a very shiny pumpkin out in the pumpkin patch. This pumpkin caught everyones eye that went by, until it went BOO when a child stuck a candle in it. The illustrations look like a child drew them, because of the way it is colored and drawn. The pictures remind me of something that would be drawn at a child's level.

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments I nominate "Geoffrey Groundhog Predicts the Weather" by Bruce Koscielniak. This is an entertaining story of a groundhog who needs a little help predicting the weather and the buzz surrounding Groundhog's Day. The illustrations are done in pen and watercolor, and because the paint didn't stay inside the lines and the lack of color in some places, it looks like a young child created the artwork. The pictures correlate well with the text and are just as entertaining.

Geoffrey Groundhog Predicts the Weather by Bruce Koscielniak

message 7: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:02PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
I nominate "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" by Mo WIllems. This book was published in 2003 by Hyperion Books for Children in New York. The book was elected a Caldecott Honor Book. This book is perfect for the Zoe award because its simplicity reveals the artwork of a child. The lack of illustrations actually make the book more involving. The reader is able to feel more connected with the pigeon. The artwork uses the same simple colors throughout the story. You would be able to see these exact representations in a child's art work. I believe that these simple child-like illustrations leave a symbolic mark on the audience. It is almost as if the one dimensional pigeon is leaping out of the page trying to convince you to let him drive the bus. I had read this book to my niece. She was so engaged with the book that she was yelling at the pigeon to leave her alone and that he will never drive the bus. She actually loved the story so much that she would draw her own pigeons on her free time. The book is engaging for any child in the K-3 grades. It is a short book, but the involvement of this pigeon is enough to fill a novel! This book is a must in the early elementary literary classroom and a perfect nominee for the Zoe award.

message 8: by Melody (last edited Mar 05, 2009 06:59PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments I nominate "The Windy Day" by G. Brian Karas. Illustrations were done by the author as well. This book is about a boy named Bernard who finds out just how wonderful and exciting the world can be. As you turn the pages of this book, you will be excited over the wonderful child-like illustration. Each page has a picture that looks as though a child did the illustrating. With such technique from the author/illustrator, its no wonder that this book should be chosen for the award!

This book has been given a grand review by The Center for Children's Books. It also won the 1997 Boston Globe-Horn Award. This reward clearly depicts the book as one of the finest written and illustrated which is why it should be chosen for the Zoe Award.
This book is for an early reader. It uses sight words which will help the young readers.
The Windy Day by G. Brian Karas

message 9: by Alecia (last edited Mar 01, 2009 09:08AM) (new)

Alecia | 13 comments I nominate A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms for the Zoe Award. This picture book poetry collaboration is jam-packed with poems selected by Paul Janeczko and illustrated by Chris Raschka. Not only are the illustrations that accompany the poetry in this book child-like, they are incredible! Each illustration symbolizes the poem that it’s drawn next to. It looks as though children were writing their own poetry and illustrating the poem themselves. The drawings are filled with tons of color and no two are alike. Many different elementary art forms are taken on in the illustrations. Torn paper-and-paint and watercolor are just two mediums used to create these terrific child-like illustrations. I also really like this book because not only are the illustrations gorgeous, the book is also a really helpful resource to have when teaching or demonstrating poetry to students. Gorgeous child-like illustrations, great poetry, and an over all great pick for the Zoe Award!

A Kick in the Head An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers) by Chris Raschka

message 10: by Bridget (last edited Mar 05, 2009 03:40PM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments I nominate The Father Who Had 10 Children by Benedicte Guettier. This is an adorable book obviously about a father who has ten children and his daily responsibilities in taking care of them. After he tucks them in every night he begins working on a secret project to make a boat so that he can sail around the world. When he finally leaves, he goes alone and leaves his children with their grandmother. He relaxes and naps on the first day, and goes to bed early. On the second day, when he begins to make himself breakfast, he realizes that something is missing. He sails back home and serves his children breakfast and they all climb into the boat to sail away together.
This book is for children ages 4 to 8, and it is a very easy read. It contains strong family values, yet it is diverse in the sense that it is a story about a single parent. The illustrations are very childlike. They seem to be a combination of black marker and paint. The great part about the child-like pictures with this book, is the context in which it is portraying. The children simply adore their father and each page seems to show a little piece of each child. This is definitely a heartwarming pick for this award. The Father Who Had 10 Children by Benedicte Guettier

message 11: by Brianna (last edited Feb 27, 2009 09:51PM) (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate "Spider's First Day of School" by Robert Kraus for the most childlike illustrations award. This book chronicles the main character, Spider, on his first day of school. All the children and even the teacher are bugs. The illustrations are drawn so that you can tell what every character is, but they are simple and seem very kid friendly. The emotions of the characters are depicted in simple ways such as a teardrop on a cheek or a big grin. The illustrations are fabulous but they look like something anyone of us could do if we had thought to try. I believe this book would be great with kids in grades K-3 because they are young enough to remember how it feels on the first day of school. Most of the text is simple also and could be great to use with beginning readers.

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments I nominate countdown to spring an animal counting book by Janet Schulman. This book has awesome childlike illustrations. The illustrations are very child like. It looks like the author used water colors to make them. The book uses cute illustrations that children would understand. For instance, flowers, bunnies, and butterflies. This book should be chosen for the best-child like illustrations.

message 13: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments mammalabilia by Douglas Florian by Douglas Florian. A compilation of poems and paintings by Florian, but done sloppily in water colors, and it looks like children made the illustrations. Florian shows the animals like a child would see them: a Rhebok wearing Reeboks, lemurs crazily dancing the page, hippo's eating a salad (fork and knife included), and he makes it so children can relate and have fun with this picture book.

message 14: by Elissa (new)

Elissa | 14 comments March 26, 2009

Mo Willems
C/O Hyperion Books for Children
114 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10011-5690

Dear Mo Willems,

Congratulations, your Caldecott Honor Award winning book, Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, won an award I created! Your book is perfect for my award titled, “The Zoe Award for the Best Child-Like Illustrations.”

I am an Elementary Education student at Pennsylvania State University, Altoona Campus. In one of our classes, for the Arts and Literacy Block, we had to create an award for a children’s literature book, to be nominated by another elementary education student. In order to nominate my award, the children’s book had to be appropriate for kindergarten through sixth grade and have awesome child-like illustrations!

Child-like illustrations have symbolism and meaning behind them. “Symbolism can enrich setting. In fact, symbolism bears on both characterization and theme as well” (Griffith, 2006, pg. 94). Symbolism can have many different meanings or interpretations, but I believe there is a high correlation between symbolism and the illustrations in children’s literature.

I really enjoyed reading your book, Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Children of all cultures are able enjoy this interactive book. I really like your use of bubbles to create the dialogue, because children are actually talking back to the story, which makes it fun for them to read. The illustrations appear to be done in crayon and are simple enough that a child is able to relate to them. There is not too much happening on each page, which makes the reader stay focused; their focus is clearly on the dialogue, along with the illustrations. The pigeon symbolizes characterization, because we are able to see the emotions the pigeon expresses. The pigeon displays the theme of the story through its expressions, because it really wants to drive the bus!

Sometimes, the simplest illustrations are the best ones! Children are able to respond to child -like illustrations more so than adult-like illustrations, because they are not as intimidating.

Sincerely,

Elissa Fromknecht