Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > October book read : A book recommended by King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Sep 19, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

Angie | 2568 comments Mod
Go for it. Anything he's recommended, any genre. I would think this should be really scary since it is October!!!

One nomination per person, use the add book/author function to link to the title. No need to second, everything eligible will be in the poll. We will nominate till the 20th of Sept this time around and then the poll will be up on the 21st. That way everyone has time to get the October book!

UPDATE, here is the nominations so far:
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Ready Player One
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Interview With the Vampire
Strange Wine
Hell House
Something
Carrion Comfort
Intensity
Something
The Woman in Black
Savage
The Passage
The Girl Next Door
Breed
The Lottery
Memory Collector
American Gods
Shattered
The Other
Lord's Foul Bane
Heart Sick
The Cellar
Dracula
Summer of Night

message 2: by Kevin (last edited Sep 15, 2012 04:27PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments I would like to nominate A Prayer for Owen Meany, if we don't have to nominate something scary.

message 3: by Ren (last edited Sep 15, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Ren (iirenity) Wizard wrote: "Under the Dome

Here is mine."

I like this idea, buuut since there's no seconds....
The Tommyknockers

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Serenity wrote: "Wizard wrote: "Under the Dome

Here is mine."

The Tommyknockers"

I'm not a moderator, so I don't know if it's my place to say this, but we're actually reading The Tommyknockers this month for our King book month.

message 5: by Kevin (last edited Sep 15, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Kathryn wrote: "Serenity wrote: "Wizard wrote: "Under the Dome

Here is mine."

The Tommyknockers"

I'm not a moderator, so I don't know if it's my place to say..."

Also I think all the nominations are for book he has read, not any of his book. You should have known that when I nominate a book that was not written by him.

message 6: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Ready Player Oneby Ernest Cline Excellent, excellent book -- King REALLY sent it off with a strong recommendation.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Something Wicked This Way Comes
I keep meaning to read this in October, maybe a group read will light a fire under me.

message 8: by Banjaxed (last edited Sep 15, 2012 03:11PM) (new)

Banjaxed | 2 comments Carol wrote: "Something Wicked This Way Comes
I keep meaning to read this in October, maybe a group read will light a fire under me."

Seems the perfect time of the year to honour the late great Ray Badbury, so it gets my first ever vote!!Something Wicked This Way Comes

message 9: by Levina (new)

Levina Goon | 1 comments Bondama wrote: "Ready Player Oneby Ernest Cline Excellent, excellent book -- King REALLY sent it off with a strong recommendation."

Agree with this one! Ready Player One!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 80 comments Since we're nominating books recommended by King for October, here a list of 150 books recommended by him for those who weren't aware of it

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14...

That said, I agree we should do a spooky book since it is October , my nomination is Interview With the Vampire

Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice Anne Rice
Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (serialreader13) Strange Wine by Harlon Ellison

message 12: by Rob (new)

Rob P. | 1 comments I would love to read Hell House

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason | 21 comments "CARRION COMFORT is one of the three greatest horror novels of the 20th century. Simple as that.” —-Stephen King

I vote for this book by Dan Simmons

message 14: by Bob (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:06PM) (new)

Bob | 26 comments My vote would be for Intensity by Dean Koontz.

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Serenity wrote: "Wizard wrote: "Under the Dome

Here is mine."

The Tommyknockers"

Yes... please nominate a book recommended by King. You should be able to google it and find it very easily. Let me know if you need any help!

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Kevin wrote: "I would like to nominate A Prayer for Owen Meany, if we don't have to nominate something scary."

You don't have to nominate something scary by the way... hope I didn't make it seem like you had to!!

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2 comments Intensity by Dean Koontz

message 18: by Victor (new)

Victor Something by Dean Koontz, maybe Strangers.

message 19: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson I nominate:

Savage

"If you've missed Laymon, then you've missed a treat." --Stephen King

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Corrigan (Cyndie_1979) | 4 comments The Woman In Black

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason | 21 comments Wow. So many great books! this will be a difficult choice.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (mimig) | 2 comments The Passage...I remember when this came out, King had positive remarks about it!! :)

message 23: by Carlos (new)

Carlos (encore) I nominate The Girl Next Door ! It is totally creepy!

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia F. (goodreadscomsnflwr5501) | 14 comments I would recommend either Pet Semetary or It. Those sound like scary books.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 12 comments New book by Chase Novak Breed. King's blurb from front cover, "Breed is the best horror novel I've read since Peter Straub's Ghost Story. By turns terrifying and blackly funny. Breed is a total blast." I just finished this last week and it was a five star read for me. Would love to discuss it with the group!

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 12 comments Kim wrote: "The Passage...I remember when this came out, King had positive remarks about it!! :)"

We're reading The Passage in my TuesBookTalk group here on Goodreads. I've been wanting to read it forever so I can't wait!

message 27: by Caelin (new)

Caelin Beaty | 1 comments I second "Something Wicked This Way Comes". I keep starting it and not getting time to finish, and this would be a good excuse.

message 28: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Morris (thedadsparticus) | 2 comments Under The Dome

message 29: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrydwriter) | 6 comments I always find myself in a funny place, because I'm usually deep in one King novel when the recommendations for another come around!

Oh, what to recommend...something creepy...

How about Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories, by M.R. James? Or The Lottery (as in the whole collection, not just the eponymous story), by Shirley Jackson? Both would be more than suitable for the month of October.

message 30: by Denise (new)

Denise (denisepasutti) | 6 comments The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan (megsmith72) | 1 comments Ghost Story - Peter Straub, if you haven't read it you must! If you have read it you certainly won't mind reading it again.

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashnphx) | 22 comments I second Megan's
Ghost Story by Peter Straub.
Heard about it on a podcasts and they said it was fantastic.

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Megan wrote: "Ghost Story - Peter Straub, if you haven't read it you must! If you have read it you certainly won't mind reading it again."

Ashley wrote: "I second Megan's
Ghost Story by Peter Straub.
Heard about it on a podcasts and they said it was fantastic."

I think we already read this a few months ago.

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashnphx) | 22 comments Michelle/ wrote: "New book by Chase Novak Breed. King's blurb from front cover, "Breed is the best horror novel I've read since Peter Straub's Ghost Story. By turns terrifying and blackly funny. Breed is a total ..."

That book looks awesome. Waiting till the ebook price drops or I can find it at a used bookstore. Really want to read it but am tired of paying so much for books.

message 35: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 30 comments I nominate American Godsby Gaiman.

message 37: by Tim (last edited Sep 16, 2012 10:54AM) (new)

Tim | 80 comments Hmm my vote is still for Interview With the Vampire , but if that doesn't happen I hope either Shirley Jackson or Richard Matheson get the nod. They have some books that sound like they'd fit right in with the Halloween theme for October. Ray Bradbury wouldn't be bad either. I'd say there's an excellent chance well have a really good group read for October :)

message 38: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Owen | 104 comments I am Legend

message 39: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I nominate The Haunting of Hill House. I brought this one a while ago and I've been saving it to read on halloween.

message 40: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson Ellie wrote: "I nominate The Haunting of Hill House. I brought this one a while ago and I've been saving it to read on halloween."

OOoooO Ellie that sounds like a very good one! I may have to get that one either way.

message 41: by Victor (new)

Victor Okay, I figured out which Dean Koontz book I want to nominate. Shattered by Dean Koontz Shattered

message 42: by Andrés (new)

Andrés | 1 comments Carol wrote: "Something Wicked This Way Comes
I keep meaning to read this in October, maybe a group read will light a fire under me."

It's the perfect book for October.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) We've read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Ghost Story by Peter Straub.

message 45: by Becky (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:26PM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rob wrote: "I would love to read Hell House"

We've read this one as well. Edit: Sorry, mixed up my groups! LOL. Carry on, nothin' to see here... nothin' to see.

Everyone please be sure to check the Group Reads shelf to make sure that we haven't read the books you're nominating.

message 46: by Kim (new)

Kim Peek Megan wrote: "Ghost Story - Peter Straub, if you haven't read it you must! If you have read it you certainly won't mind reading it again."

I love this book. I have read it 3 times and would read it again.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Peek Since the group has read "Ghost Story" I recommend:

The Other by Thomas Tryon by Thomas Tryon

message 48: by Michelle (last edited Sep 16, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 12 comments Kim wrote: "Since the group has read "Ghost Story" I recommend:

The Other by Thomas Tryon"

I love this book! Wouldn't mind reading it again. =O)

message 49: by Blue Eyed Vixen (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen | 3 comments I wanted to nominate Dan Simmon's Carrion Comfort Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons but someone already beat me to it.
I'd second this nomination.

message 50: by Blue Eyed Vixen (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen | 3 comments I also recall reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever - book #1 being Lord Foul's Bane Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1) by Stephen R. Donaldson and loving this series. Also worthy of a nomination if it hasn't been read yet. Thanks.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.