September 2012: Book for the Month discussion

The Light Between Oceans
This topic is about The Light Between Oceans
Finished

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted | 7 comments I finished the book and it was not one of my favorites. Many parts I can personally relate to and still fail to understand. I will never understand how someone can have the greatest thing in their life and risk it for something else. She had the greatest love in the world and instead of cherishing that she instead screws up so many lives. The he decides to screw up all those lives as well to unburden his soul. In the end it was a travesty what happens. I think she was a fool for not realizing what she had. I believe that he's a horrible man for pawning his misery off on everyone else. It was too late to fix anything, the mistakes had been made and he deserved to suffer for it. Instead in an effort to free HIS tormented soul he screws up everyone else. While it would have been wrong to keep quiet and simply continue on it would have made most people involved have better lives. Gwen's real mother was suffering but he didn't end that suffering by revealing the truth just changed it. Everyone else would have ended up in a better place emotionally had the lie simply continued.

Andrea Corley Ted wrote: "I finished the book and it was not one of my favorites. Many parts I can personally relate to and still fail to understand. I will never understand how someone can have the greatest thing in their ..."

That is a very interesting outtake on it! But I think at some point, if you have some sort of conscience, it would eat you alive and that may be the point he arrived at. Maybe him realizing that she was alive and that he had actually met her was just too much for him to bare and live with. I see both sides is all I'm saying but very interesting perspective you have there!

message 3: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted | 7 comments I knew my take would not be the norm. I also am looking at it from a man's perspective. I agree it would eat away at him and her to some extent as well. I am just considering the number of people involved and what his actions ultimately did and didn't do. The pain he caused by his actions.He traded his own pain and gave it to Bluey, his wife, Hannah, Izzy's parents, Hannah's sister and Gwen/Lucy. Hannah was the only one with what could be called a reduced amount of pain based on his actions other than himself but she had to deal with a whole lot more before it got to that. Now maybe Izzy deserved some pain but the rest didn't and it was unfair to give them pain to make himself feel better. I have plenty of sympathy for Hannah but she would be responsible for her own pain eventually. She needed to make a choice to move on or waste away the rest of her life and I know how hard it would be to move on but if she chose to find another person and fall in love and have another child it would have lessened her pain. Now maybe 4 years was too soon but who's to say. I would think eventually her father would have had the same talk with her and maybe she could have let go enough to start again. He was the only other person who really benefited from the truth coming out and he would have been OK either way.

Andrea Corley Ted wrote: "I knew my take would not be the norm. I also am looking at it from a man's perspective. I agree it would eat away at him and her to some extent as well. I am just considering the number of people i..."

HAHAHA its funny that you say that because that was my first thought but I didn't want to insult you, not that a man's perspective is bad, it is usually just very different than that of a woman's!!

I don't know that I could have lived with it forever! I have to look at the aspect though that at least he finally tried to right his wrong. I understand that it really hurt people, but that's consequences for you. There are some that are good and some that are bad, but regardless, every decision that you make will have one either in the present or in the long run. I don't think for a second that he didn't love little Lucy like she was his own, and I say now that I don't think I could like with myself, especially knowing that the mother (that I ASSUMED were dead!) is living in the town that I have to visit when I have leave and I would be afraid that the mother's bond was just unbreakable. Maybe he thought it better then than when Lucy was a tad older, old enough to remember all the trauma, etc. Who knows, I've lost a child and I've been grief stricken and at that moment I would have done anything to have my baby back, including sell my soul to the devil, so one may think that they could never do that but in the end, until you are in the situation, you may never know. I do know that dear Izzy had ole Tom wrapped quite tightly around her finger to persuade him to go along with it in the first place. And he did try to talk to her about it, but stubborn as an ox, she would not have it!

I have such conflicting emotions about this story and still a weekend after finishing it am teter-totting around about what I would or wouldn't do!

This truly is a fantastic read, that makes the reader really feel the depth of emotion that they are writing about and leaves an everlasting impression!

message 5: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted | 7 comments Another thing to consider is how much did they really love each other? When you read the first 2 parts you would say they are truly in love and it's kind of like a fairy tale. But if her love for him was so strong then she wouldn't have needed that child in the first place. Just having him for the rest of her life would be enough. And as for him, wouldn't he be able to do anything at all to bring her happiness. His instinct should have been to protect his wife and child from any harm. To protect his family at any cost. He knew what he was getting into in the beginning and that was about love so strong he was willing to allow it all to happen. He knew from the first day that it was a possibility that something like that could happen. By all rights they had gotten away with it and no one would have found out. Sure once every 3 years he would have had to deal with possibly running into Hannah but if he was afraid of that them he could have tried to transfer to another lighthouse down or simply moved to another town to distance themselves from her.
While I have no children of my own I have dated women with children. My last relationship I would say that I would have done anything for that little girl. I allowed myself to become a victim and nearly paid for it with my life. I sacrificed everything to keep her in my life and to give her happiness. Even today I would take her back in an instant. I fought every natural survival instinct in my body to try and make that relationship work for her sake. She has no father to speak of. He's never been a part of her life, he's a drug addict and was just arrested for murder 2 weeks ago.

unread topics | mark unread