ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > October Suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Hey guys, half month down, hope you're enjoying Gone Girl, time for suggestions.

May I suggest we read something creepy/disturbing/scary for October?

:)

message 2: by Brenden (new)

Brenden (brendend) I vote for THE CASUAL VACANCY by JK Rowling!

message 3: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (sylvie22323) Haunting of Hill House!

message 4: by Wigs (new)

We could do a normal book and then a creepy book for our...like multiple books if we want, because those are both excellent suggestions...I wouldn't be able to choose between the two :)

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andy1) | 5 comments How about this little gem? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... :D

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (megantron) | 7 comments YoungRapunzel wrote: "Haunting of Hill House!"

I second this 8D

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
We should do a creepy classic like Dracula.

message 8: by Wigs (new)

Andrea wrote: "How about this little gem? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... :D"

"the mystery of the eternal dildo curse"

gorl

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Damnation | 15 comments Haunting of Hill House sound good. I'm also going to re-read The Night Country by Stuart O'Nan

message 11: by Lake (new)

Lake | 4 comments I second 'House of Leaves'.

message 12: by Wigs (new)

I am super interested in House of Leaves but also terribly intimidated. I looked at it at the store though and was like shittttt this is gonna be cray.

message 13: by Fran (last edited Sep 15, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments How about The Haunted Vagina?

ETA: Yes, I am currently really enjoying Gone Girl.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (victoriancrumpets) | 8 comments I agree with the Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling!

message 15: by Justina (new)

Justina (bookdrunkreviews) | 10 comments I third the Casual Vacancy, esp since I'm sure a bunch of us will be reading it anyway

message 17: by Wigs (last edited Sep 16, 2012 11:02AM) (new)

Soooo at this point I'm thinking we'll have maybe The Casual Vacancy as automatically one of the books, and then vote on a creepy book for the other? Does that sound like something we want to do?

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Yeah, probably because we're all going to read TCV at some point (unless you're one of those people who need to orgasm over a cover – WTF – to like a book). But I'd definitely like a creepy book for October (not that I ever keep up with reading).

message 19: by Fran (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments Sounds like a plan to me. Just wondering though, why the suggestion of a creepy book?

message 20: by Wigs (new)

October of course! Halloween month, everybody be breakin out their decorations and shit

message 21: by Fran (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments Oh, that's October? It's not such a big deal over here (UK), so I always forget. A couple of days before hand I remember, and then on the 31st I make sure all the lights are off so it looks like I'm not in in case anyone happens to come calling (rare, maybe 1 or 2 occasionally). That's because there's often a lot of idiot yoofs about seeing Halloweed as an excuse for 'antisocial behaviour'. Nov 5th (Bonfire Night) is much more of thing, but that's got nothing to do with scary stuff. I love Bonfire Night.

Although I should've twitted, 'cos I just read this shit (Trixie The Halloween Fairy) to my niece. She loves those Fairy books. Halloween is becoming more of a thing for kids, because of so much cross over with American culture. But they don't tend to go out trick or treating around the streets, and no one decorates their houses, they just tend to go to twee day time Halloween parties.

To ramble on a bit, my Mum misunderstood how trick or treat works last year and when asked 'trick or treat' said 'treat' thinking she'd be given something and then made 2 poor confused teenage girls perform a song and dance for her.

message 22: by Wigs (new)

oh it's a big commercial deal in america

i already bought halloween candy at target yesterday

i am

fucking ready

to eat it myself of course

fuck answering the door and all that

message 23: by forestsprite (new)

forestsprite | 10 comments House of Leaves! Though I'd need to find a physical copy... I don't think it would work in ebook form.

message 24: by Fran (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments Yeah, I get that it is (a big deal in America). I've seen the films where streets are all decorated, bowls of sweets are left out on porches, and dressed up kids prance up and down the streets with their parents. Is it actually like that?

P.S. edited my post above in to a bit of a ramble that explains more about Halloween over here.

message 25: by Wigs (new)

yes it is totally like that for real. although as time as gone on we've figured not to leave the bowls out on porches anymore as teenage bastards come and take the whole thing at once if you leave it there.

and lol about your mom haha

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments As time passes it's getting less and less like that (except maybe in small towns). I miss the big all out house decorating and kids actually trick or treating, and not having to worry about teenage bastards being straight up assholes.

message 27: by Wigs (new)

pumpkin carving is a big tradition too and pumpkin patch visiting and stuff and halloween parties...i dunno i think it's one of the most fun holidays but there are a lot of assholes out there that also think it's the most fun holiday by trolling

message 28: by Wigs (new)

oh and fucking haunted houses yesssss augh i went to one two years ago and it was all Sweeney Todd/ The Ring themed

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Halloween is my absolute favorite. I need friends so I can do something about it other than watching horror movies by myself.

SOOOO excited I get to carve a pumpkin this year! Last year my fingers were broken so I couldn't and the years before in NYC trying to do the pumpkin thing got to be obnoxious.

message 30: by Fran (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments I remember occasionally making pumpkin lanterns, because hey - they're in season. But we just kept them inside, not as outside decorations. Students probably have Halloween parties, and the student bars/clubs do 'spooky' drinks - but students will use any excuse for a party, and the bars/clubs will use any ploy to get them to part with their money.

But mostly it's just knobs out at night, being knobs - hence pretending you're not in. There's been some really bad incidents, like lit fireworks being pushed through letter boxes.

message 31: by Wigs (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

i can't remember the last time i dressed up for halloween. I was gonna be Dexter (in his killing outfit) last year but it was too expensive to go buy the clothes that i wouldn't wear again...

i might be a pirate this year tho lol

and oi about the fireworks :/

message 32: by Helen (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:39PM) (new)

Helen Damnation | 15 comments I don't think Bonfire Night is more of a thing than Halloween. I love fireworks and bonfires, but it's defintely a second pick.

This year we're doing Farmageddon and I'm bricking myself in anticipation already.

message 33: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) I'm voting for The House of Leaves

message 34: by Fran (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:02PM) (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments Helen wrote: "I don't think Bonfire Night is more of a thing than Halloween. I love fireworks and bonfires, but it's defintely a second pick."

In England? Really? I only ever see a few stragglers on the streets on Halloween, but Bonfire Night - fireworks in all the neighbours gardens, and massive local events all over the place. Bonfire Night is awesome. Fire, fireworks, sparklers, hot potatoes...it's amazing. I love it.

message 35: by Helen (new)

Helen Damnation | 15 comments Yes in the UK. North West.
Bonfire Night is lots of organised bonfires that people say they'll go to but don't get around to and sit at their windows watching someone else set off bangers.

message 36: by Fran (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments Interesting, maybe it's a regional thing. I always try to go to something - whether it's large and organised (went to an amazing night at Castle Howard once), or just to a friends party.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread!

message 37: by Wigs (new)

never heard of bonfire night but it sounds fun!

message 38: by Wigs (new)

and lol it's okay i make the poll so I'll know there's a big area of non book stuff.

message 39: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments I second the Classic horror like Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Frankenstein. All solid and good reads for October.

message 40: by Fran (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments I was going to suggest Frankenstein today - I've suggested it for the last couple of months! But all 3 of those are good suggestions.

message 41: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (victoriancrumpets) | 8 comments How about 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' by Ray Bradbury?

message 42: by Mia (new)

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Couple of suggestions for Halloweenish books:

Sisters Red
Dracula

message 43: by Lunarie (new)

Lunarie (baxudevastacio) | 2 comments House of Leaves sounds good.

message 44: by Christy (new)

Christy (cmh85) | 27 comments Frankenstein! (Mainly cause I just started it lol)

message 45: by Emy (new)

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments TCV + a spooky book sounds good. I read all the classics when I was 10-11 so I'd be happy to re-read any of them, but I'm also really intrigued by House of Leaves - it has really good ratings.

Also, I know some of you have already read it, but how about Spook by Mary Roach for non-fiction?

message 46: by Wigs (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:11AM) (new)

I think since we're gonna do two books categories already that we keep it at two as it seems that when we have three there's always one or two at least that suffers participation wise. We can throw Spook into the mix for the creepy poll, though I read it earlier this year and I think some people might get bored with it, it isn't for everyone.

I have a slight grudge as the book gave me a hand injury (lol, yes) that still hasn't gone away and it's been about three months or so. lol don't listen to me.

message 47: by Marie (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 125 comments This one is on my to-read list, so I thought I'd throw it out there:

Caring Is Creepy

Though it has "creepy" in the title, it sounds more fucked up than scary...

message 48: by kieran (new)

kieran (kieran_) I'm gonna go with House of Leaves.

message 49: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (dragonlady1459) | 1 comments Hmmm... How about The Shining by Stephen King? Always good in the category of creepy!

message 50: by Emy (new)

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments Wigs wrote: "I think since we're gonna do two books categories already that we keep it at two as it seems that when we have three there's always one or two at least that suffers participation wise. We can throw..."

That all makes sense...except the hand injury? What?

« previous 1