The Genre Underground discussion

General > Awesome Genre Quotes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M Todd (new)

M Todd Gallowglas (mgallowglas) | 155 comments Mod
If you've got great quotes by genre writers or about our genres in specific, post them here.

message 2: by M Todd (new)

“How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

message 3: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 1 comments “The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.”
― Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

message 4: by M Todd (new)

“[Science fiction is] out in the mainstream now. You can tell by the way mainstream literary authors pillage SF while denying they're writing it!”
― Sir Terry Pratchett

message 5: by M Todd (new)

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
― Dr. Seuss

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee “Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Eaton (heroalwayswins) | 19 comments I love quotes! I do a quote of the day on my Twitter feed (What you don’t follow me? Did someone cast Magic Missile on your brain?). Here are a few of my favorites that I’ve used over the years:

#QuoteOfTheDay "Three hundred lives of men I have walked this earth and now I have no time." #Gandalf

#QuoteOfTheDay “I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further." #DarthVader

#QuoteOfTheDay "You are drunk, and when you are drunk you forget that I am in charge!" #Willow

#QuoteOfTheDay "Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." #PrincessBride

#QuoteOfTheDay "You have nice manners for a thief and a liar." #JRRTolkien

#QuoteOfTheDay “Sorcery really only has only two modes: deliberate, tinkering research and apocalyptic bloodbath.” @Eisengoth

#QuoteOfTheDay “Everybody knows it. Wizards are supposed to have beards. It's common knowledge.” @TerryGoodkind

#QuoteOfTheDay "Touch the sky of human imagination. Read fantasy." @AEMarling

#QuoteOfTheDay “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” @jk_rowling

#QuoteOfTheDay “You break your neck, and I’ll see it mended just so I can break it again." #RobertJordan

#QuoteOfTheDay “There are no heroes...in life, the monsters win.” #GeorgeRRMartin

#QuoteOfTheDay #Revenge is the best revenge.” @MGallowglas

#QuoteOfTheDay “Never laugh at live dragons.” #JRRTolkien #TheHobbit

#QuoteOfTheDay "People are stupid." @TerryGoodkind #WizardsFirstRule

#QuoteOfTheDay "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." #ThePrincessPride

#QuoteOfTheDay "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today." #RobertJordan #MatCauthon

#QuoteOfTheDay "I'm the leading man, might need to do something heroic." #FinalFantasy

#QuoteOfTheDay “Well if you’re going to keep killing me I might as well find out your name.” @MDKenning

#QuoteOfTheDay "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain." @jk_rowling #HarryPotter

#QuoteOfTheDay "I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge." #Tolkien

#QuoteOfTheDay "Can't argue w/the fools...better to let em have their way, then trick them when they're not paying attention" @terrygoodkind

#QuoteOfTheDay "Just once I'd like to not find a dead body in my house. Is that asking too much?" #SookieStackhouse #Trueblood

#QuoteOfTheDay "The hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which." #GeorgeRRMartin

Okay, that was more than a few. Hope you enjoy!

Oh, Ken…that Pratchett quote rocks! I used it for today’s #QuoteOfTheDay over on Twitter!

message 8: by M Todd (new)

Speaking of Pratchett

I've always liked the idea of a special Hugo to be awarded (by force, perhaps) to literary authors who write books dripping with themes filleted from mainstream SF and then deny that it's science fiction "because it's not about robots and spaceships."
-Sir Terry Pratchett

message 9: by M Todd (new)

"You fail only if you stop writing." - Ray Bradbury