Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Harlem Renaissance Novel by Claude McKay is Discovered

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ColumbusReads (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3700 comments Mod
A Columbia graduate student finds a rare manuscript by noted Harlem Renaissance novelist, Claude McKay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/15/boo...

I immensely enjoyed the writings of Nella Larsen. Both, Passing and Quicksand were two of my favorite works of literature from this time period. Anyone familiar with another respected writer of this time period, Jessie Fauset? She was the literary editor for The Crisis periodical during that time and author of The Plum Bun (another book about passing). Why so many books about passing during this period? 

One of my favorite novels and one that must be included on any Harlem Renaissance Best list is Wallace Thurman's Infants of the Spring. An absolutely fascinating and satirical look at the Harlem Renaissance period and the players. 

Were you a fan of this New Negro Movement? Besides the most noted Harlem Renaissance works from writers like Langston Hughes and Zora Neale Hurston, who are your favorite writers, or, which novels were your favorites during this glorious time period?

Continualknowledge | 41 comments Thanks for sharing Columbus. I'm glad to hear the book will be published and like the others I hope it adds to the period

message 3: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyalit) | 6 comments I enjoyed reading The Living is Easy by Dorothy West.

message 4: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Very exciting! I have always loved McKay's poem, "If We Must Die". I'll post it below in the "Poetry" folder in honor of this great discovery.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2871 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing. So glad to hear this!

The Harlem Renaissance is my fav period of AA literature. Very hard to pick a fav but Wallace Thurman - The Blacker the Berry, Arna Bontemps - Black Thunder, George Schuyler - Black No More, Nella Larsen - Passing, Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, etc.

message 6: by Trinna (new)

Trinna Williams | 1 comments This is very exciting! The Harlem Renaissance is my favorite time periods. I can't wait for it to get published.

message 7: by Dera (new)

Dera (dwillwrite) | 13 comments This is indeed exciting and historical. This is huge. The Harlem Renaissance writing is some of my favorite. Looking forward to reading McKay's novel.

message 8: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3700 comments Mod
Dera, Trinna, Beverly - I so agree. I actually think that time period is underrated, if you can believe that! Langston, Zora, Thurman, Nella, Bontemps, Countee, McKay, Fauset, Nugent, et al....contributed so much. Glorious period!

message 9: by sarah (new)

sarah louise (s_l_p) | 3 comments I am excited for the new McKay --- was utterly enthralled by Banjo...this comment bears little weight in the convo but I was just excited enough I had to say so.

message 10: by Elatsoe Stan (new)

Elatsoe Stan | 58 comments Nice! In related news, PMLA just released a "missing story" from fellow Harlem Renaissance writer Rudolph Fisher. It came out in their May 2012 issue.