Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > DC: Virginal Heroes

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Sexually-experienced heroes are a staple in romance novels. In fact, rakes/playboys are almost considered the norm.

However, there are some books with authors who have offered us virginal/untouched heroes, who even in their pure state, can make us sizzle and burn.

Who do you know fits this category?

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:15AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I honestly can't think of a male virginal hero in any of the romance novels I read as an adult. Half the women may be virgins, lol, but not found any men that are yet. (Young-adult/teen romances are the only places I know to find them.)

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Oh...I can think of three off the top of my head.

Phury in the Black Dagger Brotherhood book Lover Enshrined - Poor Phury. He and Zadist are two of the most tortured, twisted twins I've ever seen.

Jamie in Outlander - I was shocked that he was a virgin and thought at first he was kidding.

Conrad in Dark Needs at Night's Edge - His "education" was some of the hottest sex I've read in a mainstream paranormal romance. Delicious!

I love the virgin angle when it's done well. I hate it when the sex is rushed. It's the seduction and the slow deflowering that makes it so good.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Wow the only one I can think of is Edward, but then again he got some nookie in the last book. Oh well.

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:43AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL..well...i didn't say they have to stay a virgin throughout the whole book..that defeats the purpose of a romance novel...LOL..

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'll second Lori on Phury and Conrad.

Phury
Lover Enshrined by JR Ward
Black Dagger Brotherhood Series

Known as the celibate, his most distinguinshing features are his beautiful, multi-colored mane of a hair, and canary yellow eyes. Twin brother of Zsadist.

I wouldn't say his book is my favorite among the BDB books, because its not. I would even go so far as to say it was probably the one I found most difficult to read. I've reread all the BDB books cover to cover several times, except for Lover Enshrined.

message 7: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:53AM) (new)

Stephanie I know this is off topic, but....

How many books are in the BDB series? You all really seem to like these books.
Maybe I will start this in the summer, I will be in FLA for 10 days, and I will need something while I am doing nothing .

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Stephanie,

There are six books out, and an Insider's Guide. The seventh book which be a hardcover will be coming out in April.

Here are the titles in order:

Dark Lover
Lover Eternal
Lover Awakened
Lover Revealed
Lover Unbound
Lover Enshrined
*Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide

Coming soon: Lover Avenged

I highly recommend these books...you can also check out JR Ward's website for more tidbits and info.

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Another one from Lori's list.

Conrad Wroth
Dark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole
Immortals After Dark Book 5

Mad vampire assassin. Grew up as a warrior, unschooled when it comes to women.

message 10: by new_user (last edited Feb 05, 2009 11:17PM) (new)

new_user Matthew from Untouched. It's a historical and the hero's very sweet. It's definitely an exploration of characters as much of the novel takes place while he and the heroine are imprisoned by the baddie. He starts off suspicious of the heroine (he has reason) and the two get to know each other. The "deflowering" (LOL) is a little more realistic. He's not a whiz at first. But he doesn't mind trying again. ;)

message 11: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments hah! nice to know he takes his research so seriously LOL

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) On my bookshelves is a Harlequin Temptation, published 1991, First and forever by Katherine Kendall. Heroine in her 30s, perfect life, but her clock is ticking. Hero, survivor of car accident & spent his late teens in rehabilitation. She freaks because of the age gap. And he totally fumbles their first night when he can't undo her bra... but we all live in HEA...

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2009 06:53AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Judd Lauren
Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh
Psy/Changeling series Book 3

Judd is a renegade arrow and a Psy, a race whose emotions have been "conditioned" out of them and touch is anathema and actually causes physical pain. So when he got involved with vulnerable werewolf Brenna, Judd is in totally unfamiliar territory...of physical affection, warmth and the need to be touch.

I don't know how the author did it, but she was able to make an icy cold hero so scorchingly hot...I guess you just have to read the book..LOL..

message 14: by Lori (last edited Feb 06, 2009 07:01AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Okay, I can't let this topic go by without mentioning at least one of my favorite gay "virgins" Tyler from the Heaven Sent series. Tyler had been with women but never a man until he fell in love with rockstar Johnnie. The seduction of Tyler was one of the hottest "deflowering" scenes I've ever read. It was gentle, loving and beautiful.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1245 comments I could be remembering wrong, but aren't most of Feehan's Carpathians virgins? I'm not sure which series I'm rembering, but I know I've read one where most of the males weren't experienced.

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Marco McKinley

Parallel Heat by Deidre Knight
Midnight Warriors series book 2

Trained to be a royal protector, a Madjin, Marco has never been with a woman. Thea, cousin to the king, however, fill him with sensual dreams.

I'm not a big fan of alien romance but Deidre Knight's series will always have a spot in my heart as extremely well-written, populated with unforgettable characters, and complex conflicts.

message 17: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Lori wrote: "Okay, I can't let this topic go by without mentioning at least one of my favorite gay "virgins" Tyler from the Heaven Sent series. Tyler had been with women but never a man until he fell in love w..."

Speaking of Jet Mykles, her character - Aaron - from Tech Support would count. At least for the virgin theme 'cos I have a hard time seeing him as a hero, as such, prob because she writes him as the geek so well =) Although I liked the other main character Yoshiki although hmm he was hardly a virgin

message 18: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Francis, Lord Middlethorpe from Forbidden by Jo Beverley
One of the Rogue’s. He loses his virginity rather early in the book...

Wren Tigarian from Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Were-Hunter, reclusive and anti-social tigard

message 19: by Julianna (last edited Apr 03, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1738 comments Oooo, I love virgin heroes. Just about all the books that have been mentioned so far, I've either already read or they're on my TBR list. Here are a few more I've come across in my reading:

Clayton Holland from Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath - Clayton is a sensitive sculptor who was a conscientious objector to the Civil War and tortured/imprisoned for his beliefs. Clayton's best friend died in the war and he's in love with the friend's widow but she hates him because he didn't fight.

Noah LeCroix from Blue Moon by Jill Marie Landis - Noah is a shy half-breed recluse who lives in the swamp. He rescues the lovely Olivia who spent a year in a brothel against her will.

Ciaran Tamberlane from My Forever Love by Marsha Canham - Ciaran is a knight who took a vow of celibacy when he became a member of the Knight's Templar. He rescues and falls for a woman who has been abused by her husband.

Samuel Gerard from The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale - Orphaned Samuel was abused as a child prostitute until the hero and heroine of the previous book took him in and gave him a real home. Now he's an avenging angel Ninja who struggles with his sexual desires and falls for a prim, proper Victorian lady.

message 20: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Nice list, Julie. It's like a cheat sheet to me, cause I haven't read any of those. Thnx

message 21: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Julie,

Great recommendations. I would definitely be interested in checking these heroes out.

message 22: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1738 comments Glad to help. If/when you read them, I hope you enjoy.:-)

message 23: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Annvelwis wrote: "Francis, Lord Middlethorpe from Forbidden by Jo Beverley
One of t..."

Wrens book is the only one i haven't been able to get hold of so far::damn::

message 24: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Adrienne wrote: "Wrens book is the only one i haven't been able to get hold of so far::damn::"

I very much recommend it :) I think it's the only one in the series (where were-hunter is a hero) without pressure of fate, destiny in the matter of hero and heroine's relationship. It's much more intresting that way imo.

message 25: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Will need to check the great god AMAZON lol::

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments My May Pick it for Me book, Dark Thirst by Sara Reinke, features a virgin hero. Brandon is not only a virgin, but he is also the only deaf mute vampire I've ever read about. He was beaten and attacked as a child, then grew up to be abused by his family. He's a super sweet character. I'm liking the book so far.

message 27: by Varsha (new)

Varsha | 9 comments Guys if u really wanna enjoy sexy seduction of virginal hero... read Story of Son From JR Ward in Dead after Dark... amazing... Also Yes Judd from Caresed by Ice is another powerhouse.

Though Phury was celibate, his story was not projected properly.. I blv Zhadist inspite of being Sex Slave was represented a virginal when it comes to making Love.:)

message 28: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I haven't read the Story of Son but I'm looking forward to it.

message 29: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Hi, Varsha! Welcome.

message 30: by Varsha (new)

Varsha | 9 comments thanks.. Love the discussions here :)

message 31: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Darn, forgot to do the meet-and-greet thing.

Welcome to the group, Varsha. Happy that you enjoy the discussions.

message 32: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1738 comments Here's a Listopia list for fans of virginal heroes:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/16...#

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Julie. I found a book or two on that list I havn't read yet that I own.

message 34: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1738 comments You're welcome, Briansgirl. There are tons on the list that I haven't read yet, but I think just about all of them are on my TBR.:-)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I only found 2 I had in my stack of books and I havn't read either.

message 36: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 13 comments You can add Zack Knight (firefighter/paramedic) from Under Fire by Jo Davis to the virgin hero list.

message 37: by Arch (new)

Arch I love virgin heroes.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 81 comments Lori wrote: "Oh...I can think of three off the top of my head.

Phury in the Black Dagger Brotherhood book Lover Enshrined - Poor Phury. He and Zadist are two of the most tortured, twisted twins I've ever see..."

I just finished reading
Dark Needs At Night's Edge I loved Conrad and you are so right his "education" was some of the hottest stuff I have read.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 350 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Oooo, I love virgin heroes. Just about all the books that have been mentioned so far, I've either already read or they're on my TBR list. Here are a few more I've come across in my reading:

Clayto..."

Julie I think we are lost sisters, and Arch. I love the virgin heroes too. I was looking at your post in April and we have some of the same favorites. I just loved Ciaran and Samuel.

message 40: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1738 comments LOL, Danielle! We do seem to have very similar tastes, don't we?:-)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 350 comments Yes, indeed, Julie.