Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Reviewing > R2R

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments This is the Read to Review folder where fellow fantasy and sci-fi authors can offer editions of their books, if they want, in exchange for a review. The moderators will of course be helping edit folders and so on but it's mainly up to any authors who want to participate to feel free to do so. Make yourself a thread about your offer here but don't just use the folder to advertise! Thanks everyone, hope you enjoy utilising these kinds of tools!

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 337 comments Will the main focus of this be e-books?

message 3: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Mokha (mokha) | 11 comments Hi Jonathan

I'm happy to give away a mobi, pdf and epub in return for a review. Which reminds me, Jonathan - you have my book labelled as to read. Shall I email you a digital version?

Hi Brenda
I'm not a moderator, but I'm guessing if someone wants to post a hard copy in return for a review that would be OK.

That's my 2 cents for now.

Cheers
PS Mokha

message 4: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Well any book the author is willing to send out to people who want to read. Which I suspect mainly will be e-books. If you want to send hardcover or paperbacks then that's 'allowed'. Basically just feel free to make a new topic about your book and people can chip in and read and review. The review part is of course most important if you participate.

message 5: by AM Hazel (new)

AM Hazel (arialynx) Hi Mokha, Last Sanctuary sounds interesting. I've put it on my to read bookshelf!

message 6: by Kevis (last edited Sep 16, 2012 07:03AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 44 comments I'd be happy to give away copies of my books in exchange for a review as well. In fact, I'm offering digital ARCS of my upcoming science fiction novel Rogue Hunter: Inquest right now to interested parties. But if something else in my book listing strikes your fancy, just message me with the appropriate book title and I'll send the book your way.

message 7: by Raven (new)

Raven | 9 comments Kevis wrote: "I'd be happy to give away copies of my books in exchange for a review as well. In fact, I'm offering digital ARCS of my upcoming science fiction novel Rogue Hunter: Inquest right now to interested ..."

Kevis wrote: "I'd be happy to give away copies of my books in exchange for a review as well. In fact, I'm offering digital ARCS of my upcoming science fiction novel Rogue Hunter: Inquest right now to interested ..."

Hi kevis..i would love an epub version of your book rogue hunter,sounds like an exciting story.
Gary

message 8: by Kevis (last edited Sep 19, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 44 comments Raven wrote: "Hi kevis..i would love an epub version of your book rogue hunter,sounds like an exciting story.
Gary."

Gary, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I am only offering .PDF versions of ARC Copies of Inquest right now. The epub version won't be ready until the final edit is complete next month. If you're still interested in reading an ARC copy of Inquest, just shoot me a message telling me where to send it and I'll get it to you. Thanks.

message 9: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) I would love to do this for my book Horses and Farms For Fantasy Writers. It is only in ebook format. Just pm me your email address & I'll send you a copy.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Cartwright (susancartwright) Horace wrote: "I would love to do this for my book Horses and Farms For Fantasy Writers. It is only in ebook format. Just pm me your email address & I'll send you a copy."

What a great idea for the writers who just don't know horses. I grew up with them, so your book is not really for me, but I just wanted to say Horace that I think that is a usuful service you are providing there. Susan

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Cartwright (susancartwright) Hi Everyone,

I will give a kindle or Pdf copy to any Science Fiction/ Fantasy people who are interested.

Wolf Dawn is written in multiple point of view "Game of Thrones" style, so if you don't like that kind of thing it is not for you. Reviews are great but no one has to review it unless they really want to. I would like a bit of feedback however. Write me your email address and I will send it along. Here is the synopsis:

"Ashton Chayton was born with a powerful gift, a unique inhuman ability. Orphaned, raised by the Red Wolves of Opan, captured and enslaved - he is now free and on the run.

Unfortunately everybody wants Ashton. Admiral Jones will torture him to get the secret of his power. Lady Lindha feels he is "The One" as named in Temple prophecy. The influential Lord Andros just wants him dead.

Ashton only wants two things: revenge, and the Lady Lindha. If you had unique powers, wouldn't you use them to get what you want?"

Thanks everyone…
Susan
Wolf Dawn by Susan Cartwright

message 12: by Raven (new)

Raven | 9 comments Susan wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I will give a kindle or Pdf copy to any Science Fiction/ Fantasy people who are interested.

Wolf Dawn is written in multiple point of view "Game of Thrones" style, so if you don't ..."

Sounds interesting susan..here is my email blancraven@gmail.com....Gary

message 13: by Raven (new)

Raven | 9 comments Kevis wrote: "Raven wrote: "Hi kevis..i would love an epub version of your book rogue hunter,sounds like an exciting story.
Gary."

Gary, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I am only offering .PDF versions..."

Kevis wrote: "Raven wrote: "Hi kevis..i would love an epub version of your book rogue hunter,sounds like an exciting story.
Gary."

Gary, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I am only offering .PDF versions..."
blancraven@gmail.com...Gary

message 14: by Raven (new)

Raven | 9 comments Kevis wrote: "Raven wrote: "Hi kevis..i would love an epub version of your book rogue hunter,sounds like an exciting story.
Gary."

blancraven@gmail...gary

message 15: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 44 comments Raven wrote: "Kevis wrote: "Raven wrote: "Hi kevis..i would love an epub version of your book rogue hunter,sounds like an exciting story.
Gary."

Gary, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I am only offering..."

Sent!

message 16: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) Susan wrote: "What a great idea for ..."

Thank you for your kind words & for showing me how it's done.
;-)

Horses and Farms For Fantasy Writers is a quick reference by a farm boy who loves reading fantasy. My family & I were practically born on horse back (my daughter quite literally) & live with them. While they're not as cuddly as dogs, they are every bit as important in our lives & should be to anyone who uses & depends on them constantly - like the characters in a fantasy novel. Yet, horses are often treated as no more than cars with hooves.

I've been asked a lot of questions by authors over the years & this addresses those plus a lot of things I've seen on TV. Horses don't nicker & snort as much as they show in "War Horse" nor do they whinny when a rider jerks on the reins, although Hollywood sure makes it seem like they do. So if you don't know horses or farms, but want to write about them, this book will give you a quick personal look at both. I didn't go into a lot of detail on most subjects. Instead, I laid out the basics & included links to places where more detail can be found, if you need or want it.

So PM me for a free copy & feel free to share it.

message 17: by D.E.M. (last edited Oct 18, 2012 09:11AM) (new)

D.E.M. Emrys (d_e_m_emrys) | 5 comments From Man to Man

‘I’ve traded my old enemies for just this one…’ The axe thundered home. ‘I miss the old ones.’

Every man has a past, none more so than Draven Reinhardt. Abandoning his old life to settle down as a villager, he struggles to fit in, let alone hold down a job. When opportunity offers the much needed coin, Draven is torn between a promise and a purpose.

But, what’s one last job if you’ve already got blood on your hands?

‘From Man to Man’ is the story of how one man can change – or not – for the best. Prequel to the upcoming novel ‘It Began With Ashes’, the short (6400 words) introduces the reader to a world of suspense, intrigue, and action.

BONUS MATERIAL:
Exclusive preview chapter from ‘It Began With Ashes’.

Available from:
Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/From-Man-Wroge-...
Amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Man-Wrog...
Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

I'm offering FREE copies to anyone willing to review/rate/shelf it on Goodreads and elsewhere. If you're interested in helping out please drop me a message on this topic, send me a direct message on goodreads, or email me on dememrys@hotmail.co.uk

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Marchant (jamiemarchant) | 16 comments I'd be happy to offer a pdf or mobi copy to anyone interested in doing a review. My novel _The Goddess's Choice_ is a sword/sorcery fantasy. The Goddess's Choice The first two chapters are also available on my website http://jamie-marchant.com/album1_003.htm .

The crown princess Samantha fears she’s mad; no one but she sees colors glowing around people. The peasant Robrek Angusstamm believes he’s a demon; animals speak to him, and his healing powers far outstrip those of his village’s priests. Despite their fears, their combined powers make them the goddess’s choice to rule the kingdom of Korthlundia.

In my sword and sorcery novel, The Goddess’s Choice, Samantha’s ability enables her to discern a person’s character through their multi-colored aura, and Robrek’s makes him the strongest healer the kingdom has seen in centuries. But their gifts also endanger their lives. Royals scheme to usurp the throne by marrying or killing Samantha, and priests plot to burn Robrek at the stake. Robrek escapes the priests only to be captured by Samantha’s arch-enemy, Duke Argblutal; Argblutal intends to force the princess to marry him by exploiting Robrek’s powers. To save their own lives and stop the realm from sinking into civil war, Robrek and Samantha must consolidate their powers and unite the people behind them.

The Goddess’s Choice is based on a Norwegian fairy tale, “The Princess and the Glass Hill.” Though my favorite fairy tale as a child, it disturbed me that the female character has no name and no role other than being handed off as a prize. My novel remakes the crown princess of Korthlundia into a strong heroine who is every bit as likely to be the rescuer as the one rescued.

PM me if interested.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Mullikin | 2 comments Relics and Wonders Lombard's Amulet by Kevin Mullikin
Relics and Wonders: Lombard's Amulet

The season of peace is over. If humanity will not bow to enslavement then the Dark Elf will see them burn, along with any who stand in his way. Try and stop him, he dares you...

Driven by vengeance, a bounty hunter with strange and unexplainable abilities tracks a sorcerer and his accomplice across a land full of vampires, werewolves, elves, and dwarves among dozens of other magical beings. While in their pursuit, he meets Kyra, a thirteen-year-old slave whose tragic past and colossal secret may be the one thing capable of reigniting war between two kingdoms now sworn to protect one another. And to complicate matters is the sudden disappearance of Lombard's Amulet, a powerful relic created for the purpose of peace yet capable of annihilating anyone of magical blood who stands near its presence.

Hello everyone. My name is Kevin Mullikin and I am the author of the new fantasy series, Relics and Wonders: Lombard's Amulet.

I am happy to give away copies of my novel in exchange for an open and honest review. It is available in all ebook formats (.mobi, epub, pdf, rtf, lrf, palm doc, html)

If you would like to know more about the book, please feel free to visit our website at www.relicsandwonders.com

Thank you and Happy Reading!

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim Craire | 15 comments I'm looking for reviews for my fantasy novel, The Pennants of Larkhall. I can send a mobi or epub file.

Back cover:

Prince Harlan ascends the throne of Larkhall on the battlefield when his father is killed beside him; he instantly inherits the invasion of corpse-like Northerners which rages around him – and also a surging blight, centered on an ancient crater, which has been turning farms to ash and will soon starve his people even if they repel the invaders. The legends of Larkhall contend that a monarch might end the blight by descending into the crater and a cavern system within. With the help of his capable sister Calandra, his mother Rowena, and his great uncle Orovein – but opposed by his ambitious and desperate cousin Amira – Harlan must choose between abandoning his people to a poisonous siege or watching their homeland literally turn to dust. Harlan knows the chronicles and lore of his ancestors, who have fought for centuries for their kingdom and its people; but none has stopped the blight or withstood an army like the one outside the gates of Larkhall.

Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Pennants-La...

You can send me a message here or write to timcraire @ gmail.com. Thanks!

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 1 comments Reviews are welcome from those who love a good combination of urban fantasy and politics (and some economics). This book discusses a lot about what society people want, but also blends in unlimited magic. It's quite different. It's story of arrogant and feuding wizards who know little about humans but seize power and profess to act in their best interests, in today's world. Then there is a clash of values.

I can send a .mobi or .epub copy to those who contact me through Goodreads.

The Four Kings
The Four Kings by Scott Spotson

message 22: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Webb (mjwebb) | 3 comments Hi,
I'd like to offer a free pdf file to any group members interested in reviewing any of my trilogy if I may? I suppose you'd class them as epic fantasy.
The books were penned for my children and any readers over the age of twelve, though they seem to have been enjoyed by adult readers.
The Keeper of the Stones (Jake West, #1) by M.J. Webb
Warriors of the Heynai (Jake West, #2) by M.J. Webb
The Estian Alliance (Jake West, #3) by M.J. Webb

Just pms me with your preferred e-mail address.

Thanks and best wishes.

message 23: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 45 comments Hi everyone. I would love some reviews of my novel Amadar.
Amadar by Dave Robinson
Amadar
It's heroic fantasy about a thief and warrior who get caught up in a war of prophecy.
Just PM me here or email me at dave.c.robinson@gmail.com

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Lein (marklein) | 6 comments Book Title: Path of Darkness (Book#2 of The Seeker's Burden)
Genre: Fantasy
Reader Age Range: YA to Adult
Content Warnings (ex.Violence): Action scenes
Length (Word count or # of pages)176
How Many Copies: 10
Format(s): PDF, EPUB
Goodreads Link To Book:https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 25: by C.J. (last edited Dec 10, 2014 12:21PM) (new)

C.J. Thompson | 1 comments I am looking for someone to do a R2R for my free short fantasy "The Forgotten Wizard."

It is only 13k words long, part 1 of a longer series.

"Determined to save his dying father, Roland Roper only has one hope. Decades after the Greystone war, wizards are now presumed to be extinct. That is, until rumors fly that one has been sighted outside the village. Knowing it's his father’s only hope, Roland sets out to find this forgotten wizard.

With the help of his friend Tristan, the two set out on an adventure into the unfamiliar world. Attacked by a magical creature in the dark woods, they learn he is connected to the forgotten wizard. Taking the creature hostage, the two decide to use him as leverage to attract the wizard.

Even with the help of this creature, convincing the wizard to heal his father turns out to be more of a challenge than once thought. In a struggle to save his father, Roland learns what it takes to be a man in this coming to age story.

The Forgotten Wizard - Part 1 Of A Longer Series"

Here is the link to the free download at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Forgotten-W...

Hope someone enjoys it :) Thanks

message 26: by Allynn (new)

Allynn Riggs (allynnriggs) | 45 comments I can send a PDF, or paperback (360 pgs) version of my award winning scifi/fantasy, "The Blood: The Stone's Blade, #1" to a maximum of ten interested readers in return for reviews. Published in May 2014, "The Blood" garnered three awards from the Colorado Independent Publishers Association in August 2014.It placed Third in fantasy and Third in science fiction and the cover and interior design received a Merit Award.

The Blood has been well received by the verbal comments I have gotten and I would like to have more reviews appear on Goodreads and Amazon if possible. This is especially important to me as the second installment of the series, "The Balance", is undergoing the editing process and I am planning to publish it later this year. Any reviews of "The Blood" will help me with perfecting this second book.

Here's a brief of "The Blood":

Only the one known as The Blood can save Lrakira and time is running out. The three Lrakiran guardian Stones have expected this extinction plague as it heralds the beginning of a reunion of two worlds and peoples divided from their origin world one thousand years ago. They charge Renloret, a star-runner pilot who has a reputation for being late to everything, to pilot a mission to the planet Teramar to retrieve a five-year-old girl whose blood contains the cure for a disease that is killing the women of Lrakira.

When Renloret's ship crashes on Teramar leaving him the sole survivor, Renloret must go against first contact protocols by enlisting the natives of a small village in his search for the child. First, he must find her then he must figure out a way to get her back to Lrakira. As he races time to save his people Renloret becomes enamored with his rescuer, Ani, again against the rules. His heart wars with logic and promises as he must choose between the survival of his species or staying on Teramar with Ani.

And Ani has problems of her own which threaten to reveal Renloret's alien identity and put his life in danger.

Will there be time? Will the child be found? Will Renloret forsake his people and his promise to the Stones and stay on Teramar with Ani?

To decide if you are interested in reviewing go to the link on Amazon and click on the "Look Inside" button to read the first four chapters. Of course, you can also purchase it in either Kindle or paperback on Amazon. ;)

http://alturl.com/fbn43

Please PM me with your e-mail address for PDF or mailing address for paperback shipping.

I look forward to discussing "The Blood" with you and hope you enjoy it.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.