Anything Goes discussion

The Classics > Classics we love

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited Sep 15, 2012 12:13AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Do you have a favourite classic, one you read over and over?

I have a couple that my husband refers to as my "comfort reading". Pride and Prejudice and The Return of the Native. Both a bit girly, but wonderful

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Mine are Jane Eyre, The Hobbit and Pride and Prejudice.

The Hobbit is my 'fall asleep aide', two nights ago I heard the title, and description of his green door and then Bilbo was lost under the mountain after being captured by the goblins!

message 3: by Karen M (new)

Karen M Little Women, Make Way for Lucia and The Hobbit. Read multiple times and to be read many more.

message 4: by Chris (last edited Sep 16, 2012 02:07AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Karen M wrote: "Little Women, Make Way for Lucia and The Hobbit. Read multiple times and to be read many more."

I've not read Make Way for Lucia, I'll have look that one out. Huge though at 1134 pages. I'll have to see if there is a kindle edition, or do some weight training! Thanks for mentioning that one Karen

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric (beefdurkee) | 122 comments To Kill a Mockingbird I read it many, many times. I wish I was more like Atticus Finch,one of the main characters. So here is the question, Would you write one great novel or a few good ones?

message 6: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 38 comments I don't read books over and over....but love P&P and have watched the mini-series more than once!

Some other favorites include Anna Karenina and Rebecca and The Woman in White. I also enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo

I am currently reading Crime and Punishment and listening to Persuasion.

message 7: by Angela (last edited Sep 17, 2012 12:28AM) (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments I loved Far from the Madding Crowd,The Count of Monte Cristo and Pride and Prejudice.
Last year I read Bleak House - the second effort - but really enjoyed it.
At the moment, I'm reading Villette - pretty good, but maybe too much French in it for me!

message 8: by JackieB (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:15AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Chris wrote: "Karen M wrote: "Little Women, Make Way for Lucia and The Hobbit. Read multiple times and to be read many more."

I've not read Make Way for Lucia, I'll have look that one out. Huge though at 1134 ..."

Make Way for Lucia is an omnibus of 6 Lucia Books: Queen Lucia, Miss Mapp, Lucia in London, Mapp and Lucia, Trouble for Lucia and The Worshipful Lucia (AKA Lucia's progress). If the omnibus edition is too heavy, maybe you can get them seperately (although an ebook of the onmibus might work out cheaper of course). There's also two more Lucia onmibuses: Lucia Rising and Lucia Victrix, which each have 3 of the stories.

This might come as some surprise (!) but the "Lucia" books of E.F. Benson are some of my absolute top fovourite classics ever. I know all this, because I found the omnibus editions hoping that they were new Lucia books. Incidentally, someone has written a book based on Major Benjy. If you are interested, I'll look up the details for you. I haven't got around to that book yet, but I will.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I collected a copy of Make Way for Lucia from the library today. I hope nobody else puts in a request for it, coz I'm not getting through that one in 3 weeks! Great doorstop though!

message 10: by Karen M (last edited Oct 11, 2012 01:18PM) (new)

Karen M Chris wrote: "Karen M wrote: "Little Women, Make Way for Lucia and The Hobbit. Read multiple times and to be read many more."

I've not read Make Way for Lucia, I'll have look that one out. Huge though at 1134 ..."

Oh, you're very welcome. Now I want to reread it again! LOL

The first time I read a library copy. When I went to borrow it again for a reread, they no longer had a copy so thnks to Powell Books (I put in a request to be notifietd when they had a used copy available) I finally got my own copy. Oh, and the copy although "used" was brand new and they charged me a dollar more than the price on the book but it's such a fun read that it was well worth the price.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 2 comments My favorites are: Gone with the Wind,
Rebecca, Jane Eyre, The House on the Strand, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Watership Down and there are probably a few more but that is what I can think of at the moment.

message 12: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 1282 comments Mod
Gotta be The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings for me