The Riyria Revelations discussion

Contacting Michael

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Aug 05, 2011 04:21AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 268 comments Mod
Michael loves hearing from "Dark Roomers" (people who are a fan of Riyria. If you want to connnect with Michael here are some of the places to go.

This forum - he stops in frequently
Ridan Connect - Author/Fan Site - coming soon
Blog: www.riyria.com
Twitter: @author_sullivan
Email: michael.sullivan.dc@gmail.com
Facebook: Click here

And don't forget to become a
fan of Michael here on GoodReads.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Lol - Michael didn't see that I already had a post about his blog and started a new thread. I'm deleting his thread and copying/pasting what he said from it here.
----------------------------------------
I have a blog. Not sure people here know this--not sure anyone does. Robin says it is important I have one, so I do. A lot of what is on it has appeared in my profile section here on GoodReads or on Amazon. But I was wondering if I should also copy some of the posts here for your convenience. Most of them are thoughts on writing or my progress on the next book. Some have actually commented that they found them entertaining. So let me know.

In case you're interested the actual blog is located at: http://riyria.blogspot.com/

If you visit leave a message or something so I know someone actually comes by. I know I sound like an old parent who never sees his kids anymore, but we writers crave attention you know, that's why we lock ourselves in isolation and have cats and--maybe I ought to rethink this.

message 3: by Robin (new)

For any who might have known, Michael's website was HORRIFICALLY out of date. We just got done combinging his blog with his website so now there is only one place to go.

www.riyria.blogspot.com - is the address if you use the old one - it should redirect you - but if it doesn't then there is a link to it.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments The redesigned blog looks fantastic!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Glad you like it heather.

message 6: by Robin (new)

I'm doing some big restructuring on Michael's blog site now. Making a section for Riyria and then sectons for other works in process.

message 7: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 2 comments I am REALLY looking forward to finding out more about the "works in progress".

Splitter

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 8 comments ooh...I've been off Goodreads but wanted to get back involved with it. Planning on a lot of reading over the holidays - I'd love to hear about works in progress as well. - Come on January - I MUST have Percepliquis!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
My blog has all kinds of "works in progress" information. You can find it here.

One of the things you can do from that site is "weigh-in" on other stuff you would like to see from me. Projects that have a high degree of interest from you all has a greater chance of being written of course.

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy Majors-Foley | 1 comments Congratulations on all your success! I read and really enjoyed the first five books, and now I am just starting Percepliquis. I'm looking forward to seeing how the series ends, but I have to admit I'm struggling a little right now because I'm afraid that I don't remember all the details of where the story left off. I looked for some kind of summary or synopsis online, but I guess no one has gotten around to writing one yet, since it's such a new release. I know that in the past I've sometimes seen fantasy authors (well, I suppose other authors too) include a few pages in the begining of a new installment in a series that recaps where the story left off, which would be really helpful for anyone returning to the series after a hiatus of weeks to months. I'm glad to say that the more I read, the more it jogs my memory, so I'm not going to let it stop me. I just thought I'd share the suggestion. I'm already looking forward to seeing what you'll write in the future! Thanks for a truly enjoyable reading experience!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Thanks Katy, I may put something together and put out on my blog - I just hate having "spoilers out there." In general I will refresh your memory of important things you need to know. It's a tightrope act as you don't wan to bore those who either have a good memory or read in quick succession. In any case...if you aren't finding enough of the "back-refferences, let me know and I can fill you in here - and it might help me to formulate the type of things that need to be filled in.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Oh...and btw - there is a "glossary of terms and characters in the book and reading through that may give your memory a bit of a jog as well.

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie | 4 comments hey does the poll on the blogspot mean that a new book might be written? I hope it does

message 14: by Michael (new)

As the magic eyeball sometimes says, "Outlook good." I actually have a ton of projects right now in various states of completion. But sales are steady enough that it would seem like it wouldn't be a complete waste of my time to entertain the notion.

I do have one book at the publisher's now and they have 45 days to review and either decide to publish or cut bait. I'm pretty much in a holding pattern until I get the word from them.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Michael wrote: "As the magic eyeball sometimes says, "Outlook good." I actually have a ton of projects right now in various states of completion. But sales are steady enough that it would seem like it wouldn't be a complete waste of my time to entertain the notion."

Um, Michael, it definitely wouldn't be a waste of time! I know I'm not the only one dying for more! ;-)

message 16: by Michael (new)

Well "waste of time" might not be the right phrase. You have to remember when I wrote these books I had no intention on publishing them so I could write without a care in the world.

A lot has changed since then, the most important of which is that my writing started making money to the extent that Robin could quit her day job. Now that she has, I need to try to write stuff that people will buy or this whole dream of writing full-time is going to vanish in a puff of smoke.

So, what I really mean is that whatever I write has to stand a pretty good chance of making some money, sorry if that sounds crass, but I gotta eat and what not. So until the books were released...and some time went by...it was really hard to tell if they would just lie there like a dead animal or actually "have some legs" such that I could do more.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Nope, not crass. Makes perfect sense. I really, really hope you find that writing more Riyria will work for you! :-)

message 18: by Riki (new)

Riki (grifter730) | 9 comments I'm a big Riyria fan (I consider it my fav story), and I'm really scared about sequels. In a way, I'd love it, but the series is so good that I'm tempted to plead for you to leave it as is.

Another thing to consider is, would you rather that you become known for one series, much like RA Salvatore and his Drizzt books, or would you rather be more like Neil Gaiman? Not saying that one is better than the other, but surely someone with your skills could hopefully succeed beyond one set of world/characters.

I voted for a sequel 100 years into the future, since I was hoping that it wouldn't involve characters that we know. Even then, I'm still terrified, sorry ;)

message 19: by Michael (new)

Riki,
I don't think you have to worry too much. I think I'm more protective of the series than anyone else out there and I wouldn't do anything to tarnish it.

I have "good book ideas" both in the series and outside of it, and wouldn't just "tack on" or "throw something out there" because I thought it might sell. I have a high standard and first and foremost it has to make it past my high bar. Then it goes to Robin, who is "might" be even more protective than I am. If it makes it through the gauntlet she would impose - it should be something you'll be glad to read.

But...I appreciate your thoughts along that line - it shows you care about the books.

message 20: by Mattie (last edited Jun 15, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Mattie | 24 comments Where does the nickname "Dark Roomers" come from?? I rather like it...

message 21: by Michael (new)

The Room at the Rose and Thorn where Riyria has their "meetings" is referred to as "The Dark Room" so Dark Roomers are anyone who is allowed to hang out there.

message 22: by Mattie (new)

Mattie | 24 comments Aahhh, I remember that. Well, it's a very cool nickname!

message 23: by Michael (new)

I got an email once from someone that declared themselves a "Sullifan" - Stuff like that never ceases to amaze me.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethwu) | 1 comments HUGE HUGE FAN OF MICHEAL SULLIVAN !! Just bought the new short story Green something, I'm at work but got a email notification from Goodreads about it so had to buy it STAT from Amazon.

Need more book from Mr. Sullivan please !!!!!

message 25: by Michael (new)

I hope to have an announcement about "more books" soon.

message 26: by Jax (new)

Jax Well, I seem to be rather late to the series, as I've just finished Avempartha and am about 3/4's of the way through Nyphron Rising - I'm REALLY glad I found and managed to get the books!!!
They are Fantastic!
And at the rate I'm going through them, the idea that there is the possibility of more makes me VERY Happy!

I adore Royce and Hadrian, and Arista is definitely Growing on me!!
Thrace also won me over pretty damn easily! LOL
Though, I will admit that I was Very Upset (view spoiler)

Thanks for giving me such wonderful characters to fall in love with!! :D

message 27: by Michael (new)

Thanks Jax. Yeah a lot of Arista's growth happens in Nyphron Rising. It's a book where the women start getting their attention. I really look at the series as havning 4 protags: Royce, Hadrian, Arista, Thrace/Modina.

As to the spoiler thing - yeah...a lot of people feel the same way. But there are reasons for it and I never do it without good cause.

message 28: by Gilda (new)

Gilda | 2 comments Hi Michael! I love your books! I have read the Riyria Chronicles and just finished reading "The Crown Tower "! Now I am looking for the Riyria Revelations series which is not available in the library and when I look at Barnes and Noble, they don't have it in the store. I hope you can help me with this.

message 29: by Michael (last edited Aug 15, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

Hey Gilda, just to make sure we are on the same page..these are the books (I know it can be confusing because the names are similar):

The Riyria Revelations: Released Nov 2011 - Jan 2012
* Theft of Swrords (contains The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha)
* Rise of Empire (contains Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm)
* Heir of Novron (contains Wintertide & Percepliquis)

The Riyria Chronicles: Released Aug 2013 - Sep 2013)
* The Crown Tower (just came out a week ago)
* The Rose and the Thorn (releasing in about a month)

Because Revelations came out over a year ago, it is quite possible that your B&N no longer stocks them. You have several choices.

1. Ask them to order you copies - they will be more than happy to do so.

2. Buy them off my website (and you can get them signed and dedicated

3. Buy them from the online version of B&N - They'll ship right to your house.

4. Buy them from other online stores (Amazon, Book Depository etc).

As for you library...there is usually a place on your librariy's website where you can request books. Generally you need to have you library card ID - as they only want to order books from "real patrons" and not any old visitor to the site. When asking them to order the book - you might want to mention that Theft of Swords was selected by Library Journal as one of the Best Fantasies of 2011. This type of validation usually lets them know that it is a "book worth ordering."

I hope some of that helps.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael wrote: "I was diappointed to NOT find The Crown Tower at my B&N. I bought my three Riyria Revelations books there and I wanted to buy Crown Tower there."

Hey Michael...please take a moment to go to the Customer service station and ask them - it is probably that they are stocked in the wrong spot of the store (presently they should be in the "New Releases" of the science fiction section. I was at a B&N the other day and didn't find them but their computer found the store records showed 5 stocked. We looked all over and eventually found them in Mystery and Thrillers - no idea why they were there.

If they look on the computer and it show that they aren't stocking them - then tell them they should! Usually if a patron mentions a book they'll place an order. Again, even if they won't stock it - they will probably offer to order it for you and have it shipped directly to your house.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Sorry to hear that you guys are finding problems getting the old and the new books. This is part of the current problem with brick and mortar stores. They just don't have the shelf space so can't carry all the books - I usually had pretty wide stocking...but more and more it's getting harder and harder to find the books carried broadly - in any case if you ask - it generally helps.

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott Stephens (scottstephens79) | 1 comments Hello Michael. I just burned through the Riyria Revelations- thank you for not giving up on writing! I just finished Heir of Novron and my only lingering questions is, how did the one of the two silver medallions end up in the family of Degan Gaunt? Was it pure random chance? Or did Esra somehow plant the seed before his imprisonment?

message 33: by Michael (new)

@Scott - Degan's mom was the (view spoiler).

message 34: by Michael (new)

Doh! Bookstore stocking can be so hit and miss. In some ways it may be a good sign as they are selling out. A recent check showed that 98% of the B&N were stocking them.

message 35: by Michael (new)

That's great!! Happy reading!

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimagine) | 3 comments Question: how long after the publication of the books do do you decide whether or not you'll also publish on audio? Tim Gerard Reynolds does a fantastic job! I'd love to find them released simultaneously on audio and in traditional format.

message 37: by Michael (new)

Hey Kim. Really late to answer this question...Sorry about that.

Hey Kim, thanks for asking. There is a difference between "then" and "now." Let's start with "then."

When I signed my first contract the publisher bought the the rights to the print, ebook, and audio. I wanted to "keep" the audio rights...primarily because I thought there was a real possibility of the publisher "sitting" on them, because producing audio can be expensive. Once those rights are signed over there is no "decisions" regarding them from my part. The publisher decides if, when, and with whom the rights are exercised.

Recorded Books approached Orbit not long after the books came out, and they bought the rights. They chose Tim Gerard Reynolds (thank goodness), and they put them out as soon as they could.

For the second contract...again Orbit bought the rights. They were planning on moving the audio from Recorded Books to their own in-house company. Again, I wasn't able to "hold back" the rights...but I did get the concession that they wouldn't take over the production - that it would once more be sold to Recorded Books and Tim would do the recording. That actually cost me money...as I would receive a straight royalty from the in-house production, but because it was sold as a subsidiary right (again), I had to split any money earned 50/50 with the publisher.

Since I hadn't been able to "shake loose" the audio rights on the first two contracts, I did something a bit unusual for my my "next works." For The First Empire series, I sold the rights directly to Recorded Books...even before they were written. This way the rights would "already be sold" by the time the publisher for the print/ebooks was decided so they would be "off the table" to start with. I actually had three different companies vying for these rights. I told each one that "having Tim" do the recording was a requirement right from the get go - and they all agreed.

I ended up going with Recorded Books for three reasons. (1) They had always treated me well and I liked them as a company and (2) They have a huge library presence, but only a few books get into that program. They committed to me The First Empire books would be in that program and that would mean a lot more exposure (and more money). (3) They generously offered to give Tim a bonus equal to his regular pay, so he would earn twice as much as he normally would. It was this last point, more than anything else that pushed me over the top...in general, the "narrators" get the smallest piece of the overall pie so increasing his by twice as much was much appreciated by me, and proved that Recorded Books was the right company to go with. As far as timing....Recorded Books will get the final manuscript at the same time the books go to print, so barring some disaster, they will come out simultaneously with the print/ebook.

For the next book in the Riyria Chronicles...again I had several publishers vying...and again having Tim do the narration was a requirement. I actually decided to go with Audible.com. I did this for a few reasons. (1) For diversity sake it was good not to have all my eggs in Recorded Books basket (even though I love them) (2) they offered me an AMAZING advance for a single book (3) They do A LOT of marketing for authors they do the publishing for, and I felt that having a book with them would raise the sales for all the other books. Like The First Empire series, that audio will come out simultaneously - or even before, the print/ebook. They have a really cool "audio first" program where they will provide additional marketing when the book is exclusive with them. We'll see how that plays out once I get the book written.

message 38: by Zareepa (new)

Zareepa (zareepaz) | 1 comments Hello Michael! :D I am so so glad I found these books and I'm looking forward to getting the signed copies! :D Thank you so much for writing such an amazing series.