Writing Help-Group For Everyone discussion

WRITING INFLUENCES. > Names Issues.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (EmberBlue) | 58 comments I know I'm not the only one who has trouble coming up with names for anything in a story-characters, places, creatures,etc. Here's what I want to do: I would like to hear your experiences with finding names for your characters, creature, etc.

message 2: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Phoebe (TheNeverOnlineChick) | 3313 comments Mod
What an interesting topic to reply to! :D

Hmmm. My method of finding names is: make another name out of a name that you know/like.
Eg: If the name was "Kasay", you could change it to "Sakay". Or possibly "Kaysa". Just mixing up the letters in a name, basically! ;)

As for the rest? Hmmm.. Get back to you on that one!

Anyone else?

message 3: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Julius (bookseeker007) | 1781 comments Mod
Phoebe wrote: "What an interesting topic to reply to! :D

Hmmm. My method of finding names is: make another name out of a name that you know/like.
Eg: If the name was "Kasay", you could change it to "Sakay". Or ..."

That's a method I use too, Pheeb. Look in a book or in someplace with a lot of names, and simply mix them up and add your own little touches to them. I've set down and just thought up names too, but that's sometimes quite racking.

message 4: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Indeed. Plus, I'm glad I ain't the only one that uses that method!

T. H. De Siqueira | 47 comments Well I really think it depends. I also use the mixing method, but I'm really into symbolism. So I like to do a lot of research into mythology and any other form of story type tales that are out there. I kinda got the idea from J.K. Rowling and how she named some of her characters from the constellations. So I use that with pretty much anything, the Bible, Greek mythology, things in real life. I found it's much more helpful than just coming up with random names out of the blue, you know?

message 6: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

True, having a name that is not completely random gives your characters name more of a meaning, but making names up is part of the fun of it.
Or, as my other method is, just use the daily names of the objects around you to find one. But this method is of little use.. :)

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (EmberBlue) | 58 comments How many of you guys think that using Latin words makes everything sounds better because I been hearing that? What are your thoughts?

message 8: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Depends on the type of story, really. Latin to me sounds sounds almost alien (as in extra-terrestrial type) like in form. If you were writing a dystopian or a story set in the future or something of the sort, Latin I'd say would work very well.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (EmberBlue) | 58 comments What would work for present base novel-in your opinion??

message 10: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Julius wrote: "Depends on the type of story, really. Latin to me sounds sounds almost alien (as in extra-terrestrial type) like in form. If you were writing a dystopian or a story set in the future or something o..."

"Sounds", not "sounds sounds".*

message 11: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (last edited Sep 21, 2012 10:06PM) (new)

Iesha wrote: "What would work for present base novel-in your opinion??"

Present base, you say? Well gee, that isn't hard. Melvin, Joseph, James, Raul, Gregg, Tim, Polly, Wilfred, Roger, Sarah, Melanie, Wilson, Elizabeth, Julius, Phoebe. I could go on for an eternity. But it all depends on the character. What he/she is like.

Unless there is something I'm missing in what it is you are saying?

message 12: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Phoebe wrote: "Julius wrote: "Depends on the type of story, really. Latin to me sounds sounds almost alien (as in extra-terrestrial type) like in form. If you were writing a dystopian or a story set in the future..."

Hmph. Caught me at last. I'll have to watch myself.

message 13: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Julius wrote: "Phoebe wrote: "Julius wrote: "Depends on the type of story, really. Latin to me sounds sounds almost alien (as in extra-terrestrial type) like in form. If you were writing a dystopian or a story se..."

*raises eyebrows at your sarcasm*

message 14: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

*Quietly munches on a peach while wondering who in the world told Phoebe the words were sarcastic*

message 15: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (last edited Sep 21, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

*mind-reads Julius* You gave the impression of sarcasm....
Nicely done. *whacks you on the back while you're eating the peach so hard you choke*

T. H. De Siqueira | 47 comments Well I meant along the lines of, I'll use the mythology or what not to help come up with a name, you know, like giving it a base? Sometimes I'll take names from mythology, but most of the time it'll give me an idea for a name. But I pretty much use every and all methods to come up with character names, including just making random names up :)

message 17: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

I know.
Random names are fun to make up, don't you think? But you have many good ideas as to name-making, I assume! :D

What is the randomness name you came up with?

message 18: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Randomest*

Pah. I really don't like autocorrect right now! :O

T. H. De Siqueira | 47 comments Probably Aggia or Nakk.... I like using double letters.. :D
Whats yours?

message 20: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Vokikisock xD

It WAS the randomest name I have ever come up with. But I'm trying to out-randomnize it! :D
Nakk? That's a cool name! ^_^

The other, too.

message 21: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments I usualy make up the names or write down the first one that comes to mind...only on ocasion do I look one up.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (EmberBlue) | 58 comments You randomly come up with names?

message 23: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments yup. Its weird but it works. I have actualy been recognized for creativity.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (EmberBlue) | 58 comments Congratz-so how do you do it?

message 25: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments IDk.I just do.

message 26: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments if it helps, sometimes I pick a random letter and continue from there. once I got lazy and took a simple word and turned it backwards...and got the name yappah.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 1380 comments Mod
for my story i originally made all my character's names the latin translation of the elemental power they controlled but that was really stupid so when i re-thought up the story (my story was EXTREMLY stupid when i first started it lightbulb photo: Musubi, Sekirei, Lightbulb SekireiLightBulb_zpsafe78541.gif you shall see... *stores new topic in brain while listening to daughter of evil*)

....what was i writeing about? -.-' oops

lol jks.. anyways

um.. so i took the first letter of most of the main characters and used it to creat their new names but i didn't like most of them so i changed.... except for Kyle's name... a little... you see his power is Air and in my old version of my story it was sky insetead of air (i made a mistake XD) and sky in latin is caelum or something like that so i took that and turned it into Kyle 'cause it sounds the same...
Mary changed to Bianca
Sophia turned to Seraphina (cause sophia isnt a very medival name)
Terra didn't change at first (Terra means earth) but then i changed it to tara but it isnt a medival name so i was debaitoing wether to change it to Gaia but i didn't really feel like it so i changed it to Thalia (About a week ago XD)

um..... teh rest of the names i usally use them if i like the sound of them like Luke and Winter
my rp characters used to be Jade, Julia and Toby with others being random with names i have no memory of....
then i added Luke and kicked Toby out and added Alex and Winter. I usally have perminant names with perminant yet slightly changeing persionalitys for all of my rps includeing my minor characters like Jason, Jace, Jasper and Gwidon.

for my story i still have to find decent names for the places cause at the mo their all latin translations so the river is called river river XD (only it latin andf english)

anyways i must recall m y idea cu

random time:

SERVANT OF EVIL :'( 3 REGRET MESSAGE :'( 3 RE-BIRTHDAY :'( 3 VOCALOID <3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LEN!~!!! (i loved len before i even knew where and who he was... all i had was his picture as a pic for Kyle)

servant of evil gif photo: Servant of Evil icon soe11.gif

servant of evil gif photo: Servant of evil gif~ tumblr_lt8h9pNAiU1r33l8wo1_500.gif

message 28: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments Just keep going...my teacher had the same problem until someone read his work and told him it was excellent.

message 29: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hill | 4 comments As a writer mainly of literary non-fiction these days, the names of my characters have already been determined by history. But for fiction writing I realised that finding the right name was essential to discovering the essence of a character.

One method I used was to keep a booklet called "Choosing a Name for your Baby". It contained the origin and meaning of over 1200 male and female names. Elizabeth means Oath of God; Justine, the Just;Hector, the steadfast, and so on.

When I was trying to find a name for a rough, tragic beachcomber as the protagonist for a story, I decided on the name "Bull" Morgan: the bull was a sacred animal to the sea god Poseidon, and Morgan is a Celtic name meaning "From the sea." And of course I thought the name also scanned well.

For a writer, I think, meaning is an important step towards understanding - in names as in every other aspect of our work.

message 30: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (UbiquitousBubba) I tend to choose names that amuse me. (How narcissistic is that?)

I created a character I named Cerebrus (based on the root for Cerebrum and a twist on the name of the 3 headed dog). The character was believed to be a genius, but was, in fact, an idiot.

I have an alien character known as The Krazhdj. It doesn't mean anything in particular. It just sounds unpronounceable as any self-respecting alien name would sound.

Some characters get names that refer to their unique characteristics. Some get names that are more of the opposite. When I want to have a person with an elite position, snobby attitude, or posh status, I give them an appropriately pretentious name.

Sometimes, the names are such an "in" joke, that no one gets it but me. My kids try to find other things to do when I start trying to explain it.

my most frequant evil character, Gwidon, was a name i came up with since i was looking for a bane fir my evil tyrant king of ilca but couldnt think of anything and i highly liked the name gwen i think.. amyways i played around we worlds like indid for the kingdoms name ilca and prevously ilcor.... and got gwidon... i like it a lot...name ur kids gwidon plz ^^

message 32: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (UbiquitousBubba) Gwidon Elvis Bubba. Gwidon Jud Bubba. Gwidon François Bubba.

I don't think they'll object.

message 33: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Ubiquitous wrote: "I tend to choose names that amuse me. (How narcissistic is that?)

I created a character I named Cerebrus (based on the root for Cerebrum and a twist on the name of the 3 headed dog). The chara..."

I like your alien name.

^^

oh yeah for my story im gonna put myself and my sister in it ^^ sice in reading i am number four and the auther made himself the elder i quiet liked that idea so im useing it in my book ^^

message 35: by Anthony (last edited May 10, 2013 03:13PM) (new)

Anthony Hill | 4 comments Charles Dickens used to find many of the names for his characters by looking up the local directories ... Mr Bumble, Wilkins Micawber, Veneering, Podsnapp, Peggotty, Sarah Gamp ... and hundreds more. What wonderful names they are, and so expressive of their characters.

message 36: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Ubiquitous wrote: "Gwidon Elvis Bubba. Gwidon Jud Bubba. Gwidon François Bubba.

I don't think they'll object."

Indeed.

message 37: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 wrote: "^^

oh yeah for my story im gonna put myself and my sister in it ^^ sice in reading i am number four and the auther made himself the elder i quiet liked that idea so im useing it in my book ^^"

That's a really interesting way of writing a book. So, basing the character's off of yourselves?

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) I did that with my some of the characters in my series as well. In my first book especially my character of DWW was based off of myself at the time. I actually have a blog post scheduled for December 20th that talks about three of my characters from the series, each of which began based off of myself and when and how they became their own characters. If anyone is interested this link will be: http://animalsandmagic.wordpress.com/...
Many of my animal characters are based directly off of animals I know in reality. My dog Taco has inspired me to create the most versions of himself. I gave all of these animals their own section on my website which can be found here if anyone wants to meet them: http://www.jenniferpriester.com/meett...

I think basing some characters off of yourself is a good way to write a book, after all you should know enough about yourself to create a realistic character and if you want to create a conflicting character to your original one or hero if they happen to be one you can easily write one based off the personality traits you don't like.
I find it easiest to write about characters based off of myself at first but then slowly change different personality traits until it feels right and the character is created. In this way I end up with characters of different personalities.

♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (Marilyngoodreadscom) | 337 comments Mod
Names just come to me depending on the era and type of book.Surnames too if needed.

♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (Marilyngoodreadscom) | 337 comments Mod
We're all lucky with something.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I occasionally use names of just people I've known.
Sometimes I just sit and wait for a random name to pop into my head, or I use one of my 325 nicknames.

PHO MISS YA

i come up with names that sound good and fit the character. then i look up the names.

everythingle name that i had assinged for my characters for my book fit the characters perfectly.
even before i knew what the anmes meant.

for example:
Alex means protector of man...sooo fits him!!

etc.

one character stands above all.

instead of being the description of him it was the contrast.

Luke WHite. Luke means light white means white.

Luke white is a dark black character ^^ GETTIT!?!?!?

message 45: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments I like Japanese names. :D
made up ones are cool too.
Soltana...holaski....Tosonda....Morabasa.
my made up names sound strange but come in handy when writing scifi. :D

message 46: by ♕ ❤ ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (last edited Oct 21, 2013 08:00AM) (new)

Are they made up Japanese names,or real?

message 47: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x. wrote: "Names just come to me depending on the era and type of book.Surnames too if needed."

That is a lucky talent.

message 48: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Ninja/Kassi/Aphrodite: Call me Joey. wrote: "I occasionally use names of just people I've known.
Sometimes I just sit and wait for a random name to pop into my head, or I use one of my 325 nicknames."

325 Nicknames??

message 49: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ~ away in ....lost track wrote: "PHO MISS YA"

Hey! What about me??!!

message 50: by ♕ ❤ ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (last edited Nov 27, 2013 09:32AM) (new)

I've got them joining in on a funny Christmas story on my group with funny pictures added.
It's about Santa's elves going on strike and we have to save xmas.
I Just named the shop steward elf Archibald Grumblespy.lol!
It's the tiny man from Austin Powers that I found an animated pic of.

« previous 1