Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Group Discussions > Your first experience with culture shock

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Sep 14, 2012 08:15PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments Care to share with the group your first experience in which you encountered a different cultural dynamic and how that affected you?

This is not just limited to different races and ethnicity. This could even include moving from a rural to a city environment, or vice versa.

Maybe you went to a woman's college and started working in a primarily male environment.

Is this always a bad thing to get outside of your comfort zone? What are some good things that came out of your culture shock?

message 2: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 688 comments Mod
One of the culture shocks I had was that I attended an all woman's college and it was a shock to me because I came from a high school that was co ed. When I actually stayed at the women's college for four years, I actually really enjoyed being around that environment as the students were friendly and I started learning so many new things that I wouldn't normally learn in a co ed school.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Sep 14, 2012 09:25PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments I'll list some of my most memorable culture shocks:

*When I moved to Texas from Illinois. The way of life and the pace is different in the South. The cultural norms are slightly different. My family is Southern about one generation back, so I am familiar with some of the values and the cuisine, but it was still different for me. Also the whole country music/lifestyle thing was quite different.

*Working in an environment that is 98% male. I have worked in places where there were sixty men and me and maybe one woman. It's very strange. I don't have anything against men. I like men, and I can work with them, but I had never been around solely men, so that was a strange feeling.

*Being in a place where Spanish is the majority language. This didn't bother me that much because I took Spanish in school and college, and I have always appreciated Latin culture.

*Going to a very conservative college. While my personal lifestyle values tend towards being more morally conservative, I was raised with liberal politics and also being of color, being in a place where the majority viewpoint is very conservative was a huge culture shock. It was nice to have friends that were more from the background I was used to. It insulated me somewhat. It was very hard though, when many of my friends graduated, and I ended up in a grad program that had even more of a conservative makeup.

*Moving to California from Texas: S. Cal is very fast-paced, and that lifestyle was a real shock to me coming from Texas. Things are more laidback and people are much friendlier in Texas than many I encountered in S. Cal.I remember being stressed out 98% of the time. I was glad to move back, honestly.

*Being one of two black people in a program of 123 students. It didn't bother me most of the time, but I did get the impression that I had to defend my right to be there. It made those four years a lot tougher on my psyche than undergrad where there was a lot more diverse makeup.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments I personally think getting exposed to different cultures is a good learning experience. You step outside of your own background and realize that the way you grew up isn't always the only way or the only right way. The world is a big place, and it's so much more interesting to have so many cultures and ethnicities.

message 5: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I personally think getting exposed to different cultures is a good learning experience. You step outside of your own background and realize that the way you grew up isn't always the only way or the..."

I definitely agree! That's why I would love to travel around the world someday, so that way, I would be exposed to how different cultures live their lives versus how I live my life in the U.S.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments Where would you go first, Ronyell?

message 7: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Where would you go first, Ronyell?"

I wanted to either go to France or to Japan since both cultures interest me. Then later on, I would try to go to Jamaica, Russia, Australia, China, Germany, Spain and just so many other countries!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments I believe you'll get a chance to visit them all someday.

message 9: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I believe you'll get a chance to visit them all someday."

Thanks! What countries do you want to visit?

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments The UK (Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland), Canada Russia, Japan, China, Italy, France, Antarctica, Israel (Holy Land), Greece, Africa, New Zealand, Australia, off the top of the head.

message 11: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "The UK (Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland), Canada Russia, Japan, China, Italy, France, Antarctica, Israel (Holy Land), Greece, Africa, New Zealand, Australia, off the top of the head."

That's awesome!!! There's just so many interesting countries to visit so hopefully, you'll be able to visit them too!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments Haven't stepped a foot out of the US. Maybe someday!

message 13: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Haven't stepped a foot out of the US. Maybe someday!"

Yep!

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Moving from Germany to Canada when I was ten!!

message 15: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Gundula wrote: "Moving from Germany to Canada when I was ten!!"

Was was that like?

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Ronyell wrote: "Gundula wrote: "Moving from Germany to Canada when I was ten!!"

Was was that like?"

The main problem was being called "Nazi" all the time by ignorant children (and one of the girls in my class told me that her parents would not allow her to play with me). Interestingly enough, almost all of the nasty comments came from WASPS (White Anglo Saxon Protestants), I actually never had any problems with schoolmates who were Jewish.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Moving to Sierra Leone in 1990 was a culture shock. I had some expectations, but I didn't expect the nastiness of the other wives in the camp. I would have appreciated some sort of cultural introduction into what the Sierra Leonens expected of me as well. It was certainly interesting to experience the tribal issues and the problems that the children had to deal with!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 101 comments That's terrible that this happened to you, Gundula and Kathy. I hate that humans are capable of treating each other that way.

message 19: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "That's terrible that this happened to you, Gundula and Kathy. I hate that humans are capable of treating each other that way."

I agree. I often want to know why human beings can't treat each other in a more cooperate way?

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (oyastorm77) Arkansas to Michigan. I moved to MI as a teen to live with my Dad and never adjusted. People were very rude. They looked at you crazy when you said hello. They push you out of the way and don't say excuse me.

message 21: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Arkansas to Michigan. I moved to MI as a teen to live with my Dad and never adjusted. People were very rude. They looked at you crazy when you said hello. They push you out of the way and don't say..."

Man, I hate it when that happens! I just don't understand why some people can be so rude for no reason!

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (oyastorm77) I didn't get it, either. Ohio was the same way.