The Humour Club discussion

Debate Club > DEBATE - BEER vs WINE

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments Beer or Wine...which one is better and why?

message 2: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments I'll start by take up the side of Wine.

There is a sophisticated sounding job title for the person who pours your wine at a restaurant...sommelier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommelier

They even need a certificate. One of the nearby colleges offers courses http://www.sommelier.ca/

Not to sound too elitist, but, to pour beer does one need an education?

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments What about real ales, bitters and stouts? I'm an advocate for them but can't stand beers which to me taste chemical and horrible. Real ales etc are made more traditionally without chemicals (hence less chance of a hangover) and do require a bit of care when pouring otherwise you'll get a glass full of sediment.

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3518 comments Mod
Beer. Dark, with some sediment on the bottom - like my soul.

message 5: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um, juchhe! Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um! Soll das Bier im Keller liegen Und ich hier die Ohnmacht kriegen? Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um!

And, for those of you Teutonically Disadvantaged:

Beer here, Beer here, or I will fall down, woohoo! Beer here, Beer here, or I will fall down! Should the beer lie in the cellar, And I'm here about to faint? Beer here, Beer here, or I will fall down!

message 6: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments Wine is made from grapes. Grapes are fruit. Fruit is healthy. Therefore, wine is healthy.

Beer is made from a wheat or hops or something like that...ie CARB. "Carbs" are the worst thing ever according to most nutrition gurus. They make you get diabetes and have to go on that Atkins diet where all you can eat is bacon!

message 7: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments Then again, if you are careful to exercise, get plenty of rest, and eat a healthy diet, someday you will be lying in a hospital bed dying of nothing. Except that the overindulger in wine is every bit as likely to succumb to cirrosis as the overindulger in beer.

message 8: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments In the following situation WINE is better.

Situation: The lid of your wine/beer is stuck. You only have your mouth available at the moment (we won't get into the whys...just go with it) to open drink.

Wine - use your teeth to grab the cork. Chew, twist, gnaw, and eventually you will be drinking wine.

Beer - use your teeth to grab the cap. Chew, twist, gnaw, and eventually end up in the hospital for mutiple stitches on your lips and the dentist for some new teeth.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2422 comments Mod
I'll drop them both in a second for chocolate.

message 10: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments I bow to your unassailable logic, Sir Bookworm. Shall I pour the Claret? As for you, Rebecca, remember that Chocolate is The Answer; and the question is utterly immaterial.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2422 comments Mod
Plus,I think that if you combine chocolate with red wine, you'll live forever.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Bookworm wrote: "In the following situation WINE is better.

Situation: The lid of your wine/beer is stuck. You only have your mouth available at the moment (we won't get into the whys...just go with it) to open dr..."

Must be honest I can't think of a single occasion where the 'lid' of my beer/ale/stout has gotten stuck...however I can think of many an occasion when the damn cork has gotten jammed or snapped off in the top of my wine bottle!!!

message 13: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments Sam, very true, often times corks do get jammed or broken in half. Luckily one can use a screw to either push it in, or pull it out. In this situation, screwing a wine bottle sounds enjoyable (at least to some). Correct?

Beer, on the other hand, if the cap is stuck one must break the neck in order to drink...correct?
Breaking a neck sounds very like you'll be spending some time in jail.

message 14: by Melki (new)

Wiki defines "cork taint" as a wine fault characterized by a set of undesirable smells or tastes found in a bottle of wine, especially spoilage that can only be detected after bottling, aging and opening.
I'd hate to spend hours opening a bottle of wine with a screw or my teeth only to find it's "corked."

I've never heard of "corked" beer. Therefore, beer is the clear winner.

message 15: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments Considering my daughter's favorite wine, um whine, "I wanna go shahahahping...", beer again gets the edge.

message 16: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments I avoid corked wine by sticking with the boxed wine. They usually come in a big box, much more appropriate for groups, or an all you can drink resort. I guess it would be the equivalent to a keg of beer?

Speaking of spoiling...

I would also argue in favour of wine for those romantic situations. Crackin' open a can of Coors Light for you wife (even if you put it in a nice glass) seems to spoil the mood.

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Parise | 44 comments I'm still debating...beer belly or wino.. hmm

message 18: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments Whichever you choose, remember the words of Lazarus Long, "Everything in excess. To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Bookworm wrote: "screwing a wine bottle sounds enjoyable"

I've got to be honest Bookworm, that all sounds rather risque to me! ;-)

And breaking a neck sounds much more fun and far more therapeutic after a hard day in the office!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments John wrote: "Whichever you choose, remember the words of Lazarus Long, "Everything in excess. To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.""

Hahahaha, that's brilliant John! I think I've found my new favourite saying!

message 21: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments Sam wrote: "Hahahaha, that's brilliant J..."

I can take no credit whatsoever, other than having the good sense to read everything that Robert Heinlein ever wrote. If ever there was a deity, it was he.

My favorite: "Starship Troopers"

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments I've got Starship Troopers on my (somewhat over-sized) to read pile and I will get to it eventually maybe even in this lifetime too ;-)

message 23: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments Shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours -- if you take your time.

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments John wrote: "Shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours -- if you take your time."

Right I'm bunking that up my to-read pile then!

message 25: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments Good good Sam, but what I really want to hear is what you will be drinking with Starship Troopers - wine or beer?

That could be the deciding argument in this debate...what goes better with Starship Troopers?

message 26: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 309 comments MEAD!

message 27: by Justine (new)

Justine Monikue (justinemonikue) I don't like the taste of beer, so it's wine for me!

message 28: by Melki (new)

When will we be starting the white vs. red debate?

message 29: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments Melki wrote: "When will we be starting the white vs. red debate?"

Ah, another good point. Wine has some colour - I believe Martha Stewart has a paint colour named Wine.

Beer is brown. Like dirt on the bottom of my shoe. Martha does not have a paint colour named Beer, or Mead, or Ale, or Bitters.

message 30: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 309 comments MEAD!!!

Its golden.

message 31: by John (new)

John (noel_efturn) | 110 comments How is it that Martha Stewart's decision to assign the name of a thing to a color has any impact on the cachet of that thing? Other people assign the names of things to colors -- why aren't their choices as authoritative as Martha's?

For example, a nice bottle of Amber Bock makes me think of an amber-colored dawn, which makes me think of a former girlfriend named Dawn. I remember waking up at the crack of Dawn on several occasions.

I know, kind of a long set-up on that gag, but still funny, I think.

message 32: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 309 comments :D

I change my answer, Black Mountain, its an orgy in your mouth. Beautiful stuff.

message 33: by Steven (new)

Steven Scaffardi (goodreadscomsteven_scaffardi) | 12 comments Beer! For the simple fact that wine hangovers are just too unbearable to even think about! And remember those mornings when you woke up regretting sending THAT text? That was the wines fault!!