The Outsiders The Outsiders discussion

Do you think the movie is better or the book? Why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Malika I believe the book is better than the movie.

Robin I think I saw the movie then read the book. I think the book is better.

Marissa who is boss! Book all the way

Claudia the Night Owl There's a movie? I shall watch it!

Marissa who is boss! ya there is a movie not good acting but amazing cast there is also the extended adition that has all parts of the book instead of the original which is missing many parts from the book.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Does it even need to be questioned? The book, of course, the book.

Theo The book is way better. The movie is okay, but it's missing some key elements from the book. Also, I expected much more from the cast.

Jamie Lych I think I ragequit after the first ten minutes because they got Ponyboy's appearance wrong. Granted, this was half a decade ago. It was very hard to get me to watch a film. I should probably buy it and give it a second chance.

Marissa who is boss! they also got dallys apperance wrong that got me pissed

Stacey Matson The book is awesome. The movie is so-so.

Mimi ❤ The book will always capture more truer emotions. The movie was alright

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The book is better. The movie didn't capture there relationships well.

Samantha Glasser The book is a million times better. I enjoy the movie but it is only a shadow of the book. They don't have enough time to develop all of the characters, like Two-Bit and Sodapop. The extended version is better but it still doesn't measure up.

Marissa who is boss! Samantha wrote: "The book is a million times better. I enjoy the movie but it is only a shadow of the book. They don't have enough time to develop all of the characters, like Two-Bit and Sodapop. The extended versi..."

i agree the movie will only live in the shadows

Barbara guess I'm the odd one out in that I love the movie. I know it's not going to to capture everything in the book and I'm able to look past the character's appearances discrepancies.

having said that...I love the book more than I love the movie

message 16: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. The book is better than the movie. I can't believe they showed the ending of the book in the beginning of the movie>:[

message 17: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. I mean I liked the movie don't get me wrong but the book was better

Jazzi I liked them pretty equally.
But I love reading more so I guess that's why I like the book more.

Robin I guess I need to re-read the book.

message 20: by S.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.E. Saxton I loved the book. The movie was good as well but like you guys said it was missing sever key points. I think they need to remake the movie again. They can do a really good job now.

Aimee Anderson Like most of you I like the book best too, but they did a pretty good job of casting the movie. Can't beat Patrick Swayze and Ralph Macchio.

Cecilia I think the book is the best

Sparrowlicious I saw the movie in middle school and can't remember mcuh about it. I only read recently that they left some stuff out in the movie.
Well, a movie can never convey the words the author chose in their book. So the book all the way.
Stay gold, everyone.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The book and the movie was great all together:)

message 25: by Monty J (last edited Jan 06, 2013 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying The book was better than the film.

There was some good acting in places, but the entire film felt rushed and actors were allowed to mumble and step on each other's lines. It was as if they knew they had a great cast of "hunky" boys that would appeal to the young female audience and nothing else mattered. I'm sure Hinton was disappointed.

Update: Okay, I watched the film again, AND the special features with commentary by Coppola. It WAS the full version, the director's cut that I had watched the first time.

My opinion remains firmly that the film doesn't do the book justice. The music, except for the theme song, Stay Gold, by Stevie Wonder, was distracting in more than one place.

The entire film feels rushed. Maybe there was a tight budget. Both dialog and plot follow the book too closely. Great casting, but they were like a bunch of wild horses.

(If you want to see a terrific film about high-schoolers watch Lucas' classic, American Grafitti. What a masterpiece. Or Rebel Without a Cause.)

But, if you've read The Outsiders, you still HAVE to see the film to fully appreciate the book. They go hand-in-hand.

Further update: I've been watching Coppola's commentary, and I think maybe I figured out what might be wrong with the film. It was shot in wide-screen format because of the ensemble cast. The trouble with that is it scrimps on close-ups. To dramatize emotion you need a close-up at just the right moment. The geometry of a face doesn't allow close-ups in wide-screen. (I think the book suffers from a similar deficiency. Hinton throws too many characters into to some scenes.)

Brooke The book is, as always, better and my all time favourite, but I also loved the movie and found it true to the book despite poor character representation, but you have to watch the extended version or else you're basically missing out on the entire movie and misjudging it. The cut version excludes the court scene, Ponyboy getting jumped and the entire part afterwards, Two-Bit's encounter with Johnny's mother, several Windrixville scenes, and when Ponyboy returns to school where he is ignored by Cherry and given his assignment, all of which were included in the full film. Either way, I loved the actors chosen for the film and, no matter how much I would've loved to see a blond Dally, Matt Dillon captured his personality perfectly. What really got to me was Tim Shepard; HE was terribly portrayed. Nonetheless, looking at the FINISHED product, Francis Ford Coppola did a fantastic job.

Mochaspresso The movie was excellent, but I probably only think this way because I saw the movie before reading the book. Reflecting back on the time, the focus was definitely more on the cast that they assembled rather than the actual story. I didn't even know that the movie had been based on a book until a few years later when I got to HS and it was on the suggested reading list.

message 28: by Monty J (last edited Dec 24, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying Brooke wrote: "The book is, as always, better and my all time favourite, but I also loved the movie and found it true to the book despite poor character representation, but you have to watch the extended version ..."

Thanks for recommending the director's cut. I just discovered its existence and have ordered it. Researching, I found that the 22 minutes cut by the studio were restored by Coppola for his granddaughter's class. Having first viewed the original cut, I could hardly believe it was Coppola film.

It makes me wonder whether the studio people who did the cutting had read the book.

Quote from ImDb: "...Coppola's granddaughter was reading the book in class, and was about to watch the film with her fellow schoolmates. Feeling embarrassed, Coppola cobbled together what would eventually become his Director's Cut."

Brooke Monty J wrote: "Brooke wrote: "The book is, as always, better and my all time favourite, but I also loved the movie and found it true to the book despite poor character representation, but you have to watch the ex..."

There is a significant difference; I was extremely disappointed when I rented the DVD after watching the full film on TV and then eventually bought the movie thinking the VHS tape couldn't possibly be cut and was disappointed once again.

However, I will warn you that in the director's cut they've added this atrocious music that is a real let down and almost muffles everything else, but the movie itself will be a breath of relief after watching the original product. It's not terrible, as everyone's convinced.

brianna meyers. I saw the movie on Friday at school and I loved it but I like the book better but I love dally!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

The book is way better than the movie. For those who love the movie, I am sorry to say but I think the movie did the book no justice. The movie missed the important details that was in the book.

message 32: by Brooke (last edited Dec 25, 2012 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooke Ariel wrote: "The book is way better than the movie. For those who love the movie, I am sorry to say but I think the movie did the book no justice. The movie missed the important details that was in the book."

Did you watch the cut version? It left out a great deal of what was in the finished film, as I pointed out earlier.

Of course, if you did, people have different preferences. I thought the movie was perfect but a lot people probably think they could have done better. It depends on the person and how they pictured the book. But judgments should be saved for the director's cut.

Bianca Breiding The book is defiently way better. That`s how it`s always like tho. The movie was good tho :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The actors were fine but if more details were added then the movie would have been good.

message 35: by Sarah (last edited Jan 10, 2013 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah I read the book, then watched the movie. I liked the book WAY better.

Julia The book is better, haven't watched the movie in a long while though lol. Just reread the book a few weeks atom then bought the movie, still have to find the time to watch it (maybe tomorrow!).

Bohemian I prefer the book, solely due to the fact that tom cruise is in the movie.

Monty J Heying Bohemian wrote: "I prefer the book, solely due to the fact that tom cruise is in the movie."

Cruise was obnoxious in the movie. (He can be a bit hard to take, but his intensity worked in A Few Good Men and Top gun.)

Bohemian Monty J wrote: "Cruise was obnoxious in the movie. (He can be a bit hard to take, but his intensity worked in A Few Goo..."

I don't watch any of his movies if I can help it. I think Top Gun and possibly The Outsiders are the two movies I have that he is in.

message 40: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob I usually prefer books to their movie adaptations. Usually the actors don't match with my imagination, but in the case of The Outsiders the actors were cast perfectly- especially Ralph Macchio, Matt Dillon, Emilio Estevez and even Tom Cruise!

message 41: by lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

lora baccus Books...always book is better than movie. Only one exception for me..I hope The Host movie is better than the book.

I get extremely annoyed with differences between book to movie.

Kristine the book was way better it had so many more details and you could really picture the settings

Kayla K I read the book first and then I watched the movie. In the movie I saw it seemed like the lines were exactly the same as from the book. So its kind of a tie for me.

Camryn The book is much better. The movie doesn't capture the same emotions that the book describes. The book captures all audiences and the movie is just mediocre. In my opinion the movies barely compares.

message 45: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Theo wrote: "The book is way better. The movie is okay, but it's missing some key elements from the book. Also, I expected much more from the cast."

yes!! Not only Ponyboys appearance they didn't get his mind in it either. They didn't show how close Ponyboy and Sodapop were either. Or how much Ponyboy and Darry argued.

message 46: by Elijah (new)

Elijah the book was definitely better. I didn't expect the movie to be as bad as it was. I disappointed when I saw it. They should really make a remake

Micah the book is better because its more detail and it describes all the charchters as what they are and what they do and movie doesnt but the movie was ok with me i guess

message 48: by Magdala (last edited Apr 11, 2013 11:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Magdala THE BOOK:because i feel more connected to it,playing it in my head, n getting a different visual I thnk that it's more emotional, eit great acting whn it's in ur head, and feels more real and more intimate

message 49: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Russell The book is more real to me but I loved the movie too come on it has Patrick Swizzlehips in!

Micah Book because it breaks things down better then the movie. And it describes the characters perfectly.

« previous 1