Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Family Corner > Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti (Casserole)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:03PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti (Casserole)

Sounds disgusting, but it's one of the best casseroles I've ever had!

Ingredients

• 2 cups Cooked Chicken (We used 4 chicken breasts)
• 3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
• 2 cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
• 2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (We added an extra cup of cheese to the mix)
• ¼ cups Finely Diced Green Pepper
• ¼ cups Finely Diced Onion
• 1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
• 2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot
• 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
• ⅛ teaspoons (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
• Salt And Pepper, to taste
• 1 cup Additional Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.

Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).

If you want to see the video and images of the cooking process, here it is:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/20...

message 2: by 1001 Romances!, Really Pamela, Dhes, & Lisa Kay! (new)

1001 Romances! | 178 comments ♥The Pioneer Woman♥

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments 1001 Romances! wrote: "♥The Pioneer Woman♥"

I LOVE this recipe! I was just thinking... it's been awhile since we made it....

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Need help eating it? Call me!

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Need help eating it? Call me!"

You got it!

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Looks like a great recipe - and easy. Makes me wish I weren't vegan.

message 8: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Looks like a great recipe - and easy. Makes me wish I weren't vegan."

Can you make it a/out the chicken?

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... wrote: "Can you make it a/out the chicken?"

Too many things aren't vegan beside the chicken...Cream of Mushroom Soup, cheeses, chicken broth... I'd have to really figure out the substitutes. But, it could be done.

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Ok, I forgot about the cheese, chicken broth, etc.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I do like Cream of Mushroom Soup. I know it isn't "gourmet" - but I cooked with it a lot and miss it.

message 12: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments I bet there are a lot of great vegan recipes. You should post some of your favorites because even if someone doesn't want to make it a lifestyle, everyone likes to eat healthy and try new things.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I've posted a couple, Dhes. I actually have a thread over in another group, and I post photos of my results.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I do still watch Pioneer Woman almost every day, though. She is really good, as her recipes always turn out. And she knows the basics... cooking is like second-nature to her.

message 15: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I do still watch Pioneer Woman almost every day, though. She is really good, as her recipes always turn out. And she knows the basics... cooking is like second-nature to her."

Some people do have a knack. Have you ever tweaked her recipes to make them fit your veganness?

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Sep 17, 2014 07:40AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Yes, but I'm trying to think of what, right off hand. I do know I like her Dump Cake , as it has no eggs. But, since it makes so much, I have to make it for company. Also, I use peaches instead of canned cherries and pineapple.

I use Earth Balance instead of butter.

And Cool Whip instead of whipping cream for the topping.

message 17: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments I'll check out the dump cake recipe, for sure!

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Dhes, her Butternut Squash with Pine Nuts is really good.

Of course, I buy the cut up squash, or get my girl-friend's sweetie to do it; the strength in my shoulders are shot after my torn rotator cuffs.

Also, I use a vegan Picada Sauce (the old-fashioned kind you make with a piece of fried bread, garlic, roasted walnut or almonds - or both - and olive oil, parsley) instead of the Parmesan cheese, or make a vegan cheese as follows:
Vegan Almond Parmesan Cheez - makes about 3/4 cup

Ingredients
1/2 cup slivered almonds (the ones without the skins)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
A small amount of olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (to your taste)
Directions
1. Place ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it looks like a grain. Add a drizzle of olive oil and process more until the granules become very small. Add salt and other seasonings according to your taste preferences.
Both look like this, pretty much:

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I need to make that, LK!

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Let me know how you like it, Pamela, if you do.

message 21: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Thanks! I'll give this to my daughter to make for us!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments There are many different brands of nutritional yeast; you have to find the one you like.

message 23: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Let me know how you like it, Pamela, if you do."

will do

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 397 comments Is Pioneer Woman a cook on the TV?

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 397 comments I am not a Mormon, but some of my ancestors were. They were English, but living in Wales, and two sisters and one brother emigrated to the US. They evidently pushed their belongings on hand carts across the plains to Utah.
My father used to correspond with their descendants in the 1960's and they would send him photos etc., but now I don't have any information on them.

message 26: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Carol wrote: "Is Pioneer Woman a cook on the TV?"

Yes, she is a "city" girl who married a rancher and has a show where she cooks for her family.

message 27: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Carol wrote: "I am not a Mormon, but some of my ancestors were. They were English, but living in Wales, and two sisters and one brother emigrated to the US. They evidently pushed their belongings on hand carts a..."

That's interesting!

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 397 comments Yes, I find it interesting. I have traced two of the original ones and discovered where they died. One was near Los Angeles and the other in Utah. I presume they pushed handcarts because they were too poor to have a wagon. Either that or perhaps there was a train station not too far away, and so they could walk. I gather that a lot of people in England converted and there was some sort of mass immigration there in the 19th century.
As a child we were often visited by Mormon missionaries hoping to convert us. Don't really know much about it all. I think it must have been very sad in those days when people emigrated. They would probably never have seen the rest of the family again. Parents would never have seen their children or grandchildren. Feel very conscious of all this as son lives in the US, and am permanently grateful for phones and Skype, so that we can always be in touch.

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments That's true. No planes or skype.

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments I finally made the spaghetti casserole and it was yum! It will probably become a once-in-a-while need-to-pre-cook-a-meal dish. Freezes well, too. And uses up my leftover chicken.

message 31: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Abigail wrote: "I finally made the spaghetti casserole and it was yum! It will probably become a once-in-a-while need-to-pre-cook-a-meal dish. Freezes well, too. And uses up my leftover chicken."

Amen to all that! We love it! I'm so glad you do, too!

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Neat, Abigail.