Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Summer Festivals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am WAY too old to go to this type of thing, but the Coachella lineup is out...here's the listing...

FRIDAY, APRIL 17: Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, Leonard Cohen, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, Beirut, The Black Keys, Girl Talk, Silversun Pickups, The Ting Tings, The Crystal Method, Ghostland Observatory, Crystal Castles, The Airborne Toxic Event, We Are Scientists, N.A.S.A., Patton & Rahzel, M. Ward, The Presets, The Hold Steady, A Place to Bury Strangers, Felix da Housecat, Buraka Som Sistema, Ryan Bingham, Bajofondo, Peanut Butter Wolf, Noah & the Whale, White Lies, The Bug, Alberta Cross, Los Campesinos!, Craze & Klever, Molotov, Switch, Gui Boratto, Steve Aoki, The Aggrolites, People Under the Stairs, The Courteeners, Cage the Elephant, Dear and the Headlights.

SATURDAY, APRIL 18: The Killers, Amy Winehouse, Thievery Corporation, TV on the Radio, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, MSTRKRFT, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Atmosphere, Mastodon, TRAV$DJ-AM, Henry Rollins, Crookers, Turbonegro, Hercules and Love Affair, Superchunk, Glasvegas, Dr. Dog, Drive-By Truckers, Booker T & the DBT’s, Amanda Palmer, The Bloody Beetroots, Surkin, Para One (Live), Calexico, Liars, Bob Mould Band, Zane Lowe, Electric Touch, Blitzen Trapper, James Morrison, Drop the Lime, Glass Candy, Thenewno2, Gang Gang Dance, Billy Talent, Ida Maria, Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, Zizek, Cloud Cult, Tinariwen.

SUNDAY, APRIL 19: The Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Throbbing Gristle, Lupe Fiasco, Paul Weller, Peter Bjorn and John, X, Antony & the Johnsons, Roni Size, Public Enemy, Jenny Lewis, Groove Armada, Paolo Nutini, Christopher Lawrence, Lykke Li, The Kills, Okkervil River, M.A.N.D.Y., Clipse, Sebastien Tellier, Fucked Up, Perry Farrell, The Horrors, Late of the Pier, K’naan, Junior Boys, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Supermayer, No Age, Vivian Girls, Shepard Fairey, Themselves, Gaslight Anthem, The Knux, Mexican Institute of Sound, The Night Marchers, Marshall Barnes.

Throbbing Gristle live? Might be interesting. Might be a train wreck of epic proportions.

I'm not a "summer festival" guy, but at least if the bills are getting set summer is coming...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That looks good, but Bonnaroo looks better to me:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Phish (2 Shows)
Beastie Boys
Nine Inch Nails
David Byrne
Wilco
Al Green
Snoop Dogg
Elvis Costello Solo
Erykah Badu
Paul Oakenfold
Ben Harper and Relentless7
The Mars Volta
TV on the Radio
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Gov't Mule
Andrew Bird
Band of Horses
Merle Haggard
MGMT
moe.
The Decemberists
Girl Talk
Bon Iver
Béla Fleck & Toumani Diabate
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Galactic
The Del McCoury Band
of Montreal
Allen Toussaint
Coheed and Cambria
Booker T & the DBTs
David Grisman Quintet
Lucinda Williams
Animal Collective
Gomez
Neko Case
Down
Jenny Lewis
Santogold
Robert Earl Keen
Citizen Cope
Femi Kuti and the Positive Force
The Ting Tings
Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Kaki King
Grizzly Bear
King Sunny Adé
Okkervil River
St. Vincent
Zac Brown Band
Raphael Saadiq
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Crystal Castles
Tift Merritt
Brett Dennen
Mike Farris and the Roseland Rhythm Revue
Toubab Krewe
People Under the Stairs
Alejandro Escovedo
Vieux Farka Touré
Elvis Perkins In Dearland
Cherryholmes
Yeasayer
Todd Snider
Chairlift
Portugal. The Man.
The SteelDrivers
Midnite
The Knux
The Low Anthem
Delta Spirit
A.A. Bondy
The Lovell Sisters
Alberta Cross

message 3: by Kirk (last edited Feb 05, 2009 05:16AM) (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I would actually like to experience Bonnaroo once in my life. Maybe this is the year. I could be one of these guys
[image error] alt="description"/>
Nobody I know will go with me, however.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'd go with you, Kirk, but I'm afraid of the big festivals. I'm afraid I'll have to sleep in four feet of mud and use a porta-potty you can smell from half a mile away. I'm not sure I have the stamina for the big festivals, except maybe Lollapallooza in Chicago, if I had a hotel room right across from Grant Park.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Oh, please, RA, you're not THAT old. I'm only a year younger than you, and I'm dying to relive my youth through summer festivals, illicit narcotics and four feet of mud. Come on, bro...you know you want to!

I'm putting some serious thought into Bonnaroo. Coachella's got some acts I'd love to see live, but making it out there in just a couple of months just won't happen. Bonnaroo's only 6 hours from where I live, and I've got some friends in Tennessee who always go. I think I'll join them.

I'm keen on seeing the following at Bonnaroo:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Beastie Boys
Nine Inch Nails
David Byrne
Wilco
Al Green
Snoop Dogg
Elvis Costello Solo
Erykah Badu
Paul Oakenfold Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Gov't Mule
Merle Haggard
MGMT
Bon Iver
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Galactic
Booker T & the DBTs
David Grisman Quintet
Lucinda Williams
Neko Case
Jenny Lewis
Santogold
Robert Earl Keen Femi Kuti and the Positive Force
The Ting Tings
Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 King Sunny Adé
Okkervil River Alejandro Escovedo

Seriously, if anyone wants to make a trip - that means you, Kirk - let's hash it out. Not a bad idea to talk about possibly going, I think.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You make it sound tempting, Gus. Can I borrow Matthew's sunglasses and check out the girls in sundresses?

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well RA, if you really want to wear sundresses, you shouldn't have to ask permission.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm...not sure if the sundress would match the sunglasses...

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Make sure you have the right summer purse, too.

message 10: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments HAHA

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Some of the pictures I've seen from Bonnaroo make me want to go there. But then I wake up and realize I really don't want to put up with all of that. So there I am.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Send me a postcard?? Pretty please? :)

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Where are these festival held? When? One is in California - is it during summer break? I'd totally go. At first I was going to say that I want to go see these before we have kids - but then I want to add that I want to be the kind of mom who brings a baby in a sling to concerts like this.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'd consider Bonnaroo -- I have some friends going this year.

I don't like the aggressiveness of those crowds, though -- I didn't even go to Virgin Fest, which I could reach on one city bus, because of the combination of people + sun + heat.

Folk festivals are ok, but rock festivals seem to bring out a little more crazy than I care to be in proximity to...

Austin City Limits always tempts me...I don't think they've announced their lineup yet.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) SXSW in Austin is very laid back and easy to do -- especially if you live in Austin.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My problem with all of these is that inevitably, everybody you want to see is on at the same time, on opposite ends of the grounds.
SXSW too -- and you get stuck in lines outside each club, unless you've got a VIP pass...

I sure am a pessimist this morning.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

*hugs Sarah Pi*

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Virgin Fest?

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can make you up a VIP pass, Sarah Pi.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Virgin Fest -- the best place to get your groupies. Or the festival put on by Virgin Mobile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_F...

Larry -- You can make me a VIP pass?

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to eat lunch and go enjoy the sunny cold day instead of being a grouch.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No not a real one. A fake one that just might work. Or maybe not. No, actually you shouldn't count on me for anything like that. A thought pops in my head and I put in a comment. Moving on now ....

message 22: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy I'm thinking about doing Coachella this year. It's awful pricey, though. I might just do one day.

Now for ACL price is no object. They had BOB DYLAN last year. BOB *#&*@!!$% DYLAN. My god I love that man. But that festival requires my being in Austin, which can take some finagling.

message 23: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) I'd love to know who thought booking McCartney at Coachella was a good idea.

message 24: by Félix (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:09PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Isaiah wrote: "But that festival requires my being in Austin, which can take some finagling."

Outstanding warrants?

message 25: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Not anymore, Larry. Now it's violent ex-girlfriends hellbent on revenge.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Gotcha.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Outstanding warrants probably sound good in comparison.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hear ya Jim.

message 29: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy I pine for the simple days of parking tickets and misdemeanor drug possession.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Here's to the good old days.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Outstanding warrants probably sound good in comparison.

Heh...well responded, sir...

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I went out to the country and got lost, which for some reason always puts a smile on my face. I found a river, and farms, and some very confusing roads. Then I found myself, and rode my friend's horse in the freezing cold.
Now I'm back, and in a better mood. Larry -- no faux VIP passes necessary, but thanks for the offer.

message 33: by Félix (last edited Feb 05, 2009 04:47PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sure thing.

When I lived there I would often do that on weekends (drive around and get lost -- not ride a horse). The countryside around there is very nice -- especially up toward the Pennsylvania line. I lived in Harford County, a pretty nice area generally.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments in my town they have a Haynes Apperson Festival and here are the acts:

Rewind
Mike and The Spikes
Jukeboxx
the one dude with the mullet and his 80's cover band
the guys that play all the Skynyrd music
the creepy, weird bluegrass family

and the headliner:

Lil Jimmy Lucky and Rawhide (featuring Rogeta Lucky)

message 35: by Heidi (last edited Feb 06, 2009 06:09AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :) If any of you make it to Bonnaroo... you HAVE to see Todd Snider perform. He's one of my favorite live performers - easily makes the top 3 faves.

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments I sure do wish I knew who y'all were talking about.
*sigh* and a little bit not.

message 37: by Félix (last edited Feb 06, 2009 03:11PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) here's a good pic from Bonnaroo ....

[image error]

message 38: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments I'd love to hit Coachella again this year but that's just not going to happen. I'm with Gary though- who the hell decided that anyone anywhere had any desire to see Paul McCartney? I'd like to see him, but only if I'm walking down the street with a pie in my hands.

I wonder what this year's Sasquatch line-up is going to look like? It's been nearly a decade since I've been to the Gorge and it's still my favorite venue.

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't get the Paul McCartney thing either...do you want your grandpa at coachella?

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, i thought he was gonna be at Couchella

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments So, what's your beef with "old" people. Random?

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh here we go.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments That's a cryptic remark. Could you be more specific?

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) As in "Tales from the Crypt-ic"?

No, I'm also "old." Not really wanting to be specific about that.

message 45: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I happen to love the elderly. I find them to be a lot more interesting than most of the people my age. Strange, I know.

I would go to Coachella just for MBV.

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Elderly, Matthew?

This guy looks interesting, eh?

message 47: by Sally, la reina (last edited Feb 06, 2009 08:06PM) (new)

I so wish I had something clever to add to this thread. All I can do is this:

[image error]

message 48: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 07, 2009 04:09AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, I love old people. I just don't want to see Paul McCartney at Coachella. It feels wrong.

Old people people are more appropriate at Denny's, maybe, and at the library.

(Kidding, kidding...)

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love old people for talking to and hanging out with, prob not for moshing with to Rage Against The Machine at an outdoor music festival. That being said, my twenty-something kids do not want to see ME there singing Renegades Of Funk at the top of my lungs and throwing chunks of sod at the security people. so in many instances I AM THE OLD PEOPLE NO ONE WANTS THERE

screw em, i am lower-middle class and can afford a ticket, a bowl of jambalaya from the food vendors and a Starbucks on the way home

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I know a 50-something guy who told me once he went to a rave here locally. Said he was clearly the oldest dude there. One of my younger friends, who also knows this guy, said what's weird is not that he was there, but that he still thinks of himself as a "dude."

Sally -- that image was spot on.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.