Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Do Judge a Book by its Cover

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena Horn (lenahorn) | 9 comments I'm a big fan of going to a bookstore and looking at covers and I know that I, and many others, judge books by their covers.

My thought is that it'd be neat to have a feature, maybe something like the poll's on the front page, where users can rate a cover.

Would love to hear who thinks this is a good (or absolutely horrid) idea! :) or even ways to expand it.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl In the meantime, Lena, there are countless Listopias dealing with covers, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Just search "covers" within Listopia.

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena Horn (lenahorn) | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "In the meantime, Lena, there are countless Listopias dealing with covers, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Just search "covers" within Listopia."

Oh cool I didn't know that! Will check it out :)

message 4: by Eddie (new)

Eddie (TickleMeElmo) im tired of getting book recomendations with books that have no cover.... i wish i can change this so i only see books with a cover on them..

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) I don't care about the cover. Oh, I care that it represents what the story is about, but I'm not going to not read, not buy, not consider a book simply because it's lacking a cover or the cover looks stupid. I'm much more interested in the content.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena Horn (lenahorn) | 9 comments Kathy wrote: "I don't care about the cover. Oh, I care that it represents what the story is about, but I'm not going to not read, not buy, not consider a book simply because it's lacking a cover or the cover loo..."

I agree. I wouldn't toss a book aside because it has a bad cover. In the end, of course it's the content that matters. But I'm also a fan of the cover art (and illustrations inside too!), and I thought it'd be a fun little feature that would help find some great art and hopefully great books too.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I wish someone would correct the apostrophe in the header.

message 8: by Superposition (new)

Superposition | 3 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I wish someone would correct the apostrophe in the header."

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the header.

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena Horn (lenahorn) | 9 comments Superposition wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I wish someone would correct the apostrophe in the header."

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the header."

OMG I can't believe I did that! And usually I'm the one telling people the difference between it's and its... *embarrassed*

Fixed it!

message 10: by Melisa (new)

Melisa Fischer (Mel221B) | 5 comments It's kinda difficult don't judge a book by its cover. I try not to, but sometimes I just can't help it.

message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 24, 2012 12:11PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) The cover is important - an attractive cover will draw you to look further at a book. It's not unlike an attractive person - usually you want to know more. But, a person being attractive is simply not enough, and an attractive book cover won't make me read a book that is of little interest to me.

message 12: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments I don't think I've ever not-bought a book because of the cover but I've certainly bought a few because the cover was good enough to at least get me to pick the book up and read the blurb.

I would like GR to allow the cover artist to get a mention in the book record. The very same artists can be added as 'Illustrator' if they have done a single chapter head or a colophon but not for cover art. Seems odd.

message 13: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments If you have a bookshop you judge books by their covers. Trying to put up window displays with books, no matter how brilliant, with dismal covers isn't going to attract anyone's attention.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Banjomike wrote: "I don't think I've ever not-bought a book because of the cover but I've certainly bought a few because the cover was good enough to at least get me to pick the book up and read the blurb.

I woul..."

There are literally thousands upon thousands of books that I wouldn't pick up because of the cover.

I agree, however, that GR could give cover artist recognition.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) I do enjoy including comments about the covers in the books I review. I whine if it only has a vague connection or if the characters don't come close to those in the book. It's challenging to find different ways to comment on well-muscled torsos. Nekkid ones...! It's made me more aware when the cover artist changes in the middle of a series and which series have a "signature".

message 16: by Gill (last edited Oct 02, 2012 02:18AM) (new)

Gill | 48 comments Petra wrote: "Trying to put up window displays with books, no matter how brilliant, with dismal covers isn't going to attract anyone's attention. "
My Dad was a branch librarian and did weekly displays of books. Many had covers which were very plain, but he would theme the display and add his own art work - I remember Christmas ones with his origami figures of the three kings in white against a backdrop of golden sunset desert he had painted; books with peacock in the title with amazing silver paper modelled peacocks he made and Coronation books in 1953 with a six foot long train handsewn robes etc. on a model of the Queen he made for the display cabinet.
The display case was about 10 foot wide and 5 foot high at the top of the flight of grand stairs that led up to the library. The interest was caused by his art work and the books were often picked up because of that.

message 17: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I have to sell books to earn money. A librarian isn't in the same position and has money allocated for displays and obviously the time to make very elaborate crafts and models and other staff to take over the various work while he is engaged in such time-consuming work. I don't have those luxuries.

message 18: by Gill (new)

Gill | 48 comments I quite understand that Petra - it was a hobby for my Dad who was really a frustrated artist - started work during the depression and so would never forgo the safety of regular employment. He didn't have a budget for the displays though and never made them during working hours, beyond putting the prepared display and chosen books into the display cabinet. The work was done at home in his free time.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I think booksellers and librarians are in the same business - to sell books and reading. Sure, librarians expect to get the books back and, for the most part, no money is exchanged. But if a librarian doesn't attract a clientele, taxpayers will decide to cut the budget, which cuts personnel. It's still a living to be made.

message 20: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments I'm on record as being very pro-cover artist. I've created a poll on the topic.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/72...

It isn't as though the cover artist is even known for most books so it is not likely to cause much extra work. Just allow the option.

message 21: by Lena (new)

Lena Horn (lenahorn) | 9 comments Banjomike wrote: "I'm on record as being very pro-cover artist. I've created a poll on the topic.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/72...

It isn't a..."

Cool, thanks for sharing :D

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1153 comments Banjomike wrote: "I would like GR to allow the cover artist to get a mention in the book record. The very same artists can be added as 'Illustrator' if they have done a single chapter head or a colophon but not for cover art. Seems odd. "

Are you sure they can't be added in the author-role fields just like illustrator. Just because cover artist isn't listed as one of the sample roles, doesn't necessarily mean you can't add it. I think you can add any role you want, although I haven't tried it.

message 23: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments I believe the PTB have done a thumbs down on adding cover artists to the author field in previous threads in the Librarians Group.

message 24: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1153 comments Oh, bummer.

message 25: by Banjomike (last edited Oct 03, 2012 03:58AM) (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments Rivka commented here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

That is not a fair representation of GR policy. We don't hate cover artists, or proofreaders, or editors, or cover designers. We just don't consider them secondary authors of a book. Any or all of the above may be noted in the book's description field.

As comparisons go, I don't agree with it. Comparing proofreaders and editors to people who start with blank sheet of paper (or photoshop screen) and design something original, is wrong. I think Otis is against the idea of cover artists as well.

The current score on the poll is:
Yes - 18 votes, 81.8%
I'm ambivalent (write-in) - 3 votes, 13.6%
No - 1 vote, 4.5%