The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

For Those Who Like to Write > Writing Wanted!!!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My school literary magazine, Pegasus, is accepting short stories and poems for this year's issue! If you're interested, please send the piece to me through a Google Doc. 10021114@richland2.org. Thanks!!

message 2: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!

message 3: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Ahh… I'd totally send you something! Just, is there any name we have to include, and can it be a nom de plume, and also, any specific genre? It's been a while since I've written a short story, and this'd be a fantastic chance/excuse/thing to write for!

message 4: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments I can't send a piece through Google Doc, I'm sorry! I'm gonna have to post it here.... So... here.. I have a poem for you.

Inside This Writer's mind

Beware what might see and not
if you venture through this place.
Here my thoughts run wild and free
at every different pace.

Not only are they past control,
defying logic, mocking sense,
but also rejecting reality
at any and all expense.

Here grow my frivolities,
my fantasies, my dreams.
Easing my fall to reality,
however odd that seems.

I don't mean to contradict myself,
I know they can't do both;
To defy and ease reality...
their hypocritical oath.

The thoughts race and blend together
like winds within a storm,
But here inside this writer's mind
imagination sets the terms.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Mouse wrote: "Ahh… I'd totally send you something! Just, is there any name we have to include, and can it be a nom de plume, and also, any specific genre? It's been a while since I've written a short story, ..."

It can be any genre you want. I don't know what nom de plume means, could you please explain?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Axela wrote: "I can't send a piece through Google Doc, I'm sorry! I'm gonna have to post it here.... So... here.. I have a poem for you.

Inside This Writer's mind

Beware what might see and not
if you venture ..."

Thanks!! Do you want me to put your name on it? I won't take credit even if you don't.

message 7: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Yeah, yeah I do. *Amy Pond voice*

~Alexa

:)

message 8: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Nom de plume = pen name.

message 9: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments ...?

message 10: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Oh, sorry! I was just responding to a question Rosa asked about what a non de plume was. I think she got it, though, so ignore me. :)

message 11: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Rosa Harkness ~ Queen of Wibbly-Wobbly wrote: "Mouse wrote: "Ahh… I'd totally send you something! Just, is there any name we have to include, and can it be a nom de plume, and also, any specific genre? It's been a while since I've written a..."

Pseudonym/ pen name. It's basically a fake anme that a writer or writers will use. Like Erin Hunter. Or Lemony Snicket.

message 12: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Or like Eris. :P

message 13: by Axela (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:41AM) (new)

Axela | 415 comments Second thought... Can you make it Evangeline Collins? That's my favorite name ever.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
What is the deadline to get stuff to you?

I don't do Google docs would attached word.docs work? Or just cut & paste into body of email?

message 15: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Mouse wrote: "Pseudonym/ pen name. It's basically a fake anme that a writer or writers will use. Like Erin Hunter. Or Lemony Snicket.
"

I LOVE both of those authors!! :D

message 16: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Axela wrote: "Second thought... Can you make it Evangleine Collins? That's my favorite name ever."

THAT NAME IS SO COOL!!!

message 17: by Axela (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Axela | 415 comments Janeen-san wrote: "Axela wrote: "Second thought... Can you make it Evangleine Collins? That's my favorite name ever."

THAT NAME IS SO COOL!!!"

Thanks! It's my favorite name ever. I know Evangeline means "Bringer of Good News"... Collins means "Dove." So it means "Bringer of Good News, Dove" or loosely "The Dove that Brings Good News." Pretty, huh?

message 18: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments I didn't even know those names HAD meaning :P
They are very pretty! I wish I could come up with names like those. One of the names I came up with years ago, and will probably use in the story I'm going to write this year, is Saturday Perilhaven. Copywrite Janeen M. 2012

message 19: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments All names that are actually used have meanings. :)All you have to do is look them up.

It's too bad that I can't copywrite Evangeline Collins. :/ I'm sure it's really a name of someone.

I put meanings in most of my names, or at least make the meaning make sense together, because it sounds so much prettier and gives you an idea for the kind of personality the person will have.

message 20: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Sep 21, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
My name Kirk means Church or "of the Church". I was also born on a Sunday. At the time my Mom taught the younger aged elementary school kids classes (not sure of age/grade group). I was told at a young age I was "almost" born at church, I think it was because my mom's water broke during her class that I was told that (or that the contractions were getting sooo close together it was time to head to the hospital)... hmm maybe someone was telling me something?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "What is the deadline to get stuff to you?

I don't do Google docs would attached word.docs work? Or just cut & paste into body of email?"

We don't have a deadline *yet*. I don't think those would work, do you think you can message it too me here and I can make it a Google doc?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Axela wrote: "Second thought... Can you make it Evangeline Collins? That's my favorite name ever."

Yes I can! I like the sound of that!

message 23: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "My name Kirk means Church or "of the Church". I was also born on a Sunday. At the time my Mom taught the younger aged elementary school kids classes (not sure of age/grade group). I was told at a y..."

0_0

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ummm.........moving on!

message 25: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments My full name (I can't put it on the internet, sorry, staying safe) means "Protector of Man and Friend of God. So there, Kirk. So there.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 24, 2012 03:12PM) (new)

Emily means "rival", but my first name isn't spelled like that, it's Emaleigh, so combining the "Ema" with the "Leigh", it's "Whole/Universal Clearing". Add my middle name and you get: Whole/Universal Clearing of the Lake. Sounds pretty epic to me.

message 27: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Emaleigh! That's such a pretty name!! My real name is just like on here, it's Janeen and means "by God's grace".

message 28: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Your name is Emaleigh, Rosa? That is so pretty! Universal Clearing of the Lake is pretty epic. :D That would make a great book title.

message 29: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments My name is a rock.

A red. Sparkly. Freaking. Rock.

message 30: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Ruby.

message 31: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Yup.

Freaking rock.

I don't really like it.

On topic: I'm thinking about writing a story that'll be a sort of allegory of the Holocaust but not really because it takes place in LE FUTURE and the "Hitler" character is a horse. I think his name is Howard. Howard Evergreen?

message 32: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Wait. Hitler is a....horse?!

message 33: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments allegory |ˈaləˌgôrē|
noun ( pl. allegories )
a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Eris ~ Time Lord Unvictorious wrote: "Your name is Emaleigh, Rosa? That is so pretty! Universal Clearing of the Lake is pretty epic. :D That would make a great book title."

You're right, it would!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Janeen-san wrote: "Emaleigh! That's such a pretty name!! My real name is just like on here, it's Janeen and means "by God's grace"."

Thanks, and nice!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Since we're in this topic: my first name Sarah means 'princess' and my middle name Eloise means 'famous warrior'. So basically, my full name means 'famous warrior princess'. Not quite as epic as your name, Rosa, but still pretty cool, I think.