Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

In a Dark Wood Wandering: A Novel of the Middle Ages
This topic is about In a Dark Wood Wandering
Monthly Group Reads > OCTOBER 2012 (Group Read 2): In a Dark Wood Wandering by Hella S. Haasse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Our 'Medieval or Later' Group Read for October is In a Dark Wood Wandering: A Novel of the Middle Ages by Hella S. Haasse

In a Dark Wood Wandering A Novel of the Middle Ages by Hella S. Haasse

This novel exemplifies historical fiction at its best; the author's meticulous research and polished style bring the medieval world into vibrant focus. Set during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453), the narrative creates believable human beings from the great roll of historical figures. Here are the mad Charles VI, the brilliant Louis d'Orleans, Joan of Arc, Henry V, and, most importantly, Charles d'Orleans, whose loyalty to France brought him decades of captivity in England. A natural poet and scholar, his birth and rank thrust him into the center of intrigue and strife, and through his observant eyes readers enter fully into his colorful, dangerous times. First published in the Netherlands in 1949, this book has never been out of print there and has been reprinted 15 times.

Hella S. Haasse has written 17 novels as well as poetry, plays and essays, and has received many honors and awards including the Netherlands State Award for Literature. Her books have been translated into English, French, German, Swedish, Italian, Hungarian, Serbo-Croatian and Welsh.

message 2: by happy (new) - added it

happy (happyone) | 2716 comments My library has it, so it is on my wish list

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments People are already sourcing this one easily..and yet I had to get my library to buy it in for the group read. :-)
Anne just mentioned in another thread that her library has 4 copies and Bryn already owns a copy.

This is all good news.

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments I knew this book was a well respected book and is published around the world and has never been out of print. What I did only notice today was that it was published in 1949. Which makes it, by many standards, a Classic.

Carol (ladygyn) | 304 comments Hey Terri. I was "published" in 1949 so does that make me a classic too? I know I am incomparable, but probably not a classic.

Carol (ladygyn) | 304 comments BTW. Read this book years ago and did enjoy it. Am now in the midst of the 3rd and final book by Forrester AKA Ian Mortimer called The Final Sacrament in a trilogy re Catholics in the time of Elizabeth Tudor. Am also caught up in my beloved American college football games. Go Gators

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Carol wrote: "Hey Terri. I was "published" in 1949 so does that make me a classic too? I know I am incomparable, but probably not a classic."

lol

We could call you a modern classic. :)

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Ha. Yes, we could call you a Modern Classic, Carol. I agree. :-)

Carol (ladygyn) | 304 comments Thank you ladies, I guess that is better than being called 'elder statesman'. If you haven't seen this series I mentioned last note, you must. Terri, it has a goodly amount of blood and guts, but more Mano a mano, altho there are pirates involved in the second book. Knowing what you seem attracted to, you ladies will like this series.

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments I shall keep it in mind, Carol. :-) Mano a mano sounds definitely my style.

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Sep 15, 2012 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Welcome, Matt,

May I suggest this one, Matt? The book in the discussion heading.
It is a group read that goes for the month of October.
If you can find it you are welcome to join in.

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Also Matt you may want to check out our Recommended Reading List for some ideas;
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/24...

message 13: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments I have a production meeting at a big box bookstore and thought, I'll pick it up while I'm there, save shipping and all. No. I can get it online but not from the local store. Guess I'll be asking at the new bookshop that replaced my used bookshop on the corner next. Though, they still have the bag sale going so even if they don't have this, I'll come home with something.

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Crystal wrote: "I have a production meeting at a big box bookstore and thought, I'll pick it up while I'm there, save shipping and all. No. I can get it online but not from the local store...."

well thats ridiculous.

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Sep 23, 2012 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments I have added a video to go with this group read.
A collage of images with a french soundtrack, it will help people refresh their minds on the Hundred Years war history that set this book is set in.

Video can be watched here;
http://www.goodreads.com/videos/30751...

Or watched on the Groups main page.

message 16: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (jopalmer) | 4 comments Hello, This is my first group read and looking forward to it. I ordered a used copy of this through Amazon and it arrived today. A slightly musty hardcover version from the 90's, it has the most beautiful old fashioned hand writing on the inside. An inscription from a husband to his wife on their wedding anniversary gifting her the book back in 1995. Hmm...better be careful, I know your not keen on romance. Looks an interesting book, can't wait to get stuck in!

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I hope you enjoy it Joanne, I know Terri is looking forward to it. :)

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments That is a sweet story, Joanne. Who's not keen on romance though? I would love my husband to inscribe a book to me. lol. :)
As long as it wasn't a romance book! :D

You may be ahead of me when you start. My library is buying this one and the other group read in and I don't expect they will be too far off from coming in.
Not in time for an October 1 start for me though. Hate that. :( I have kind of gotten used to starting my A&M group reads 1st of month.

Anyways, enough of my complaining..welcome to your first group read Joanne!!!

message 19: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (jopalmer) | 4 comments Thanks for your welcome :)

I'm hoping to join in with both reads, how does it work? Read one then the other or both together?

message 20: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (jopalmer) | 4 comments Oh my above post seems to have been cut short. It was supposed to say both together? Trying to do to many things at once :)

message 21: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments hahaha. Made perfect sense to me. :)

One then the other is what I usually do. Generally some will start Group Read 1 and some will start Group Read 2..and then we swap over when we all done on the read we are on.

However, there are some freaks of nature, such as our dear Dawn, who reads both at once. ;)

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Hey, just because I'm reading 5 books at the present time doesn't make me a freak. ;)

I'm just impatient and have a short attention span. :D

message 23: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (jopalmer) | 4 comments 5! How do you keep track of them all? I usually have two, an upstairs by the bed heavy going tomb and a second on the go frivolous dip in and out book. Anymore than 3 and I'm sure I'd be confused.

I'm hoping to read Skystone as well (when it arrives) so will probably bimble over to that thread and head back here when finished.

By the way I've noticed that posts are sometimes cut off so I can't see the full comment (hence my above post) now I have come back to the thread I can see it all,very strange. Is this a problem anyone else has?

message 24: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments Yes, Joanne, I frequently only see the first part of my post and then come back and find the rest of it. Facebook does the same thing with their messages. I figure it's related coding.

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments If they are different genre's I find it really easy to keep track. The non-fiction and audiobook are always easy to keep sorted, same if I have a classic or modern-lit on the go (which I will have tomorrow as I'm reading Pickwick Papers with some friends), I have two HF started but one is set in Rome and the other during the French Revolution so that's not hard and I have a classic SF on the go too. If I get to many fantasy books going at one time I can get confused but the rest aren't hard.

I'm gonna feel lost this month as I'm not doing either of the group reads, I hope you enjoy both.

I haven't had that issue with my posts, are you on a computer or something else. I know some odd things can happen on a tablet or phone.

message 26: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments Yeah, it happens on my Nook tablet but not my laptop.

message 27: by Bryn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 1505 comments I'm with Dawn: either impatient or short attention span, I don't know which - I worry. But I read six at a time, and I'll prove it by cracking this open while I already have five. The lot of them histfic.

message 28: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments I read one at a time, although I do like to have a non fiction coffee table book on the go at the same time. You know, photographic books, for those times I don't feel like reading, I have something to flick through.

message 29: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Joanne, I used to have that problem on my Acer Tablet, but never on my laptop. Since Acer updates their operating system my tablet doesn't do it anymore.

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Bryn wrote: "I'm with Dawn: either impatient or short attention span, I don't know which - I worry. But I read six at a time, and I'll prove it by cracking this open while I already have five. The lot of them h..."

Yep I just started another one today and I'll be starting another tomorrow for a different group read. Have no intention of finishing any so I'll be up to 7. :)

message 31: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments I used to read more than one book at a time. Nowadays, having a script in either analysis or rehearsal, plus a book, a newspaper and a magazine is what I can handle. Getting my BFA "cured" me of reading multiple tbooks at once, I had to then and and being made to do it took the 'fun' out of it and it never came back. I think. Or I started reading differently. Or both. *sigh* None of which helps my expanding TBR... lol

message 32: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Something snapped with me early this year. not so much in reading more than one book at a time, but in reading 8 or more books a month. I had burn out and I struggle to read 4 in a month consistently.
I don't know what happened to my speed reading mojo. It was weird.

message 33: by Bryn (last edited Oct 01, 2012 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 1505 comments I have a dusty old bookmark stuck in mine at p.122, from years ago. Let's see if I get further. I remember nothing. (I have a lot of books with bookmarks in, it's no great condemnation. It'd be worse if I'd taken the bookmark out).

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments I look forward to reading this one with you, Bryn. I enjoyed reading the last one with you and i am really intrigued to see if we both enjoy this one the same way.

message 35: by Bryn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 1505 comments Terri wrote: "I look forward to reading this one with you, Bryn. I enjoyed reading the last one with you and i am really intrigued to see if we both enjoy this one the same way."

That'd be great, Terri, the last was double-fun because we enthused together. Of course we'd better not expect that every month...

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Lol. No. Not every month. Some healthy debate stemming from differing opinions would be fun too. :-)

Carol (ladygyn) | 304 comments To me. The idea of reading is for pleasure, not gluttony. I like to savor the story so reading more than two books at a time is like going to an all you cN eat buffet too many times. You fill up but don't really consider yourself eating fine cuisine. If a book is a poor choice, or doesn't keep you engaged, then put it down. I have more recently done that because some of the books touted to be good actually were not in my eyes. For exampleThe Prague CemeteryWhich I could not take, so I stopped. But I can't imagine reading 8 books simultaneously and enjoying them all

message 38: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments Which one are you reading first Terri?

message 39: by Bryn (last edited Oct 01, 2012 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 1505 comments Tried a few pages. I'm getting involved, and I'm sorry for the mad king (that can't be a spoiler).

There's a deluge of names but I don't go out of my way to learn them. I figure, if they're frequent they'll sink in. And I count on an author to give me memory aids from time to time.

#
On the other discussion: though I have several active, I'm a believer in slow reading. Maybe because I can't do fast. People are different, and habits change - I didn't used to flit from book to book. It's my brain this year.

message 40: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Crystal wrote: "Which one are you reading first Terri?"

Not sure yet, Crystal. It may be a case of whichever comes into the library first.
If they both come in together, I may go for the other read first as it is shorter. Get the smaller book read first, then settle into the longer one and take my time.

message 41: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments I think I'll start the second one while I look for the second in my local used bookstores.

message 42: by Bryn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 1505 comments p. 46. I like it. Find it very visual. And a bit befuddling with who's who. I notice the 'Prologue' is 86 pages.

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Yoiks. An 86 page prologue?!

message 44: by Bryn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 1505 comments Yeah, that's a bit funny. Better called Part 1, I think.

message 45: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments I agree. A Prologue really should not be that long. Part 1, much better.

message 46: by Tasha (new)

Tasha My mom's library has this one too so I asked her to pick it up for me but due to another huge commitment, I won't be reading this one yet. I'm also waiting to see what you guys all think about it. That huge prologue has me a bit concerned. ;)

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments It has me concerned too. lol. But I think it will help knowing it is coming.

message 48: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I definitely have the advantage of a wait and see approach to this one. :)

message 49: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19571 comments Was just saying in the other Group Read thread that I think the library has received the two group read books for me. I expect I'll have them by next week. :-) makes me happy.

message 50: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Awesome!

Good morning/evening!

« previous 1 3 4