Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Skystone
Monthly Group Reads > OCTOBER 2012 (Group Read 1): The Skystone by Jack Whyte

Comments Showing 1-50 of 221 (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Our 'Ancient' monthly group read for October is The Skystone by Jack Whyte.

The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1) by Jack Whyte

Everyone knows the story-how Arthur pulled the sword from the stone, how Camelot came to be, and about the power struggles that ultimately destroyed Arthur's dreams. But what of the time before Arthur and the forces that created him?

How did the legend really come to pass?

Before the time of Arthur and his Camelot, Britain was a dark and deadly place, savaged by warring factions of Picts, Celts, and invading Saxons. The Roman citizens who had lived there for generations were suddenly faced with a deadly choice: Should they leave and take up residence in a corrupt Roman world that was utterly foreign, or should they stay and face the madness that would ensue when Britain's last bastion of safety for the civilized, the Roman legions, left?

For two Romans, Publius Varrus and his friend Caius Britannicus, there can be only one answer. They will stay, to preserve what is best of Roman life, and will create a new culture out of the wreckage. In doing so, they will unknowingly plant the seeds of legend-for these two men are Arthur's great-grandfathers, and their actions will shape a nation . . . and forge a sword known as Excalibur.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Oh well, I'll read the other on my own I guess. :(

But I will be interested to see what everyone thinks about this book. There were quite a few varying opinions on the author and I look forward to seeing the discussion. :)

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments I think I am more intrigued by this book because of all the mixed feelings on Jack Whyte!
For those who have not seen me say it before, this will be my first Whyte book. I once read a few pages of his first Templar book and was not that fussed on what I saw. So, I am interested to see what awaits me with Skystone.

Tasha I'm looking forward to it.

Jenny (jennyc89) I'm excited to finally read this! It's been sitting on my shelf since last Christmas Eve.

message 6: by happy (last edited Sep 16, 2012 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

happy (happyone) | 2694 comments I read this years ago (10 or more - I'm getting to the point where the years all seem to run together:D) and I really liked it.

I thought the series as a whole was a plausable explaination of the Arthurian legends - from Excalibur to Merlin to the Knights of the Round table.

I think the series as a whole is a solid 4 star. That is said I don't think it is as good as Cornwell's take on the same legends. ( Nod to Terri )

As far as his Templar books go - I don't think they were anywhere near as good.

I think his book on William Wallace was between the the two.
The Forest Laird A Tale of William Wallace by Jack Whyte

(view spoiler)

Silver I am looking forward to this one, I have never read Whyte before but I have several of his book. I have been wanting to read this series. I am something of an Arthurian Legend Buff.

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments happy wrote: " That is said I don't think it is as good as Cornwell's take on the same legends. ( Nod to Terri) ..."

I suppose it can be a curse that not many live up to the master. Lol.

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Glad to have you both along for the read in October Jenny and Silver.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I wasn't sure this would be that popular a book from some of the comments I've seen but it looks like there will be quite a few joining in. That should make for a good conversation. :)

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments It should indeed. :-)

message 12: by Dar B (new) - added it

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 137 comments I am going to read it because it has been on my tbr list for years, recommended by one of my favorite authors for while we wait for her new releases. I am on my library's wait list, so I will not get it for a couple of weeks probably. I only join in once I am done so as not to spoil it for myself.

message 13: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (jrtomlin) Oh, well, I really don't have time to take part anyway and I wanted to this month. Too much pressure from the novels I have in the works. This wouldn't be an novel that would interest me, unlike the Sept. novel. One day soon I swear I am going to manage one of these.

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments My library is buying this one (and our Medieval Group Read) in for me, so I am at the mercy of their buying system. Sometimes their purchases come quick, sometimes they don't.
I too will get to the two group reads when they arrive.

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments I have added a video on the Celts after the Romans left Britain, to the groups videos.
It can be found here;
http://www.goodreads.com/videos/30752...

Or on the group's main page.

message 16: by Marty (last edited Sep 23, 2012 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marty (martymill) | 65 comments Yay, my husband has a copy of this! I was so disappointed that I couldn't get a copy of The Hound. This will make up for it, I hope.

message 17: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Excellent! :D
The more the merrier for sure!

Patricia The Skystone: The Dream of Eagles Vol. 1
I have read all of Jack Whyte's books in this series. Being a big fan of the Arthurian legend, I devoured these books as they were published. Needless to say, I was caught up in the story and thought they provided a plausible history of Arthur's fore bearers.

message 19: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Can't tempt you to reread the first one in October with us, Patricia? :-)

message 20: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam (adam_haviaras) So glad to see this book on the group read. The Skystone is a fantastic first book in a very unique retelling of the Arthurian cycle. Mr. Whyte's Dream of Eagles series (or Camulod Chronicles, depending where you live)is his best work in my opinion. A great look at Roman Britain and, once you get into the series, you'll be on the edge of your 'siege perilous'!

message 21: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 16 comments Adam wrote: "So glad to see this book on the group read. The Skystone is a fantastic first book in a very unique retelling of the Arthurian cycle. Mr. Whyte's Dream of Eagles series (or Camulod Chronicles, depe..."

I agree. For me Whyte’s approach to legend of King Arthur is the believability, historcially speaking, and does not rely on “magical” formula to engage the reader. It is the “history” of the times and I felt I was there. Great reading, in my opinion.

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Sounds promising. Although....everyone has different tastes in writing, so it will be interesting to see if that ratings will be split when we read it.
As Whyte is disliked as a writer as much as liked, I do not know what to expect. And I like going into a book with that feeling.

Rae-Rae | 4 comments One of my all time favourite books! I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of it. Enjoy!

message 24: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments I hope to...I just need it to come into the library. :-) *not so patiently waiting*

For all those who have read it, you are more than welcome to be involved in the discussion thread when the read starts.

Simona | 1452 comments This time I own the book - at least! - because my younger kid is a fan and he has read all the series. I'm sure I'll be able to bribe him with cookies to borrow the book..

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Wow, cheap bribe. :)

Simona | 1452 comments You say so because you haven't tasted my cookies, pal!

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Hahaha

In which case I would like to be bribed with cookies too. :)

message 29: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Me too. :-)

Tasha I'm not above being bribed with cookies, but it will only work if they are chocolate chip cookies. :)

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Tasha wrote: "I'm not above being bribed with cookies, but it will only work if they are chocolate chip cookies. :)"

I bet that's not true. :-)

Tasha ok, well peanut butter will work too... ;)

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Haha. Yum. :-) I like peanut butter biscuits.

message 34: by Aria (new)

Aria (AriaRoseReading) | 30 comments Even though Whyte's novel is getting mixed reviews from the panel here I find it intriguing, to say the least - especially as it is staying true to the fact than the fiction.

But my liking it is probably a symptom of too much fantasy and magical men in tights from UF/PNR....grim stare. It feels good to say, "I believe you now" at a book every once in a while.

Okay, enough talk, I hope I can find this one without paying for it.

message 35: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments I'm with you Aria, the fact that reviews from people in here are so mixed, has made me even more curious about it. I can't wait to start it...can't wait to start either of our October Group Reads. If only my library would hurry up. :(

message 36: by Aria (new)

Aria (AriaRoseReading) | 30 comments So you order at the library?

That's a great idea girl. I should get my pen and paper, compile the list, storm the walls of the local library and demand my...yeah. I should do that too :)

I can't believe ebooks are the same price as paperback. Where is the damn reject button when I need it??

message 37: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments My library is my saviour. They save me so much money. Most of my books come via the library.

If they don't have them I ask them to buy them in, and most times they do although it takes a few weeks from order to me getting it, or they do an ILL (inter library loan) where it comes from a library outside of my area..sometimes from outside my state!

They are buying in Skystone for me, and the other group read...and so I wait. *sigh* I impatiently wait. :(

message 38: by Aria (new)

Aria (AriaRoseReading) | 30 comments We shall have a sigh party together.

You bring the fanta, I bring the extra fattening potato chips and the bawling tears of pity.

:D

Right, I have some expertise in library business but starting tomorrow I am going to be a volunteer at a bookshop (maybe they will pay me in droppings and the occasional book?)

Silver I do not know much about Whyte, I just picked up some of his books because they looked like the sort of thing I would like to read, and I like just about anything relating to Arthurian legend, but I had no idea he was such a "controversial" writer.

message 40: by Aria (new)

Aria (AriaRoseReading) | 30 comments He is not controversial, it appears, but rather his stories seem less magical and more portrayal of what reality may have been.

Even though I do think there is magic in reality, it seems the reviews here find fact over fiction a bit lagging? Unattractive?

But I want to try this book too, can't wait to read it.

Silver Aria wrote: "He is not controversial, it appears, but rather his stories seem less magical and more portrayal of what reality may have been.

Even though I do think there is magic in reality, it seems the revie..."

I have not started reading yet, but I can understand people being somewhat dissapointed not to find any magic within a story about King Arthur.

Bobby (bobbej) | 1366 comments Waited for library but ain't happening...soooo (Terri, hide your eyes) I'm Kindling it!! Better than nothing. And I can easily take it with me to Oregon this week-end. Oh, by the way, did I mention I'm headed for the Bahamas next week? A little well-deserved R&R.

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Bahama's? *jealous*

Oh, that's alright, I can understand the convenience of the ebook. :-)

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Aria wrote: "He is not controversial, it appears, but rather his stories seem less magical and more portrayal of what reality may have been.

Even though I do think there is magic in reality, it seems the revie..."

I think the 'controversial writer' thought meant the actual writing itself. Is this what you meant Silver?
Because the author is liked and loathed in equal portions.

Silver Terri wrote: "Aria wrote: "He is not controversial, it appears, but rather his stories seem less magical and more portrayal of what reality may have been.

Even though I do think there is magic in reality, it se..."

Yes that is what I meant, in reading the comments I was surprised by how there were so many strong negative feelings about the author.

message 46: by Aria (new)

Aria (AriaRoseReading) | 30 comments Hmmm. Well, I will have to read this book to find out.

I should put the library in my schedule tomorrow.

What really makes so many loathe his writing?

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Personally, I find him boring. If the books were half the size I might like them better.

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments Boring seems to be a fairly common word used by those who don't like Whyte.

I guess I'll find out...if my library ever coughs up the book.

Silver I just started reading the book today, but I have not read enough yet to make any real comment upon his writing. Though thus far I am interested and looking forward to reading more.

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Terri | 19509 comments I am jealous that some of you are starting here and some are already starting the other Group Read too. :(

« previous 1 3 4 5