Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Dr. Who

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Okay I have just recently found the BBC TV show Dr.Who and I am sure I am not the first to do so. I am so sad I missed out on this eariler in my life and am now making up for lost time by completely obsessing about it!

I love Dr.Who!!! Please tell me there are a few more "Whovians" in this group?

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) Whovian and proud! But you sure did get me wondering when I saw this in a 'Movies' section... I actually felt my heart rate speed up a tad :O

Note on the more recent doctors: Don't skip out on the ninth doctor - a lot of people think it's okay to skim over him to the more 'fun' ten & eleven - but the character growth and arc is more obvious if you watch his episodes too!

message 3: by Upasana (new)

Upasana (iUpasana) | 3 comments A proud Whovian here! My favorite Doctors are Second, Fourth, TEN and Eleven! Can't wait for the new episode today.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 50 comments I came back to Dr. Who after a long hiatus. I'm old enough to remember watching the very first one, and I watched it more or less regularly from then on until the end of Jon Pertwee's reign. I lost contact with it then for various reasons, and only started watching it again from Christopher Eccleston onwards. I wouldn't miss it now. My favourite of the Doctor's foes were the Cybermen, the only ones who scared me as a child. Although the Ice Warriors were pretty scary too.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) Cybermen and Daleks scared me (Daleks no longer - except the batpoo crazy ones in the asylum!) but the Weeping Angels - nonononono NOPE!!
Tonight's episode looks brilliant fun :D I don't want to lose the Ponds but at the same time... the new companion could be interesting all things considered ;D

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Om my goodness, the Weeping Angles are the scariest, except maybe the gas mask littl eboy "Have you seen my mummy?" I shivered all through those two episode.

I would never skip the ninth Doctor, Christopher played him "Fantastically!", although David Tennet is my favorite Christopher is the close second.

♠️ TABI = 타비 ♠️ (Tabi_Card) Gahhh!!!! I need to watch this series!!!! I've heard so much about it!!!!

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter | 50 comments Although, as I said on a previous post, I've only seen the first three doctors, and from Eccleston onwards, I would say that David Tennant is my favourite, followed by John Pertwee. The current one isn't bad, but I'm reserving judgement for the moment.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I haven't finished season five yet, I am only on the fourth episode and I like Matt SMith well enough, he has his own way of doing the Doctor (Liek everyone else had) but David Tennet......Be still my heart.

ANd yes Tabi you should sooooo watch Dr.Who.

message 10: by Arissa (new)

Arissa (Booksgloriousbooks) | 4 comments ooh. Doctor Who. I don't know who my favorite would be. I haven't really gone back and watched all of them. Excited about the new season, though.

♠️ TABI = 타비 ♠️ (Tabi_Card) Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "I haven't finished season five yet, I am only on the fourth episode and I like Matt SMith well enough, he has his own way of doing the Doctor (Liek everyone else had) but David Tennet......Be still..."

I know!!!!! My friend has been raving to me about it XD

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments You might be able to get the first season from your library, or if you have "Netflicks" it is on there.

♠️ TABI = 타비 ♠️ (Tabi_Card) Nah...don't have Netflix lol...and yeah I'll see if my library has it XD

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments My family and I just got it and I am so thirlled, 90 percent becuase Dr. WHo is on there :D

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 11 comments I LOVE Doctor Who! The only bad thing about it is that I have yet to meet anyone that has ever watched it...or even really heard of it for that matter :( it's a tragedy.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh that is so sad. I thought I was the only one in my samll comunity for a while but then I found out my two good friends both watch it, they just never mentioned it because they didn't want to be too geeky. So now I get to talk about it all the time.

I was so thrilled when I found out David Tennant (the tenth doctor) was actually Scottich! I love Scotland.

message 18: by Lora (new)

Lora (lorabanora) My 'First Doctor' was Tom Baker way back when. I gather that Dr. Who has been around in some form or other back into the sixties. Why, that means the Timelord is as old as I am, LOL!
My husband and I enjoy the show, and we've started letting our teen watch- she loves Matt Smith.
So, in the ether, you're not alone, Christa!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Yay!! I love Dr.Who and I don't think I can say it enough. It is just good plain fun with just a touch of scariness in some episodes to keep it interesting. I was absolutly tarrified of the Weeping Angles and the Gas Mask children. So there are some parts that I wouldn't let younge children watch it, but 13-14 or older should be good.

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 11 comments The gas mask children are terrifying! I had to keep a pillow handy to hide my face behind for that one!
And I also completely agree about the weeping angels. I made the mistake of using one of those episodes to try to convert my dad to Whovian ways...long story short, he deemed it stupid and then filled my next few days with creepy statues everywhere. I'm a little bit scarred.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments HAhahaha, yeah bad choice there. I would use the Werewolf episode personally. That one is amazing, or the one were Donna and Dr. met again, Partners in Crime I think it is called.

message 22: by Haley (new)

Haley Oh my gosh, DR. WHO!!!! I can't believe I missed the creation of this topic!! It's SO GOOD. I started watching it on Netflix too because I hear so much about it, and I flew through the seasons! I just got to the first Matt Smith season, and while I like him I have yet to warm up to him in the same way I did Nine and Ten. Though, I've only watched one of the specials between the Ten and Eleven seasons—because they took them off Netflix like two days after I found them! I was so upset. Maybe they would help in my opinion of them.

And I'm glad you guys didn't skip Nine!! SO many people do, and I absolutely adored him and his relationship with Rose (who I miss terribly :). I wish he had been on longer than one season, even though I loved Tennant.

Also: Weeping Angels. I was terrified of those things! And while I haven't gotten to the explanation for 'The Silence" yet, I've heard that's pretty scary too.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Matt Smith has really put the brakes on how fast my bro and I were flying through the seasons. I feel like he is too feminate and the women just run all over him. Almost like he became the side in their TV show. It's hard to describe. I like him well enough, but the support charters are so annoying! So my bro and I are going back through the season.

I love Tenant, but I really loved Christoper as well, they are tied as my favorites.

message 24: by Haley (new)

Haley The same thing happened to me! I got through the Nine and Ten seasons in weeks, and now I think it's been a full week since I've watched an episode... I want to like him as much as his predecessors and as much as other people seem to, I just don't yet. I think seeing he and River together more will help, and seeing him with Rory AND Amy should help, too. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh I hate hate hate Rivers!!! Cannot stand her. Rory is a total wimp (typical display of a modern man in a show run by women) and Amy has a fake!!! Scottish accent. For real!? Why would they do that?!

message 26: by Haley (new)

Haley Oh, see I like Amy, and I'm curious about River. I don't understand yet why the Doctor thinks she's good enough to marry, but I'm waiting to be awed :) I haven't really gotten to any episodes with Rory yet, I just know he's coming.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I was so disappointed in Amy. I have loved the other companions, Rose, Martha and lovely Donna, who granted is a little pushy, but she is so funny to compensate. Amy is just boring and nagging.

message 28: by Haley (new)

Haley I loved Rose the most, but I did love Donna. She was wonderful :) Honestly, I didn't care that much about Martha. Maybe because I was still so worked up over Rose leaving, but, while she was great and smart and I like that she became a soldier, Martha was never a favorite of mine. So far—keeping in mind I'm only a couple episodes into the season—I think Amy is cute. I think it's adorable that she waited so long and was convinced The Doctor was real. I think she's smart :P

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I liked Martha, but confess to not adoring her. She didn't have any strong characteristics that caused her to stand out. She was super nice, had a great smile and got along well with everyone, but I love the fact she went on to battle evil with Torchwood, and then as a freelancer. She's an amazing charter, but gets better after she if off the show.

message 30: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Christa - Ron Paul 2016 wrote: "Matt Smith has really put the brakes on how fast my bro and I were flying through the seasons. I feel like he is too feminate and the women just run all over him. Almost like he became the side in ..."

David Tenant was the Doctor that married the Doctor's daughter. I really got a kick out of that story (http://www.aoltv.com/2011/01/05/docto...)

I think all the new doctor's are pretty good, but grew up watching Tom Baker as the Doctor. For years, I couldn't watch a doctor without a scarf!

Right now, I'm enjoying the new season and I think that Clara Oswald is going to make a pretty interesting new companion.

message 31: by Haley (new)

Haley Gene wrote: "Christa - Ron Paul 2016 wrote: "Matt Smith has really put the brakes on how fast my bro and I were flying through the seasons. I feel like he is too feminate and the women just run all over him. Al..."

Haha, I know! I think that's awesome. I was always holding out the hope that she'd be in another episode, but she wasn't :P

I haven't watched any Classic episodes yet, so I'm a huge fan of all the new Doctors. I finally watched the specials in between Ten and Eleven, so I got all my closure an can officially appreciate Matt Smith and the job he does :) Though Nine is still my favorite.

I haven't gotten to season 7 yet (I'm finishing six now), but I'm interested to see Clara. There's lots of speculation about her right now. I think the popular current theories are that she's Ten and Rose's daughter from the parallel universe OR that she's Jack's daughter. I doubt it's either one, but cool thoughts!

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (BlondeBookAddict) | 1 comments I love doctor who. I have seen each episode multiple times.

I also hate it when people forget Christopher. He was an amazing doctor even though he only got to show that for one season.

Ten will always be my favorite. How can you not love Tennant and his amazing hair.

I also loved Davies writing. I think his episodes hold so much more depth to them. Moffat is good at writing crazy episodes and linking story lines but Davies made us all love Rose and Tens relationship. He made us fall in love with the doctor and see how hard his life and travels really were for him. He made the doctor both light and dark, something not as clear with Moffats writing.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Christoper, the unsung Doctor! Man I should write a poem about that. Loved him!

I also really liked Tom Baker. My bro and I were watching some "Old" doctor who and by far he was our favorite. Great Doctor.

message 34: by Haley (new)

Haley Stephanie wrote: "I love doctor who. I have seen each episode multiple times.

I also hate it when people forget Christopher. He was an amazing doctor even though he only got to show that for one season.

Ten will..."

There are so many people who skip Eccleston because he was only in one season and they all want to see David Tennant! I can't believe it! You miss all the build of the wonderful Rose/Doctor relationship, and Christopher is a genius. I wouldn't love the show as much as I do if I hadn't seen him. Not that I don't think David and Matt are perfect, too, I just... Ah, Nine! I miss him.

I agree, Stephanie. I think Moffat is who manages to make the series continue to be great, but Davies ALWAYS makes his episodes and characters great.

Also, is anyone else DYING to see the 50th anniversary episode? Billie and David are coming back (wish means I'm PRAYING we get to see how happy human Ten and Rose are, plus I want to see their reactions to Matt)! I'm hoping Christopher will get snuck in somewhere, somehow, but no word on that :P

Also also :D There's going to be a Twelfth Doctor soon! Matt only signed on through I think Christmas of this year. I guess the writers already have in mind who this next regeneration is going to be, but they haven't shared.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh that should be so much fun! I was wondering when they were going to get a new doctor, I am still struggling through season six, really need to get that done so I will be up to speed again.

message 36: by Haley (new)

Haley So far I'm liking season six. I have to keep pausing episodes to work through the Melody/River bits, so that I can keep timelines straight and all that, but I'm really enjoying it now. And I'm loving Rory more and more all the time!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh I'm sorry I meant season five. But I keep hearing how awesome Rory becomes so I am going to press onwards. he is such a little girl right now it drives me nuts! But it is suppose to get better so I am determined to finish watching as much as netflixs has.

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan (Celtic_Girl) | 71 comments Haley wrote: "Also, is anyone else DYING to see the 50th anniversary episode? Billie and David are coming back (wish means I'm PRAYING we get to see how happy human Ten and Rose are, plus I want to see their reactions to Matt)! I'm hoping Christopher will get snuck in somewhere, somehow, but no word on that :P"

I'm hoping that's the way they will be back on the show too! I would love to know what their life together has been like and whether they got married. I'd also love to see Rose's reaction to Matt.

message 39: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Saturday, November 23rd!! "The Day of the Doctor" - 50th anniversary episode. Mark your calendars!

message 40: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Newtown (SophiaNewtown) | 10 comments Who doesn't love Doctor Who? From the first episode over 50 years ago to today it is absolutely brilliant, vibrant, unique and completely unexplainable to anyone who hasn't watched it!!!

message 41: by Lora (new)

Lora (lorabanora) I just had to buy that 50th anniversary dvd for my daughter. I've watched it a few times, myself, and whenever Tom Baker appears, I get tears in my eyes. That's where I'm at with Doctor Who.

message 42: by Angela (new)

Angela Tenore (Bookishlie) I have not really watched it. I must confess I am more of a reader than tv show watcher. :(

message 43: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Lora, Tom Baker was my Doctor, too! I was SO excited in the 50th when I first saw the scarf emerge, and was delighted to actually see him in the episode.

Whenever I meet a Whovian, it's so cool to find out who "their"doctor is. I've met so many whose doctor is David Tennant, but I have to say that I think everyone one of them has something cool to offer.

By the way, if you liked the 50th anniversary, the five(ish) doctors reboot is a MUST see.

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela Tenore (Bookishlie) Ok so I must get on Netflix and check these out!

message 45: by Lora (new)

Lora (lorabanora) Gene, that was hilarious.
Angela, I can actually imagine situations where you might feel the need to apologize for such a thing- heaven knows I had a few years of torment at school for being a reader (some of that famous socialization they gloat about in public school). But here all I can say is that I celebrate your reading!!

message 46: by Angela (new)

Angela Tenore (Bookishlie) Lora, you should see me bookcases! Based on being a reader I thought I would relate to Fahrenheit 451 but not so much.

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela Tenore (Bookishlie) Lora, you should see me bookcases! Based on being a reader I thought I would relate to Fahrenheit 451 but not so much.

message 48: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Newtown (SophiaNewtown) | 10 comments Farenheit 451 is an amazing book without a huge bookcase! ;)

I don't think, there is a choice between reading and watching movies\tv shows - I love both AND music!

The only one problem I have with movies and books - is when I ask someone "Have you read ---?" and he replies "I've watched the movie based on it, so I don't see the point of reading it now". WHAT?!?!?!?! Usually after I watched a movie based on a book - I go and read the book!!!!!!!!!!

message 49: by Lora (new)

Lora (lorabanora) So Angela, what did not click for you when you read Farenheit 451? Have you read other Bradbury books?I remember the first time I read it, I was put off by something vague that I never quite worked out, and later on it worked for me better. Never figured out the difference- maybe when I was really young I wanted more action, or I was so put off by burning down an old house full of books, or...??? I'm curious what your reaction was.
Sophia- sometimes my daughter has that experience- if she sees the movie first, it 'ruins' the experience of reading the book for her. Mostly she likes to read the book before she sees the movie- if she ever sees the movie. She really, really hates when there are major changes in a movie that don't match the book. She kind of goes off for a few days, ranting about it, especially if she liked the book.

message 50: by Angela (new)

Angela Tenore (Bookishlie) I have not read any other Ray Bradbury. So maybe that's it. I am a definitive ending kind of girl. So probably was the ending that didn't work for me. Also I am pretty cynical and real life so intend toward happier endings. Fahrenheit just seemed overly negative and sad.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.