The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Did anyone else not like the movie?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, so everyone I've talked to thinks that the movie is bloody brilliant and was the perfect adaptation of the book.
I know that they have to change/speed up some things because it is a movie (although it would be nice if they didn't have to) but some of the details that would hardly take half a minute to include would have been really nice. Like the fact that Thresh hits Clove with a stone, not banging her head against the Cornucopia. Or the fact that there is no hovercraft at the beginning when they are out in the woods. Or the fact that Jennifer Lawrence cannot sing. I mean, give her some lessons at least!
What did you think about the movie?

Peter I personally thought this was one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book. The book was an intriguing and entertaining story, but the writing style and prose was not that great, in my opinion.
The movie on the other hand, I thought was a masterful piece of work. It found it to be very effective at portraying the different settings, and just great storytelling. The cinematography was excellent, the acting superb, especially by the protagonist.

Just my opinion.

Avani Actually... I was disappointed by the movie. It wasn't a clear adaptation, lacking in some explanations, and some of the acting was questionable. Personally, I really liked Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, and Elizabeth Banks as Effie, but that's about it. I don't think her singing was too bad; a girl living in dystopian America, in District 12, isn't going to be the best singer ever. I thought the imperfections in her singing voice made it more real and raw. All in all, Jennifer was one of the only highlights of the movie for me.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

But Katniss is supposed to have an utterly amazing voice.

message 5: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Catalina *The Cat Herself* wrote: "But Katniss is supposed to have an utterly amazing voice."

didnt even know she can sing.

message 6: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia did that show it in the movie? or did it only say that she can sing, that in book?

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Personally I thought the movie pretty much sucked. My fiance, who had not read the books, didn't like it either. I read the book beforehand and personally thought the book was great.

Ethan I thought that the storyline of the movie could have used some improvement, but I also realize the fact that there could never be a movie that was true enought to the book. so If they fixed some of the camera angles it would have been good.

Rose YES!!!!!!!!!!! i liked the movie, but i hated it at the same time after reading the books!

Halle You guys have to understand that without writing, you cannot explain an entire story line. Expecting someone to explain all of Panem and what goes on there is unrealistic. I think they did a fantastic job of helping no-readers understand the situation. The angles and focus of the cameras were cool as well.

Daniel Catalina *The Cat Herself* wrote: "Okay, so everyone I've talked to thinks that the movie is bloody brilliant and was the perfect adaptation of the book.
I know that they have to change/speed up some things because it is a movie (al..."

They also changed how she got the Mocking Jay pin

Morgan I personally loved it! A few changes kinda got on my nerves, but over all it was a good movie. And it was pretty annoying how people who didn't read the book didn't get that Katniss wasn't actually in love with Peeta in this movie.

Halle Every time they flashed to Gale's face, part of me broke off and died.

Nicole Mo wrote: "I personally loved it! A few changes kinda got on my nerves, but over all it was a good movie. And it was pretty annoying how people who didn't read the book didn't get that Katniss wasn't actually..."

I watched the movie before I read the book. I didn't really understand the whole relationship between Peeta and Katniss then. I didn't know who she liked. When I read the book, I was like oh! I get it now!

Vanessa I also felt the movie wasn't good, mainly because it looked like a low budget film. I liked the choice in actors though.

message 16: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml I hated it. Compared to the book it was terrible. Peeta got on my nerves the most, I just wanted to kick Hutcherson in the shins; he was way to wimpy. I also got really mad that he doesn't loose his leg. They took out all the harshness of the books, there's no sense of danger. It was just a cheap hollywood knockoff.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Eml wrote: "I hated it. Compared to the book it was terrible. Peeta got on my nerves the most, I just wanted to kick Hutcherson in the shins; he was way to wimpy. I also got really mad that he doesn't loose hi..."

Yeah, the movie destroyed the whole "complete government control" bit of it and made it just like, "yeah it's the hunger games oooh it's scary"! It annoyed me so much.

Valeria Well, I think the movie was a brilliant piece of work as someone has already stated above. And the book was great.
You know why? Because movies and books are different types of art. And I really feel ashamed for people who don't understand that movies have their own rhythm, that there are certain limitations as well as advantages. And books are written by one person, movie is made by at least 3 different people (the script writer, the director, the editor). And everyone wants to be highly professional in what they are doing. Everyone is bringing something new to the movie.
So I say relax. And have a look at a movie as a separate piece. Enjoy! Don't be so focused on details. So he hits her against the cornucopia in the movie.. big deal. It was needed for some reason.
Although I agree it would have been nicer if it were scarier a bit. But on the other hand the book itself is not that scary. It's pretty girlish.

Halle five for you glen coco. you go glen coco

message 20: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Halle wrote: "five for you glen coco. you go glen coco"

that is good point there.

message 21: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia that just say about everything.

Halle I thought so. it was similar to my point of view so it just had to be brilliant.

Athens I thought the film adaptation was quite good, knowing it emphasized some things and less so others. There might have been some "subtractions" from the plotline, but wow, you have to give the production team a ton of credit for NOT changing the plot with disregard, not at any point at all. Restated, I could see zero significant "additions" to the story outline.

Secondly, to my view, Jennifer Lawrence was excellent in her role. Her "look of fear" was absolutely convincing - she looked fantastic in the part, and again my view, hats-off to that piece of casting. To my thinking, the closest thing to a weak spot was the casting for Peta, as others have stated over the past year.

All in all, a great movie.

Halle I heard that the producers were going to pull a Percy Jackson and make the movie about life before Prim was selected. It would include Katniss and Gale meeting, and the Avox girl. So next time you're gonna complain, remember: we could've watched a documentary on Panem if they hadn't done such an amazing job.

Athens Vanessa wrote: "I also felt the movie wasn't good, mainly because it looked like a low budget film. I liked the choice in actors though."

Yes, on that low-budget look, the shakey-cam thing did get a bit irritating, especially on first viewing. I loved the movie, but I think I understand and agree with this point.

Halle I loved the cinematography. The cameras added suspense in my view. It also made the bloody murder points possible to stomach.

Athens On a roll here a bit, her singing was perfect for what was needed. She is a normal person and this was not supposed to be a Broadway musical. I liked that it was messed up a little bit, because it was more real.

Valeria ."Yes, on that low-budget look, the shakey-cam thing did get..."

Oh yes, I almost forgot the shakey camera effect they had there. I think it was great, because it brought sense of being there. Just as if you were walking beside the people there. You know, when you walk your vision is not still, it bounces!
I watched it on the big screen, it looked stunning.

Halle I'm pretty sure we agree that it made her more real. I love this movie, but I did have one real problem with it. The script made Katniss too nice. She was much meaner in the book.

message 30: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Valeria wrote: "."Yes, on that low-budget look, the shakey-cam thing did get..."

Oh yes, I almost forgot the shakey camera effect they had there. I think it was great, because it brought sense of being there. Jus..."

yea me 2 i watching on the big screen, it was really great.

message 31: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia i read the book as well. but there was more 2 the book then the movie.

message 32: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Halle wrote: "Eml wrote: "I hated it. Compared to the book it was terrible. Peeta got on my nerves the most, I just wanted to kick Hutcherson in the shins; he was way to wimpy. I also got really mad that he does..."

yea maybe he was bit on the wimpy part here and there, in some ways.

message 33: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia not selling any cake, at this moment...

Halle omg i was so confused. please ignore that comment. i agree completely

Daniel Paul wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "I also felt the movie wasn't good, mainly because it looked like a low budget film. I liked the choice in actors though."

Yes, on that low-budget look, the shakey-cam thing did get..."

I see a lot of people mention the shakey camera. I did not even notice it much, nobody i know that's seen it noticed it.

Nicole Daniel wrote: "Paul wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "I also felt the movie wasn't good, mainly because it looked like a low budget film. I liked the choice in actors though."

Yes, on that low-budget look, the shakey-cam ..."

same here

Godiva3 Erin wrote: "Personally I thought the movie pretty much sucked. My fiance, who had not read the books, didn't like it either. I read the book beforehand and personally thought the book was great."

I totally agree! And at the movie they left so many important things out...

message 38: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Halle wrote: "I heard that the producers were going to pull a Percy Jackson and make the movie about life before Prim was selected. It would include Katniss and Gale meeting, and the Avox girl. So next time you'..."

Actually they were going to pull a real Percy Jackson, and have Gale pretend to be an Avox and follow Katniss to the Capitol.

A.l.s. Peace wrote: "did that show it in the movie? or did it only say that she can sing, that in book?"

yes, the book says that when she sings everything stands still, something along those lines. It's her singing that makes Peeta notice her in the first place. For me it wasn't a big issue. The parts of the movie that she had to sing were emotionally charged. I think it would be difficult to sing in those situations and not have trouble getting the words out.

Halle ^^ I like you. You're logical and not raving about tiny differences in details.

A.l.s. Paul wrote: "I thought the film adaptation was quite good, knowing it emphasized some things and less so others. There might have been some "subtractions" from the plotline, but wow, you have to give the produ..."
I agree with that. Hutcherson was the weak link, but I wasn't all that impressed with Harrelson's performance either. I thought the people of District 12 looked a little too well fed. I thought they were supposed to be constantly on the brink of starvation. Mainly I was fine with the movie I just had some minor complaints about it.

Halle Okay I did have a problem with Jennifer Lawrence. Every aspect of her was perfect for Katniss except her face. It was a little too full for a girl who is never full and always active. But I still love Jennifer as Katniss.

message 43: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml There were no consequences for them being in the hunger games. They looked exactly the same going in, as they did coming out. Why didn't Peeta loose his leg? That's huge! It affects him throughout the entire series; why he has such a problem in Catching Fire. The only reason I can come up with, is as a Hollywood movie, they need girls to fawn over Peeta, and people would be less likely to do so because he’s crippled. It’s a sad fact, but it’s been an argument thrown around for years in the Peeta vs. Gale debate. What they did with the Mockingjay pin was stupid as well. If Katniss got a pin to protect Prim, then she would want it with her while she was away. She never would have accepted it back. Going in, her number one fear was that Prim would die of starvation, or not be protected while she was gone. You guys say they just changed little details, but it’s those details that express who the characters are. It shows their character development and reflects on the circumstances they were born into.

message 44: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 16, 2012 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie Bolen I liked the movie but there were some key topics left out the muttations were one my favorite parts of the book and they weren't even touched in the movie.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like the movie cause all the original hype (I saw the movie like 2 weeks after it came out) set really high standards, and I was let down.

Fatin The movie sucked. The shaky-cam thing was just horrible. They turned it into a bloody love triangle, took out all the violence, and basically aimed it at tweens.
This movie should have been a r-rated movie that properly explored the horrors of a cruel dystopian world, with all the fight sequences shown.

ѕтαяк the movie was ok, It is just that they over advertised it. It was a good movie, just it didn't live up to it's expectations

Katrina yeah i agree. can you believe it was 3 hrs long!

ѕтαяк no! I was literally squirming in my seat cause my legs fell asleep

Katrina me 2!!

« previous 1