Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Anyone else here a baking junkie? I love to bake and I've been looking around on the web for a group that wants to bake together. I hadn't found anything that seemed like I wanted to join so I thought I might ask if there were people here who might want to do that sort of thing?

I know we have a lot of diverse interests here.. so whatcha say?

message 2: by Lindsay (last edited Sep 14, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Lindsay (roguefire) | 85 comments I'm a weird one - I love baking (cooking altogether actually) but I am not a fan of sweets and tend to eat gluten free. LOL So I bake for parties, coworkers, friends, etc. We both win!

I'm actually known for sticking booze into my baking - I learned from the best though!

The Boozy Baker 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets by Lucy Baker

message 3: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 23 comments I'm an architect, but my boss usually introduces me to new people by talking about my baking!!! Last year when we went to PAX East I did Mario cookies for the 'cookie brigade', and I discovered I don't love to give out the cookies, it was a lot of fun to bake as part of a community...

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon  | 91 comments I'm a bit of a baker, but I tend to trend toward bread rather than cakes and sweet stuff.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Bailey (klbailey) | 86 comments I LOVE to bake. Lately I've been trying to perfect French macarons. After 5 batches I think I've *almost* got them right.

message 6: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments I bake all kinds of things, bread, cakes, cookies, pies, both sweet and savory. I'm interested in it all. :)

If a few of you are interested we could set up a group to bake various things. And if any of you are in a local VF group maybe you can take stuff to the meeting!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (medusasmirror) | 34 comments I do breads and sweets. One of my favorite things to make is cranberry challah, but then I have to find someone to eat the extra loaves. ^.^ My mini cheesecakes and the Guinness cake are probably the things I get asked to make most often.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon  | 91 comments Ok it's official this thread is now making me hungry.

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  | 15 comments I love baking. Nothing crazy, the yummiest thing I've made lately would be a chocolate banana cake.

message 10: by Seawood (new)

Seawood | 176 comments My motto in life is:

"If in doubt, bake. When happy, bake. What the hell, let's bake".

I am a cake junkie, for sure, but more than that I find the whole process very calming - and I'm enjoying baking with my girls and seeingt their confidence grow, too. My 6yo made rhubarb & apple crumble from scratch all by herself yesterday and it was wonderful.

I bake a lot of gluten free these days because I mostly bake for my RPG group and several members have real trouble with it. We absolutely love Red Velvet And Chocolate Heartache - I've made about half the recipes so far and never had a bad one yet.

message 11: by Jute (last edited Sep 16, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

Jute | 238 comments Caroline wrote: "My motto in life is:

"If in doubt, bake. When happy, bake. What the hell, let's bake".

I am a cake junkie, for sure, but more than that I find the whole process very calming - and I'm enjoying ba..."

My husband's boss has celiac disease so I have baked a number of gluten free treats for him. I'm always looking for more good stuff to bake.

btw...Great motto!

message 12: by Seawood (new)

Seawood | 176 comments It is an absolutely fantastic book, I'd highly recommend it - we did the Red Velvet cake this week and it was phenomenal. It's also great if you're low-fat because most of the moisture is supplied by vegetables - sounds weird but it works amazingly well.

message 13: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Here's what I made yesterday. Peanut Butter Brownies

message 14: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 48 comments I like baking too--a lot. Since the recession, cooking has been a way for me to save money by preparing my own food. It's just cheaper than eating in a restaurant or ordering take out.

But I adore sweets and have had a sweet tooth since very young. To keep from getting obese and rotting out my teeth, I share with my friends. They certainly appreciate my efforts and I've learned to stretch my abilities to make vegan dishes and non-sweets for the diabetic. It's been a learning experience.

As for meeting with a baking group, have you tried searching meetup.com? They have groups for lots of things. If you don't find one that fits your needs, you can always start a group. Just make certain you have enough people interested before beginning.

message 15: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Marsha wrote: "I like baking too--a lot. Since the recession, cooking has been a way for me to save money by preparing my own food. It's just cheaper than eating in a restaurant or ordering take out.

But I adore..."

What I'm looking for is an online baking group. If the people who have posted here are interested, then I would love for us to have a group that basically challenges us and supports each other.

If people are interested I would be happy to start such a group.

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon  | 91 comments Sign me up,
on a side note I'm hunting for a good brownie recipe and suggestions?

message 17: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Jon wrote: "Sign me up,
on a side note I'm hunting for a good brownie recipe and suggestions?"

Do you like fudgy/chewy or cakelike?

message 18: by Seawood (new)

Seawood | 176 comments I'm in :)

Probably next monday I'll be having a go at the Beetroot Brownies from Red Velvet - gluten-free - if anyone's interested. I also have a proper Evil Brownie recipe which is delicious. No idea where that's from, though, my BIL gave it to me.

message 19: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 48 comments Jute wrote: "Marsha wrote: "I like baking too--a lot. Since the recession, cooking has been a way for me to save money by preparing my own food. It's just cheaper than eating in a restaurant or ordering take ou..."

There must be tons of online baking groups. I've lifted recipes and suggestions from quite a few of them. One was very helpful when I asked what I could do with two very large bottles of unopened White Zinfandel that a couple was discarding. (The suggestions included using them as drain cleaner, e.g.)

Are these not enough or are you looking for a group specifically formed from Good Reads members? I'm certain I can contribute if the latter is the case.

message 20: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments There are tons of sites where people are baking, but I didn't find tons of groups. More than that I'm looking for people I have at least something in common with...I thought this group might be that.

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (Signy) | 11 comments Sara wrote: "I do breads and sweets. One of my favorite things to make is cranberry challah, but then I have to find someone to eat the extra loaves. ^.^ My mini cheesecakes and the Guinness cake are probabl..."

Guinness cake? Now that sounds right up my lane for tasty. I'd love to get a hold of that recipe.

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (Signy) | 11 comments Been a while since I checked in so just seeing this thread... I'm a baker too and now that the nasty heat wave seems to have broken in Iowa it's that season again. The item I'm asked to make the most is cornbread which is quick, easy, and ever so tasty. My challenge lately is baking cornbread for a friend of mine who recently learned she has a bunch of food (and other things) allergies... to the point she's spent years dealing with mysterious pain, swelling, etc. So I had to come up with a good tasting recipe that was gluten free, egg free, refined sugar free (and I refuse to use those fake sugar substitute nastiness), dairy free, almond free... There's more to that list but these are the ones that impact the cornbread. I even shocked myself at how good this one turned out. Heidi certainly enjoyed it.

Crankyfacedknitter | 27 comments Yes, bake all the things!!! I'm working on my pie crust mastery right now. So far I've found that using alcohol instead of water helps tons with the flakiness. I like using Apple Jack in crusts for fruit pies, especially apple.

message 24: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Crankyfacedknitter wrote: "Yes, bake all the things!!! I'm working on my pie crust mastery right now. So far I've found that using alcohol instead of water helps tons with the flakiness. I like using Apple Jack in crusts for..."

I've been tempted to try this technique but I haven't so far. Does the alcohol impart any noticeable flavor?

message 25: by Seawood (new)

Seawood | 176 comments Joanne wrote: "Guinness cake? Now that sounds right up my lane for tasty. I'd love to get a hold of that recipe. "

I made Guiness cake as my NYE contribution this year. It was VERY popular, lol. I think it was a Nigella Lawson recipe.

message 26: by Becca (new)

Becca (herblackwings29) | 85 comments I tend to do sweet baking for my husband to take to work and leave in the staff room. For home usually it's cookies, pizza doughs, or sourdough bread.

message 27: by Coral (new)

Coral (coralm) | 58 comments Baking is one of my favorite things to do once the cooler weather hits. I'm making pumpkin oat muffins tomorrow morning!

I make breads and cupcakes mostly. Focaccia is my favorite bread and chocolate with peanut butter frosting is my favorite cupcake.

Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, And Savor... is one of my favorite baking cookbooks, though I'll admit I haven't had the nerve to try the pastries in it yet, but the breads are wonderful.

message 28: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 48 comments Crankyfacedknitter wrote: "Yes, bake all the things!!! I'm working on my pie crust mastery right now. So far I've found that using alcohol instead of water helps tons with the flakiness. I like using Apple Jack in crusts for..."

I have NEVER heard about alcoholic substitutes in pastry and I've been baking for years. o.O I've heard of using Crisco instead of butter; many pastry makers swear by it. But alcohol is a new wrinkle.

message 29: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Marsha wrote: "I have NEVER heard about alcoholic substitutes in pastry and I've been baking for years. o.O I've heard of using Crisco instead of butter; many pastry makers swear by it. But alcohol is a new wrinkle. "

Yeah it helps with the flakiness because of some scientific thing where it adds moisture but doesn't add to the gluten formation...

Crankyfacedknitter | 27 comments Jute wrote: "I've been tempted to try this technique but I haven't so far. Does the alcohol impart any noticeable flavor? "

I don't think it does. Certainly with the filling (I like it on the tart side) right up against it, there's not a huge flavor difference, but with the little left-over crust pieces I can tell there's just a hint of something. I use the Apple Jack for textural reasons; there's very little water so I can work the dough a bit more thoroughly without worrying about developing gluten and making the dough tough or mealy, and it evaporates faster than water so you get lovely pockets of flakiness in the crust.

Crankyfacedknitter | 27 comments Marsha wrote: "I have NEVER heard about alcoholic substitutes in pastry and I've been baking for years. o.O I've heard of using Crisco instead of butter; many pastry makers swear by it. But alcohol is a new wrinkle. "

I think I got it from Alton Brown, only a few years ago. Probably on Good Eats? You should give it a try, see what you think!

As for vegetable shortening, that seems to be personal preference. I find butter crusts very tasty but they fall apart so easily. These days I sub in a 1/4 cup of leaf lard or Crisco to 3/4 cup of butter, and that works out pretty well for me.

message 32: by Marsha (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:25AM) (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 48 comments Crankyfacedknitter wrote: "Marsha wrote: "I have NEVER heard about alcoholic substitutes in pastry and I've been baking for years. o.O I've heard of using Crisco instead of butter; many pastry makers swear by it. But alcohol..."

I don't have a tv and I've never had cable. So the only place I've watched Alton Brown is on YouTube. He's left so many episodes that I went through them in a blur; little was able to stick.

But I created a couple of playlists devoted exclusively to "Good Eats" so maybe I'll go back through them and re-watch the one dealing with pie crusts.

message 33: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 10 comments I made my grandma's pumpkin bread day before yesterday. The fall weather made me do it.

I made a light caraway rye bread the day before that to go with the last of the cucumbers from the garden (cucumber-dill-cream cheese sandwiches on rye are the bomb). I love using my bread machine to knead the dough for me, then shaping and finishing it up in the oven.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 111 comments I like cooking..Been trying to perfect my sushi skills. It's fun >:D

message 35: by Jute (last edited Sep 26, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Jute | 238 comments For any who are interested I've started a Goodreads group...

Baking and Books

message 36: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 10 comments Jute, the URL of that group is just the one for the main GR page!

message 37: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Jensownzoo wrote: "Jute, the URL of that group is just the one for the main GR page!"

Thanks! I have fixed it.

message 38: by Seawood (new)

Seawood | 176 comments Jute wrote: "For any who are interested I've started a Goodreads group...

Baking and Books"

You bad woman, I'm supposed to be studying :P will come back and post later. :)

message 39: by Liisa (new)

Liisa | 2 comments Summer is my expanding vegie garden, but winter is for baking. I mostly like making a breads. I love the smell of yeast.

message 40: by AV (new)

AV (Bookishpuff) | 9 comments I'm a pastry chef so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me :D

message 41: by Rune (new)

Rune | 43 comments here is what I have made during the week of September 23th.

monday- test batch of peanut butter chocolate balls (failed)

Tuesday- 1 )Fresh Strawberries dipped in milk chocolate.
2) Black and white chocolate cupcakes with a white chocolate icing.
3) cherry and dark chocolate cupcakes
4) White chocolate and raspberry cupcakes dusted with icing sugar

Wednesday- Banana bread with mixed nuts

Alicia do you know what may have gone wrong with the peanut butter balls? cause I attempted it twice and it just didn't work out.

message 42: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Please feel free to join us over on Our VF Spinoff Baking Group

message 43: by AV (new)

AV (Bookishpuff) | 9 comments Rune wrote: "here is what I have made during the week of September 23th.

monday- test batch of peanut butter chocolate balls (failed)

Tuesday- 1 )Fresh Strawberries dipped in milk chocolate.
2) Black and w..."

Rune, What exactly was wrong with your PB balls?

message 44: by AV (new)

AV (Bookishpuff) | 9 comments Jute wrote: "Please feel free to join us over on Our VF Spinoff Baking Group"

Joined ^_^

message 45: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 48 comments Last night I finished a Banana Dessert Pizza from my old cookbook that used condensed milk in every recipe. It looks weird but it tastes great. Best of all, this is a pizza where you can eat the crust without choking!

message 46: by Julie (new)

Julie (subtleseasonings) | 88 comments I love to bake, in the past I kept a food blog but it's fallen by the wayside for the last month or two. Here is a link to the desserts I've made, if anyone is interested. http://www.subtleseasonings.com/searc...

I mostly just find other recipes and maybe slightly modify them. I'm not at the point yet where I'm inventing my own recipes.