Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > November 2012 Themed Read HUMOUR

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Please nominate a theme/genre for November. I expect some of us will be Christimas shopping by then so I'm going to nominate HUMOUR, to counter the stress!

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric (beefdurkee) | 122 comments Chris wrote: "Please nominate a theme/genre for November. I expect some of us will be Christimas shopping by then so I'm going to nominate HUMOUR, to counter the stress!"

I second that nomination.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol | 53 comments Chris wrote: "Please nominate a theme/genre for November. I expect some of us will be Christimas shopping by then so I'm going to nominate HUMOUR, to counter the stress!"

Just what we need when we're stressed. Brilliant idea

message 4: by Chris (last edited Sep 18, 2012 04:00AM) (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Sounds good to me too! Still have The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to complete...

message 5: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments I think humour would be a good contrast with the horror/ghost theme for October.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Humour is the theme for November since there were no other nominations. Please post your ideas and chosen books as you decide on them.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 53 comments I'm going to read Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair. I've heard both goods and bad reports so want to see for myself. The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I think I'm going for Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice in Our Campaign Against the Fairy Kingdom, Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop And Other Practical Advice in Our Campaign Against the Fairy Kingdom by Reginald Bakeley , by Reginald Bakeley. It looks daft enough to appeal to my sense of humour.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 53 comments Finished The Eyre Affair and really enjoyed it. Am looking forward to the next one.

message 10: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments I'm still trying to make my mind up! I'd better get a move on.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Have gone for The Portable Door by Tom Holt, giving it a quick skim-read as I've already read it, and reposted a review I'd published in print a few years ago. Luckily my impression of it hadn't changed! Though I suppose it's more whimsy-cum-fantasy than outright humour.