Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > November 2012 Group Read - The Vesuvius Club

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Please nominate book titles for the November book of the month. The poll will be available 1st October to provide plenty of time to order/loan books.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 53 comments How about something classical and strange at the same time?
Grahame-Smith, Seth
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

message 3: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments My suggestion is The Vesuvius Club

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I'm going to nominate the first book in a new series by a new author Revelation. I'll fess up to having a copy from the author himself, but it's a book that would have appeared on my radar soon enough.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Any more nominations for November? Look at those huge TBRs and find something exciting for us all to have a go at. Please consider whether the book stands alone if you nominate a book from a series.
Thank you.
Chris

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Mark wrote: "Yes The Twenty-Year Death by Ariel S. Winter simply because it sounds awesome. Well it stood out for me anyway."

Sounds good Mark, We've now got four for nomination.

message 7: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 38 comments Is it still humor as the theme?

message 8: by Chris (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Shelli, our theme and the book of the month are different reads. We choose a theme, then discuss whatever book we pick as individuals. We also pick a specific book for the book of the month, not linked to the theme (although we once pick two that coincided by accident).

You can nominate any book you fancy for the BoM and any genre for the theme. Well have two separate polls at the end of the month. Currently humour appears to be favourite for November, but there's plenty of time to nominate.

Not sure if that made sense, hope so!

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Any more nominations for November Book of the Month? I'll create a poll on Sunday if you want to add to the list, there is still time.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments The November poll will open tomorrow 1st October, we have four books this time around, all quite different. The poll will be open until 10th October to enable the sourcing of whichever book wins out.

message 11: by Chris (last edited Oct 10, 2012 04:41AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments The November Book of the Month is, The Vesuvius Club, The Vesuvius Club (Lucifer Box, #1) by Mark Gatiss by Mark Gatiss.

Enjoy..................

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I've started reading the Vesuvius Club 4 times now and cannot seem to get past the first chapter! Has anyone else struggled to get going on this one?

I try to read all of our books of the month, but I might have to put it aside for a while and come back to it.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Sorry folks, I'm putting this book to one side for a month or so. I don't know why, but I cannot get into it. Probably have another go in the new year! What does everyone else think of it?