Webcomic Wonderland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > November Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Oct 16, 2012 01:50PM) (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments In honor of Thanksgiving(in America at least)the theme for this month is FOOD! It can be about food(restaurants, chefs, etc.) or it can have some sort of food or beverage in the title. Nominations for November will be accepted through October 15.
Nominations:
Rice Boy
Hot Chocolate
Kawaii Not

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I'll nominate Rice Boy.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
I'll nominate Hot Chocolate.

I would nominate Strawberry Death Cake, but upon perusal it just started and only has 10 comics so far, so wouldn't be much of a monthly read.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Yes, I would prefer a bit more comics than that :)

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "Yes, I would prefer a bit more comics than that :)"

Heh. I can see the discussions now: "I really enjoyed the third panel of page 7, but thought the fifth panel of page 9 failed to fully capitalize on it's potential." ;)

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I actually like the sound of that discussion. I never take enough time to fully enjoy each panel.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Now that you mention it - me too. Even for the comics with amazing art and lots of detail I'm sure only a small fraction of it really registers as I read. I get caught up in plot or humor and speed along...

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments That's one thing that I like about the webcomic format. Because most webcomics update only a page at a time, you have to spend more time appreciating each page. I feel like I notice more nuances in webcomics than I do in printed comics.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
That's interesting - I'm close to opposite. With webcomics I tend to read the new page and move on (to different comic, email, etc). With print comics since I'm spending more time on a single title at once and its easy to flip back a few pages to see things building I notice more subtleties.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) Mike wrote: "I'll nominate Hot Chocolate.

I would nominate Strawberry Death Cake, but upon perusal it just started and only has 10 comics so far, so wouldn't be much of a monthly read."

The author of SDC must have removed the beginning from the site because I know I started reading it long before August 6th of this year. There's also none of the stories I remember but the art is similar, so it must be the same comic. I think it went off the rails - there were spotty updates and then none at all, so maybe he decided to start over. I stopped reading for the shameless fanservice and paper-thin plots anyway so maybe, hopefully, it will be better now?

Anyway, s'pose I should do some nominating now. Kawaii Not for many food-related strips.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Interesting. I had never heard of it until now. Hope you're right about it improving - from the few pages there it seems like it has potential.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) I looked over it and the art is much better this time around. It looks like the author's taking the paranormal storylines more seriously this time as well. Before it got oddly slapstick at times.

The weirdest thing is, I decided to stop reading it in June and now he's rebooted it in August. Maybe I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "I looked over it and the art is much better this time around. It looks like the author's taking the paranormal storylines more seriously this time as well. Before it got oddly slapstick at times...."

Oh, wow. Looked at his link to the old comic - the current art is EONS better than the old stuff. With so little to judge the story on at this point it's really the art and atmosphere that got me interested. Based on a five minute perusal I'm not sure I would've read the old one...

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) I don't know why I stuck with it for so long. It was an interesting concept that was just all over the place. Not sure if this is a (view spoiler) but I figured I'd label it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.