The Bridgeburners discussion

Burned Out

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryanpat) | 4 comments I started reading Malazan in January, and I was able to read a book a month. Once I got to Toll the Hounds I was hit by a major burn out. I made it 300 pages in and I can't convince myself to get back into it, even though I know it will be worth it.

I even read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy so that I could give myself a bit of a break. Should I continue reading, or should I put Toll away and start again on down the road? Or should I wait an even longer while and restart the whole damn series with my current knowledge helping me along?

I'm just looking for advice.

The Crimson Fucker (Feanor01) | 53 comments Id go for it... toll the hounds its freaking beautiful! Not to mention that having it fresh in your memories helps with all the characters and plot lines... still! I can totally see somebody feeling overwhelmed but the uh... hugeness of the whole series! Still! Toll the hounds... and you 300 pages into it already! You must know by know that shit its gonna go down in Dajuristan! Can you honestly tell me you don't wanna see what?

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I am with Alfonso on this one. toll the hounds was the best book in the series at that stage. It took the story to another level and was the book that hooked me into the complete series.

You are about to reap the rewards for all the work you have done so far by sticking with the story. Don't give up now, it's only going to get better.

message 4: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Shelley (Shelley69) | 172 comments Mod
Hey Ryan!!!

Sorry for the delayed response, it's been a fun summer!!

Dude you SOOOOOOOOOO have to finish this series! Don't put the books down for a break, you'll forget very important facts if you do that! I know this series seems like a lot, but honestly it's the best series I HAVE EVER read! Both Lee and Alfonso will tell you I've begged people to read Erikson, so don't make me beg you, I'll do it!

Honestly you won't regret it, and if anything you should feel changed by it!

Hope this helps!

W/R
Shells:)

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryanpat) | 4 comments Thank you all. It was a busy weekend, but I finally got away from the 300 page mark. You're right. Once I got back into the swing of things it was like spending time with long-lost friends. As frustrating as it's been to get back into this book, I think taking a break was a great idea for me. I'm feeling refreshed and I think I'm ready to tackle the last three books. It's going to be a great ride.

message 6: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Frig Ryan, you HAVE NO IDEA the ride you're in for!!! MWHAMWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.....

The Crimson Fucker (Feanor01) | 53 comments Gua! Begging people to read some Malazan awesomeness... did it work? I've come close!! So so close! But mah stupid pride... and fears of sounding like one of those jesus freaks with the bible... but I want to! Oh god! So badly! Its so awesome!

message 8: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

HAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAAAAA....you have no idea the lengths I've gone to to get people to read Steven Erikson's work!! I've bought and given the first three books to more people. My thought process was EVENTUALLY the person would feel guilty enough that they may read them....and THEN they were mine!!!!! :)

Soooooooooo Alfonso do it!! Sell SE, that way he'll never stop writing!!! OHHHHHHHH I can't wait for Forge of Darkness!!!! Soon!!!!!!!!!!

The Crimson Fucker (Feanor01) | 53 comments Dude! I keep buying GotM every now and them! I keep trying! And trying! But people be afraid of its size (that's what she said)! I gave a copy of GotM to a bodega owner when he told me after seeing me reading midnight tides that he heard it was awesome... but he never read it! I kept coming back hoping to have him ask for the second one (that I offer to give him it he liked. The first) BUT HE NEVER DID! Sadness!

message 10: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Hahahahahahahahahhaahhahaaaaaa.....I converted several people....whoot!! It took me a year of begging my BFF to read SE, when he finally did, forget about it, he was all over it!! Now we're racing to get the next book first!! :)

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Ryan - I definitely had to take a break. I'd read something lighter, and shorter, and then I tore back into the Malazans.

Personally I found TTH a bit confusing. Probably because I hadn't read the Esslemont installment. Erickson spreads the focus so much but I can keep track, Esslemont is too too much, couldn't keep track of most of the characters. There wasn't the depth.

message 12: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) I got "burned out" so to speak after book 7. The ending was very satisfying but I was dreading all the hard work you have to put in at the beginning of each book. Reapers Gale had a satisfying finish and I thought it was a good place to give the series away. I think I had a six week break or so getting into my to-read list before I started feeling Hmmm, I miss my old friends, and then I picked up Toll The Hounds and didn't stop till I finished the series. I think I just needed that mental break.

I think the Mistborn series(which I've started listening to on Audible) would make a good break in between Malazan books if you need a mental break, because the styles are so different and reading Brian Sanderson is like heaven.

message 13: by Ryan (last edited Sep 24, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Ryan | 3 comments I'd push through. If you wait too long, you'll forget what happened in RG, which is pretty crucial to the plot of DoD/TCG.

That said, TtH is probably my favorite book in the series. I love all the characters and the setting, and it has several of the most kick butt scenes in the series, most of which are personal as opposed to huge set pieces. Plus, I think it where SE gets his philosophy on hard core...it reminded me of War and Peace.

message 14: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Ryan wrote: "I'd push through. If you wait too long, you'll forget what happened in RG, which is pretty crucial to the plot of DoD/TCG.

That said, TtH is probably my favorite book in the series. I love all t..."

I think I loved Dust of Dreams the best, (next to Midnight Tides) the poetry was amazing to the point that I still have some lines that pop up in my head "one step ahead of you, one step behind, look up, look up one time before I am gone."

I'm missing the poetry in Forge of Darkness! :(

Anyway PUSH THRU you won't regret it!!!!

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I like that there is no poetry in Forge of Darkness because Shells can't nag me for not reading it.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Heh, I gloss over the poetry parts too.

The Crimson Fucker (Feanor01) | 53 comments Who needs poetry when you got Hust Legions!?

message 18: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 3 comments I glossed over the poetry the first time through. The second time, I realized that a) it was actually really good, and b) it was sometimes thematically critical to a particular chapter, or even the book(s). In all fairness, I do think it gets better as the books progress.

message 19: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) I like the subtext in Urusander's conversation with the artist, flipping the bird to the critics. In other words "Don't enslave me with your opinions."
So the question is, did Erikson leave out the poetry in response to criticism, or was the exclusion truly unfettered?

Now my head hurts.

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 3 comments David Sven wrote: "I like the subtext in Urusander's conversation with the artist, flipping the bird to the critics. In other words "Don't enslave me with your opinions."

I took that conversation as a direct dialog with the audience. I'm not sure why the poetry, came out. Maybe Gallan is the only poet, and he is quoted in the chapters by the characters? But there have to be more than just him....

message 21: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) Well the Prelude is Gallan addressing Fisher and setting the book up as his version of the story.

message 22: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Ryan gets a gold star for seeing the error of his ways! Lee, into the corner with you!!!!

High Fist Shells:)

message 23: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryanpat) | 4 comments I finished Toll the Hounds last night. Oh my god...I was not expecting this book to be as great as it turned out to be. I feel it was the darkest of all the series up to this point, but the end was also one of triumph and I can't help but feel like the good guys won this round. I wasn't prepared for Rake's sacrifice, for the variety of emotions that hit me once I realized Mother Dark had returned to her children. And Harrlo! Gods, Harrlo!

The Crimson Fucker (Feanor01) | 53 comments I told ya! Those last 200 pages are fucking mind blowing! Too much awesomeness! Even pust vs Krupee was awesome!

message 25: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) And Leff and Scorch were awesome. Half a brain between them but when they're in a panic they shoot straighter.

message 26: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (last edited Oct 12, 2012 12:39PM) (new)

Ryan wrote: "I finished Toll the Hounds last night. Oh my god...I was not expecting this book to be as great as it turned out to be. I feel it was the darkest of all the series up to this point, but the end was..."

Yay Ryan!!! Good for you!! Those last 200 pages is some of the best writing ever, well next to the last 300 pages of tCG that is! :)

I finished Forge of Darkness, and OMG is it GREAT!!!! I've almost finished writing a character discripton of who each charater is then I'll open a folder so we can discuss Forge!!! :)

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Yes! Yes! But why don't you add your initial thoughts/questions/ruminations in that thread, because I don't want to wait!

message 28: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) A character description, interesting, I look forward to reading that.

message 29: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

I just posted a new discussion for Forge! :)

Oh and Lee the character discriptions was just me writing out everything I remembered about each character, so when we discuss I will remember better each character! :) I tell you it took me a couple days! :))