Debate discussion

Other Debates > Are Disney Princesses Anti-Feminist?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Alright, I'm going to ask you a quick question, then I have to go.
Do you think Disney Princesses are Anti-Feminist, teaching little girls to be anti-feminist, or all of the above?

message 2: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments All of the above. Disney princesses are always so sad until their prince comes along! They cant support themselves or do anything to better their lives without some handsome prince.

Just like twilight. Pisses me off.

xD

message 3: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments hahaha, awesome question... somebody has too much time for thinking :\
and i guess i agree... :D haha...

message 4: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments :PP
DOUBLE TOUNGE STICKING OUT THINGY!! HAHA!

message 5: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments aaaand somebody has too many tongues... :/

message 6: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Lol

message 7: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments the original ones (cinderella, ariel, aurora) are antifeminist, but recently disney seems to have gotten its act together.

message 8: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments bit. lol

message 9: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments well, you have people like mulan, too.

message 10: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Yeah Mulan was cool.

message 11: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments :D

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ariel...well, good point...but she's still my favorite, I was obsessed with her when I was little.

message 13: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments thats ok. mine was aurora.

message 14: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Let me tell you something Chandani:
The Disney Princesses you are describing are based off of other fairy tales, where the princesses did the exact same thing. Plus they were made during a time that women weren't thought of very highly.

But I think they are racist too. The majority of their princesses are white, and the two that aren't are always the ones who are the strongest. (Following me?)

I don't know what to think though.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

hmmm...
weird...

message 16: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments :D

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Riley wrote: "Let me tell you something Chandani:
The Disney Princesses you are describing are based off of other fairy tales, where the princesses did the exact same thing. Plus they were made during a time tha..."

i agree with you, riley. i totally get what you're saying about the racism.

mariah:

i agree, i think they have been getting their act together a little, although it could be much much better.

message 18: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Chandani wrote: "All of the above. Disney princesses are always so sad until their prince comes along! They cant support themselves or do anything to better their lives without some handsome prince.

Just like twi..."

You said it all!

message 19: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments the princesses are white because many fairy tales are european.

message 20: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments but i agree.

message 21: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments of course it could be better...

message 22: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I see no harm in little girls growing up watching disney princess movies. as they get older, they'll see how shallow they are, so it doesn't matter. although i must say, i was never really into any of those movies -- except for Mulan, which is very feminist, of course. :) heehee. i always found the rest of them kinda dull. of course, i was a strange child and spent most of the time watching "the nightmare before christmas" over and over again. O.o uh yeah. moving on. lol

message 23: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments haha, i did that too... cuz my brother was always watching it.... :D ....but yeah, i really have nothing to say here that's 'on topic', so um...

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ :) haha

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
Almost all of the princesses needed rescuing. Except for Mulan, Pocahontas, and a little bit of Bell. And though Meg needed rescuing in Hercules, she was still pretty kick-butt.

message 26: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ ooh i loved beauty and the beast too. belle is cool. she reads a lot XD yay

message 27: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments oh, i did watch mulan, that one was kinda cool, and not particularly feminist.... agh, the second one i couldn't finish though, i was laughing too hard when whatsisname fell off the cliff and my sister made me leave... but yeah, first one was all "girls can beat stuff up too", so yeahhhz...

message 28: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) GOD i hated the hercules movie. it was so mythologically incorrect!!! hades is NOT evil and is NOT the reason hercules died, i mean when he did die in the real myth, it was HERA and they called him HERCULES when the greek name is actually HERAKLES gods i hated it....

message 29: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments and isn't hades not a person, but a place? like, the greek version of hell, basically?

message 30: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) NO OMGS he is the lord of the underworld, which shares his name, which includes the fields of punishment, (hell) the fields of asphodel (boring heaven) and some sort of awesome mountain where heroes who dies in battle go(cool heaven). he is NOT in ANY WAY evil although he is often portrayed that way because he is the lord of the dead, but he can be devious. but he had, and never will, have any interest in herakles!!

and i KNOW that in the movie they were incorrect because hercules is ROMAN and the roman name for hades is PLUTO soooooooooo that movie was just WRONG and INCORRECT and just BLA i hate new disney. old is fine, but new, with all the jonas brothers hannah montana crap is AWFUL.

message 31: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments ah, i see... wow, you know your stuffs...

hahaha, but they couldn't call him pluto, could they? i mean, being a disney movie, he would've been compared to a certain satanic mouse's pet dog, soooo.... hahahaha... oh, and the satanic thing was a joke, btw...

message 32: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) wait what?

yeah i know greek myths, i have been studying it on my own for about 6 months.

message 33: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments mickey mouse's dog = pluto.

kewl... :D

message 34: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) oh haha get it lol.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

I don;t think the aim of the movie was to be correct, just make a good story.

message 36: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) if its about mythology, it should DAMN be correct. its just like making a book into a movie, only worse because greek mythology used to be a religion!!!!

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Why is that worse?

Yes, I can understand that, because the Order of the Phoenix was so incomplete. I almost hated that movie. Which is sad, because I love the books.

message 38: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments (( o My teacher got a poster of the 6th movie with all of the charter's (the actors) signed it + J.K. signed it too it was so cool, sorry))

message 39: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i love greek mythology!! and the percy jackson books!! yessss!!! XD

message 40: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Mythology, in any form, is interesting just because of how much their gods compare to ours, and how humanized their gods were.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

They had fun gods, that weren't perfect. That's why the stories are still being told, it's interesting.

message 42: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments Emma the Dork wrote: "NO OMGS he is the lord of the underworld, which shares his name, which includes the fields of punishment, (hell) the fields of asphodel (boring heaven) and some sort of awesome mountain where hero..."

he kidnapped persephone. that's kinda bad.

message 43: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (MariahStar) | 207 comments i think all the gods were jerks except for athena, she was awesome. i know alot about greek myths, but not the movie hercules. i agree, it should be correct.

message 44: by Lauren (new)

"he kidnapped persephone. that's kinda bad."

That was bad, but he was lonely. He could have though of something else though.

message 45: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) yeah, it was bad, but a lot of other greek gods have done some immoral stuff too. GODS i hate hera she has some serious problems its funny how zeus raped a whle bunch of women like leeda. its funny! and also kind of frightening.

message 46: by Lauren (new)

The world of the Gods was like a soap opera. But it's more interesting then now.

message 47: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) yeah seriously lol.

message 48: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ totally.

message 49: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I love Athene. I spell her name both ways.

message 50: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yay! me too :D

« previous 1 3