Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
This topic is about Last Argument of Kings
The First Law Series > Last Argument of Kings-The Poison Trade thru Fortunes of War

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Dang but does this pick right up or what?

Looks like we are going to have more of Ardee here.....the jury is still out on whether that is a good or bad thing!

and Why do I get the feeling Glokta is about to raise the stakes?

I felt bad for Logen-going off to the North on his own, but things in Abercrombie land can change pretty quickly!

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Time to get into the story people!

Looking forward to sharing this book with y'all

Lisa | 10 comments I can't help but think that it's Bayaz that's raising the stakes. What is he up to with Yoru Sulfur and Lord Isher? Hmmm... He's also very obviously manipulating things where Jezal is concerned. And Jezal comes off as clueless - again.

I was happy to see Logen get back in the action when he joined the convoy of reinforcements for the Union. Loved it!

Jumping to the end of this section... when West saw blood in his eyes I thought he was going to go "Furious" on Kroy and Poulder! Those two are maddening!

Hanne (hanne2) OK - I'm a little scared to overshare here (i'm a little further in the book already, and i don't know exactly what happens just before or after the last chapter discussed here. I just couldn't wait, I had to keep reading!)

I like how book 3 really picks up. And along the way, it drops a few surprises I really didn't see coming! Right now, this one is my favorite of the series by far.

Similarly to Lisa, I was happy to see Logen back in the North, with his former crew and the Union. I also like the connection between West and the Northman. The contrast between them on one side and the incapable Kroy-Pouder duo is just gigantic. I'm not sure how the Union survived until now with people like that in command.

Jezal is still clueless, but at least it's getting fun for us. Except perhaps the Ardee business. I still don't know what to make of her.
I have similar issues with the Malacus Quai, somehow i was expecting him to really contribute to the story already in book 2 and that did not happen. So far in book 3 he seems to do even less, (At least in book 2 he took out a pan when it was needed)

message 5: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I need to find my paperback copy of this. I plan to read it, next after Lord of Chaos. Join you in a week or so.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Ok, this story is really starting to pick up pace. I am not sure If I am commenting past where I am supposed to, but anyway......

Jezal, two steps forward, one step backwards. Promotion seems to be bringing out the old prejudices in him. He can't decide what he wants/needs to do.
Ardee. Well this could develop into a snaky story, if Abercrombie plays on her drinking/abused issues, then Jezal is going to find it very difficult understanding what is going on.

The nine fingers story is developing again, i am missing the by-play between Logan and Ferro, but the story certainly is interesting with Logan back with the Northmen. I was expecting a bit more of a warmer welcome, but I am not starting to understand just how much a 'bad bastard' nine fingers is/was. He doesn't seem any safer with his allies as he does his enemies. I am really starting to like Dogman, good character development.
I still have no idea that Quai is going to do, he seems to be in a position to suddenly make a huge difference to the story, but I can't think what.

I think I know what is planned for Jezal, Bayez is the Puppet Master. He is either going to push him into leading the armies, (Grand Marshall Burr is most likely going to die soon) or try to make him King. Probably the first one, because I don't think he can make him King without him being on the open council, which of course he is not a member of.

Look forward to getting into this more tonight.

message 7: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
I am really enjoy how this is shaping up too. Exciting!

Hanne (hanne2) Lee wrote: "I still have no idea that Quai is going to do, he seems to be in a position to suddenly make a huge difference to the story, but I can't think what.

Agreed. I can't think Abercrombie would have written him in if his only action is getting Logen in book 1, and hitting the enemy with a pan in book 2. He must have another role in the story in the end right?!?
the only other thing which i found intriguing, is somewhere in book 3 the comment from Quai to Ferro that 'at least she is free'. That indeed does suggest huge Puppet-Mastery from Bayaz, which you can't escape anymore once you're in.

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments I'm looking forward to "The Feared" vs "The Bloody Nine." That's gotta be coming right?

I'm glad Practical Frost is given a few more speaking parts than last book. His "Pedestrian" joke when Glokta has the navigator's foot on the anvil was choice - or should I say "thoith"

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) @ Hannee yes Quai was about to give up a lot more there but stopped when Bayez entered. I do expect him to be a part of this story later on, I think he will upset Bayez's plans somehow.

(view spoiler)

Maggie, can you start the next thread, I dont want to write anything in here that hasn't happened yet, but I cant stop reading and need somewhere to write :)

message 11: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Zawadzki | 46 comments Given the circumstances under which the rebellion was "put down," I must say I knew where things were headed with that plot thread - especially since an upcoming chapter was called The Kingmaker. Jezal is so completely screwed. Not that West's situation is much better, mind you, or the Northmen's. What a delightful cluster-. Looking forward to see how things turn out.

I must say I'm a little concerned by the hand-waving around Bayaz and this almost magical "solve all the problems." I love wizards, and he obviously has had a plan for many years, but the explanation of how he managed to convince a bunch of rebelling peasants to just give up the fight and walk away (much less how he turns a bunch of self-interested courtiers into his eager supporters) had better be very convincing. We get very little information about what magic can and can't accomplish, and that makes it more difficult to distinguish what the author had planned all along from what was made up on the spot to solve problems in a cool-seeming way. That's shaking ground to walk, but I hope he pulls it off.

Definitely enjoying the book so far otherwise.