Thomas Pynchon discussion

V.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marius (new)

Marius Hancu | 2 comments Let's add a thread on V.

message 2: by Marius (new)

Marius Hancu | 2 comments What was your take on "V." showing up this late in the novel? There was no tension/mystery up to that point, just Pynchon's style. You know those recommendations re the hook. The hook is Pynchon's style, that's what it is.

NO SPOILERS, please, still going at it.

message 3: by Michael (last edited Mar 12, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Michael | 5 comments I just completed AtD and loved it. I had only read GR before that, three or four times going back to about 1973. I recently reread GR and then decided to tackle the rest of Pynchon's work, starting with AtD. I followed that up with Crying of Lot 49, then Mason & Dixon, Inherent Vice, Vineland, and finally, V. which I am reading now.

I find myself having a difficult time with V., more than any of his other novels. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, but I haven't found the "flow" just yet, at about 100 pages in. While it's clearly Pynchon, I find his style quite a bit different from his later work.

I will continue my journey in search of V. and report back later. Glad to have found this group!

message 4: by John (new)

John Hill (jwhill1) | 13 comments GR was my intro to Pynchon, though on first attempt I couldn't finish. This was around 1979 and I just felt lost. I was used to more linear, cause & effect works. I bought the paperback of V. and found it a easier intro to him and his style. This was followed by Lot 49. Then, over the years, I finally finished GR and have reread several times, the last with a "companion" to assist with some of the nomenclature. (I always wanted to use the word nomenclature!) Fast forward to 2013 and I wait with crackhead-like anticipation for Bleeding Edge...

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean Nolan (opus_crokus) | 2 comments My first... stole it from the Clemson library while visiting Mindy

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim One approach to V. is to look at it as a re-write of The Recognitions.

message 7: by Ohenrypacey (new)

Ohenrypacey | 16 comments I was sure only Pierre Menard could have re-written TR.

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean Nolan (opus_crokus) | 2 comments I've found Pynchon to be a rather polarizing figure... I like him!!

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Ohenrypacey wrote: "I was sure only Pierre Menard could have re-written TR."

And surely he would have if he had lived a few decades longer...