Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

Romance/Chick-Lit > Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) YUCK. I feel like I need to read all the books my kids might potentially read, just to screen out this sort of junk being read. Like if my daughter ever wants to read Twilight, I'll let her but we'll be having a lot of conversations about healthy relationships and responses to break-ups.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "YUCK. I feel like I need to read all the books my kids might potentially read, just to screen out this sort of junk being read. Like if my daughter ever wants to read Twilight, I'll let her but we'..."

I purchased this one and it's on my list. I HOPE my experience is different! LOL

message 3: by Sophia-Maria (new)

Sophia-Maria (augustineofelsinore) | 37 comments Really? My cousin read it and she loved it !It's on my to-read list but I guess I'll slow it down. Btw, my cousin't fifteen and she actually told me there are some violent sex scenes she didn't even read them.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you all... The book had potential to be good but in the end I just kept thinking that the Author was just writing stuff to keep the book going. I mean how much drama can someone go through?
Then there's the lead male character who is completely controlling, violent and has this huge temper. I'm all for guys standing up for their girl but that just took it to the next level.
Abby was okay, she definitely got old... not really any depth to her. (view spoiler)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments I loved it, personally. And you have to keep in mind the label of "YA" does not indicate the age of the reader, but rather the characters

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments As a rebuttal to the devil's advocate, technically, Beautiful Disaster is marketed as a 'New Adult' book:

From Wikepedia:
New-adult fiction
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

New-adult Fiction or post-adolescent literature is a recent category of fiction for young adults first proposed by St. Martin's Press in 2009.[1] St. Martin’s Press editors wanted to address the coming-of-age that also happens in a young person’s twenties. They wanted to consider stories about young adults who were legally adults, but who were still finding their way in building a life and figuring out what it means to be an adult.[2]
Contents

Marketing

This category is intended to be marketed to post-adolescents and young-adults ages 14 to 35. This age group is considered to be the lucrative 'cross-over' category of young-adult titles that appeal to both the young-adult market and to an adult audience.[3] Publishers of young-adult fiction now favor this category as it encompasses a far broader audience.[4] The chief features that distinguish this category from Young-adult fiction are the perspective of the young antagonist and the scope of the antagonist's life experience. Perspective is gained as childhood innocence fades and life experience is gained, which brings insight. It is this insight which is lacking in traditional young-adult fiction.[5]
2009 to Present (2012)

Following the end of the St. Martin's Press contest,[1] the new adult category has become increasing popular through self-publishing. Major New York publishers are taking self-published authors of these titles and acquiring them for mass market sales. Some authors include:

Tammara Webber for Easy[6]
Jamie McGuire for Beautiful Disaster[7]
Colleen Hoover for Slammed and Point of Retreat[8]

Authors

Some popular authors of the category include [9] :

Jamie McGuire
Jessica Park
Tammara Webber
Steph Campbell
Liz Reinhardt
Abbi Glines
Colleen Hoover
Lynn Rush

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments But, obviously I was misinformed regarding my earlier comment, I genuinely thought that the new definition of YA just meant the age of the characters. I've also been frustrated at 'YA' labels on books that I feel even teens have no business reading (IMO), thanks for correcting my misconception

message 8: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Oct 20, 2012 06:16PM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments While I did enjoy the book, I completely agree that it's inappropriate for teen (especially young side of teen) readers. It seems there are tons of books out there, usually with senior-to-college aged protagonists that are racier than a Harlequin romance novel. While I may enjoy these book personally (I am a 30+ aged adult) I am shocked to see books like House of Night (or House of Slut as I like to refer them as) on the YA shelves in the local library.

While I am against book banning and censorship, something needs to happen. Authors are trying to jump on the YA bandwagon thanks to the popularity of Twilight and such but seem to be writing books for adults rather than the teens they label as their audience. When I was growing up, you had a choice of Nancy Drew, or Sweet Valley High, Tales from the Darkside, Goosebumps- all age and subject appropriate. Or, if you were mature (and allowed) you got your hands on adult, knowing they were adult, knowing that you would/could run across 'adult' subject matter.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Sarajayne wrote: "While I didn't care for Beautiful Disaster I don't think it's a horrible book or anything, I just have some personal experience with what the book is about (with a family member), and seeing this labeled as a YA book just really hit a nerve. "

I totally understand, and I went into reading it knowing it was exactly like it's title. Their relationship really is a beautiful disaster. I would hate to think of any young female still trying to 'find' herself reading this and thinking that this (or 50 Shades, or even Twilight) is a relationship that is desirable. It's not. It's really just not. Although, I may be somewhat of a hypocrite because I was reading Stephen King and Anne Rice and V.C. Andrews and all kinds of 'ugly' relationship kind of books as a younger teen... go figure.

message 10: by Jax (new)

Jax LOL - It seems I'm not the only one who preferred King/Koontz in HS!
I much preferred the "horrors" and Thrillers as a teenager...
but I have to agree with the YA genre - I was surprised when I found Charlaine Harris in the YA Section at Exclusive Books! (with the damn HBO stickers and all!)
So I asked the store clerks if they knew that the TV series was Rated 18? They all looked at me with blank expressions... Its actually what got me started reading YA - I decided it would be better if I'd proofed the books before offering them to my daughters... :D Come across a few that are most definitely NOT what I'd give a teenager to read! LOL

message 11: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "But, obviously I was misinformed regarding my earlier comment, I genuinely thought that the new definition of YA just meant the age of the characters. I've also been frustrated at 'YA' labels on b..."

Actually, this is true of so many 'YA' books nowadays. I've read a number that have sex scenes.

message 12: by Jax (new)

Jax I think for me its the raunch factor...
My mom warned me as a teen ( I think I was around 15 or 16) that there were a few scenes in Sidney Sheldon's books - but in comparison they were almost glossed over - you knew what they were doing, but didn't get every detail... whereas some of the so called YA books these days are rather descriptive!
especially if they're counting the TrueBlood novels as YA!
Having said this - its no wonder kids are becoming sexually active at such a young age!
**Searches internet for possible purchase of chastity belts!** ;D

message 13: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Chastity belts... now there's an idea. Sending the girls off to convents has also crossed my mind.

message 14: by Jax (last edited Oct 22, 2012 08:30AM) (new)

Jax LMAO!! ;D

I don't even trust the convent - Mine will just be under constant house arrest... Where I can keep a VERY close eye on visitors!! MWHAHAHA

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments That's why I'm happy I have two boys. I only have to worry about their penis', rather than every penis in the world

message 16: by Jax (new)

Jax LOL - Alana, if my Nephew was anything to go by,
I still feel sorry for you!
you have to meet all the oddball girls he drags home!
And Thanks to my nephew, I have discovered that there are a goodly number of those that you simply want to stop at the door, and say No - Stay OUT! LMAO!!

message 17: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Oh my, Jax and Alana! I have a boy AND a girl, so I get to have both experiences. Things to look forward to. Thank God someone invented chocolate.