The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Good Omens (Gaimen & Pratchett)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments So I read Statdust and was not impressed. But I've heard that Neil Gaiman is very versatile so I wasn't crossing him of my list completely. Had this assigned by a face2face group - man what a fun book!

I'm really enjoying it so far.

-- Wife of GR author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I really enjoyed that one. I think you will like this one if you enjoy British humor. I do, so I giggled my butt off throughout most of it. Especially the Wasabi. (I'm giggling right now thinking about it!)

The one thing that made me rank this one 4 stars instead of 5 was that it jumped around quite a bit, and it was sometimes hard to figure out where the worm-hole had just dropped me, but that's really my only complaint!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
I read this one ages ago. I remember really enjoying it and look forward to your discussions (to jog my memory)

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments So my favorite part so far is when the demon and the angel are drunk and discussing the size of brains of dolphin's and whales and how they will all die when the seas start to boil. I can just imagine the two writers each taking on a persona and inprovising that discussion. I laughed all through it.

message 5: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments did you read american gods?

it was my favourite, also if you want to see gaiman's versatalaty at work i would recommed Smoke and Mirrors Short Fictions and Illusions- its a collection of shor-stories whit very diferent subejcts.

but we're talking about good omens. i read it last year and liked it, but I still like there one works better. I keeped thinkinh what is gaimn and what is prachett.

I loved the teory that any K7 turns into a best of queen whit time.

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments I have not read American Gods but it is one of the one's I was going to try in my "post Stardust" reading. I was on the bus today reading Good Omens and literarly LOL'd - I wonder what those on the bus thought ;-)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) aww, I love books that make me laugh! This is pretty far down my TBR pile right now, I might have to bump it up.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments Robin wrote: "I have not read American Gods but it is one of the one's I was going to try in my "post Stardust" reading. I was on the bus today reading Good Omens and literarly LOL'd - I wonder what those on th..."

I read this about a year ago and had several LOL moments in public. I would forget myself, let out a laugh, then remember where I was and kind of look around sheepishly... I really, really liked Good Omens. I've read and liked other Neil Gaiman novels, but after reading Good Omens I have to try some Terry Pratchett.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Kim, check out Pratchett's Discworld series. If I had to choose a novel from that series to start with (don't start with the first couple of novels...Terry hadn't found his voice yet, I think), I'd start with Guards! Guards! I laughed till I cried. :)

message 10: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments Jill wrote: "Kim, check out Pratchett's Discworld series. If I had to choose a novel from that series to start with (don't start with the first couple of novels...Terry hadn't found his voice yet, I think), I'd..."

I loved guards!guards!guards! and also Men at arms. I love the watch, those are my favourite books. I also like the whitches books

message 11: by Becky (last edited Feb 05, 2009 11:18AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Just curious, but does Pratchett's Discworld series have to be read in order? Or are they just books set in the same world but not chronological?

I'd like to read them, but I am SO picky about series books, I can't read them out of order.

message 12: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments its best if you read them in order. but you really dont have to. there are a lot of diferent characthers in the series.

there are 4 groups: the wizard rinwind (the ones I like the less), death, the watch and the witches. its better to read the books about which set of characters in order.

weer is a link to the series reading order:http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...

its quite overhelming lol

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments That link is really helpful. Thanks!

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Thanks Bnoir... I'll take a look!

message 15: by Jill (last edited Feb 05, 2009 04:12PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Bnoir's list is as good one. LSpace is the place for all things Pratchett. Starting points for each of the story arcs roughly are:

The Watch books: Guards! Guards!
The Witch books: Wyrd Sisters
The Death books: Mort
The Rincewind/Wizard books: Colour of Magic.

The Watch books are my favorites. They're great if you like pop culture and political satire.

The Witch books are great if you like fairy tales and fantasy creatures turned on their heads.

The Death books are great if you like books that focus on the nature of humanity in general (Death is fascinated by humans and tries to imitate them...he's also a big softy when it comes to cats).

The Rincewind books are good if you like adventure stories (which is what the first two books of the Rincewind arc really are) as well as stories that poke fun at cultural stereotypes and the mistakes that people sometimes make when in foreign countries.

There are also the offshoots of each series and the stand alone books.

The Tiffany Aching books, written for a young adult audience but still amazing, are companion books to the Witch storylines.

The Moist Von Lipwig (yes, he's aware of how ridiculous his name is) books, Going Postal and Making Money, are offshoots of the Watch books, as are The Truth and Monstrous Regiment. All take place in the largest city on Discworld, Ankh-Morpork.

Death's books are combined with the stories of his granddaughter, Susan Sto Helit.

Can you tell I'm a fan? ;)

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments I just finished this book. I loved it. I think I was expecting a bit more from the ending then I got but all in all not disappointed - I would love to "hang out" with Crowley and Aziraphale. They have great rapport.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments I'm really glad you liked it, Robin. It's one of those books in my collection that I loan out and never get back. How did you like The Them? I still giggle when I think about their attempt to hold an Inquisition. :)

message 18: by Robin (last edited Feb 09, 2009 01:34PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Yes the inquisition was priceless - I really like the argument over the onions being spanish or french. I think my favorite though was when Crowley and Azphriel(sp) were drunk and discussing the dolphins and whales having their brains boiled. I also loved when discussing the war correspondents paper that they did an interiew with the Secretary of the United Nations and they asked him if he had seen Elvis -- brillant !!

message 19: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) | 41 comments Loved Good Omens ! It definitely has me wanting to start Pratchett's Discworld series !

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments American Gods is best appreciated when you aren't expecting the same satire/humor as in Good Omens. It's even better if you've studied ancient mythology to pinpoint the gods presented in the book. There's this one joke about mistletoe that had me rolling; if you don't know the reference, you'll miss the foreshadowing.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 5 comments I love Good Omens! It is one of my absolute favourite books. I've read it a number of times and I always laugh out-loud. In fact, whenever I read other Neil Gaimen books I'm a bit disapointed to find it's not as funny or twisted as Good Omens. The Agnes Nutter story line is possibly my fav bit, although the bit about Azriphael's books and the 'bugger-all-this-for-a-lark' bible is absolutely fantastic!