Restoree Restoree discussion

Inconsistencies

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriel (last edited Apr 17, 2013 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gabriel Sara’s Restoration
I understand why she would need a skin graft after being skinned alive, but why did she need to be resculpted into a supermodel with a “perfect” nose? (My mind says, “Because the heroine just has to be beautiful, that’s why”, but I don’t really want to accept this answer.)
If Monsorlit did not restore her, then who did? (He says she came to his clinic exactly as she was – bronze and beautiful.) Which begs the next question - if in Monsorlit’s opinion Sara has not been restored, how can he use her as a living example of the benefits of restoration?

Restoration in general
What exactly is restoration?? At times it seems as though it is the practice of restoring false life to the dead, which would of course explain why Lotharians find it so unholy. But at other times in the story, restoration is described as simply being an intense healing process done to victims of extreme physical and/or mental trauma - in which case, it is absolutely absurd that everyone objects to it so.

Monsorlit
He drugged Harlan! And he plainly stated that he had very good (as in evil) reasons for wanting Harlan out of the picture. However, when this is brought up at the trial/hearing/whatever that was, the accusation is simply dismissed and life goes on. Furthermore, it never seems clear to me whether he was using the other nine asylum patients for evil or good. To be honest, I do not think the author had decided whether Monsorlit should be a good or evil character, and just went ahead and sent the book to print anyway.

Lotharians
Why are Lotharians described in some parts of the book as golden (apparently golden is the default colour there), but in other parts as white-faced or white-skinned?

Harlan
What does the Lady Maritha have to do with anything?? At first she seems to be responsible, by reason of being in cahoots, of drugging him into his stupor. Later, she is described as a pretty face that he liked. What?? She slept with him, and then drugged him, and then got annoyed because Sara was prettier than her (thanks to the new nose...)??

Although I generally enjoyed the author's writing style, those are just a few story elements that I felt like ranting about.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen re: the nose
The post on the internet where I first read about this book seemed to imply that it was meant as a satire against

Her first novel, “Restoree,” was published in 1967. A satirical work of science fiction for adults, it lampooned the genre’s portrayal of women as helpless chattel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/art...